The Student Room Group

EU Referendum poll

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vickidc18
We wil be a 3rd world cesspit in 20 years if we stay, Turkey joining Albania and God knows who else the NHS will fail house prices will rise unless everyone who comes under freedom of movement is a doctor scientist and engineer (which we know is rubbish ) more likely to be car washers claiming working tax credits, pensions will fail because these people can't contribute . The economy will fail there will probably be mass riots, wars and generally a **** place to be . If we leave we can decide our fate rather than an unelected eu president in Brussels , skilled migration of talented people from across the globe .

I actually find it really funny that you try to accuse the "Stay" people of fearmongering, and then you come out with this rambling. There'll be mass riots and wars if we stay in the EU? What???? Do you mean the Daily Mail readers will throw a tantrum?

The NHS will fail? 26% of staff in the NHS were non-British as of 2014, so I'd say it's far more likely that the NHS will fail if we leave the EU.
TSR is not representative of the UK population :tongue:
The economy might suffer for a little bit but the country will in the long run will benefit from leaving we currently have to allow in unskilled people, we have to let them use the nhs, schools and can access housing that fishing quotas, farming is decided by the eu that we can be vetoed on matters that are very important to the u.k . What I'm saying is Canada , a Australia NZ are examples of why we dont need to be in a EU superstate to do well, that we can have trade agreements a sensible immigration policy and good economy. If the eu had not expanded to countries with vastly different economies we wouldn't be leaving
Original post by JordanL_
What countries are you referring to, exactly?

China prospers because most of its population have literally no workers rights. It's effectively cheap slave labour for the rest of the world, which is why most production is done there and why they have such a strong economy.

The US prospers largely because of its circumstances in the World Wars.

Who else is prospering? Let's have a look...

Germany? They're in the EU.

UK? We're in the EU.

France? They're in the EU too.

So, what countries are you referring to?

As for the facts, 27 out of 28 economists polled said that the British economy would be worse if we left the EU. Now I really wonder why you, and all the other leave voters, know so much more about the economy than actual economists.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the idea that our economy will be worse off, the question is how much worse off will it be?

As for using examples of countries in the EU that are prospering, there are a bunch more in the EU which are doing horrendously and for those outside the EU that do prosper there's Switzerland and Norway for one and also look further east, Iran and Taiwan are doing pretty damn well despite having pretty much no external support
Original post by Attercop
TSR is not representative of the UK population :tongue:

You're right. It's filled with an unproportional amount of left-wingers and non-UK citizens.
Reply 45
What countries are you referring to, exactly?

China prospers because most of its population have literally no workers rights. It's effectively cheap slave labour for the rest of the world, which is why most production is done there and why they have such a strong economy.

The US prospers largely because of its circumstances in the World Wars.

Who else is prospering? Let's have a look...

Germany? They're in the EU.

UK? We're in the EU.

France? They're in the EU too.

So, what countries are you referring to?

As for the facts, 27 out of 28 economists polled said that the British economy would be worse if we left the EU. Now I really wonder why you, and all the other leave voters, know so much more about the economy than actual economists.

That entire article was full of 'ifs', 'coulds', 'mights'...I said facts, not opinions. I was expecting to see graphs, data extracted from experimentation, policy that will be introduced, guarantees from other countries.

The poll did not even consider how much worse. Did 59% say a little bit worse? Did 10% say catastrophic? Did 90% say apocalyptic? This is PR at its greatest.

I never even said the economy would be better. No one can no whether it would or wouldn't. I am just quoting Cameron and governmental reports saying not much will change. Prosperity does not mean GDP growing at exponential rates. It has many interpretations. I favour the standard like GNI and general conditions.

You can pull many businesses, economists, Politicans and voters who swing one way or the other. You are too naive to look at it closer.

Why do more small and medium businesses oppose the EU while larger corporations like google support it? Is it that tax avoidance is more widespread under the EU? Cheaper labor with the EU? A bigger Monoply board? Do you not even questions these things? Big business loves the EU, but it does not benefit a working class voter so why should they vote for what big business wants? Look at TTIP, big business loves it, small business hates it. A big business will be able to dictate policy over a small business, you think that's fair?

You do not even regard the validity of the economists. There are 10,000s yet you quote 30 or so? Why? Were they picked based on bias. Who picked these economists, what were their views before they were economists? Are they liberal? Tory? Labour?

You need to ask more questions and stop taking everything you read in the papers as the word. There is a reason this story never made it to the bigger news outlets. They are required to source their material more vigorously. Why did they not promote this then?
Original post by vickidc18
We wil be a 3rd world cesspit in 20 years if we stay, Turkey joining Albania and God knows who else the NHS will fail house prices will rise unless everyone who comes under freedom of movement is a doctor scientist and engineer (which we know is rubbish ) more likely to be car washers claiming working tax credits, pensions will fail because these people can't contribute . The economy will fail there will probably be mass riots, wars and generally a **** place to be . If we leave we can decide our fate rather than an unelected eu president in Brussels , skilled migration of talented people from across the globe .

Why would houses prices rise if people from Turkey/ Albania arrive here (as you did say that "everyone who comes under freedom of movement is a doctor scientist and engineer (which we know is rubbish ) more likely to be car washers claiming working tax credits...")?
I don't think someone from Turkey working on min. wage and on working tax credits would be able to pay £250,000 for a house...

Re pensions. I don't think we should expect to look forward to a pension in our old age what with an ageing population and rising life expectancy anyway, so no need to worry.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I don't think anyone disagrees with the idea that our economy will be worse off, the question is how much worse off will it be?

As for using examples of countries in the EU that are prospering, there are a bunch more in the EU which are doing horrendously and for those outside the EU that do prosper there's Switzerland and Norway for one and also look further east, Iran and Taiwan are doing pretty damn well despite having pretty much no external support

This should give you some idea of how much worse off we'll be. UK exports to the EU account for 15% of our GDP. That would decrease significantly.

In our analysis of the consequences of Brexit, we consider an ‘optimistic scenario’with small increases in trade costs between the UK and the EU, and a ‘pessimisticscenario’ with larger increases. In the optimistic case, Brexit reduces UK income by1.1% of GDP. In the pessimistic case, UK income falls by 3.1% (£50 billion per year).

I'd be really interested to see some leave voters try to dispute this.
Reply 48
An EU exit does not mean the UK economy will be harmed. There is no way to know for sure until an exit happens, but for every report that scaremongers about an exodus of companies and job losses, there are reports that refute them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11868526/Claims-Brexit-would-be-disastrous-for-trade-are-highly-misleading.html
Love how when it comes to the EU people suddenly think they're economists with well informed opinions on complicated economical matters.
Undecided (Which should really be a poll option).
Reply 51
Original post by NickLCFC
The new independence day film is being released a day after the EU referendum. This isn't a coincidence :h:

Let's be honest, Cameron has too much to lose. If he could rig it, would you put it past him?
I actually find it really funny that you try to accuse the "Stay" people of fearmongering, and then you come out with this rambling. There'll be mass riots and wars if we stay in the EU? What???? Do you mean the Daily Mail readers will throw a tantrum?

The NHS will fail? 26% of staff in the NHS were non-British as of 2014, so I'd say it's far more likely that the NHS will fail if we leave the EU.

Just because people are non-British doesn't mean they support the EU, it is because my family are non-British that they do not support the EU.

Although they don't work for the NHS, it's a similar role and I'd say plenty of non-British (by birth, plenty are British now) are not necessarily European.
Reply 53
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Love how when it comes to the EU people suddenly think they're economists with well informed opinions on complicated economical matters.

Even economists admit that their reliability in terms of forecasting is just as good as anyone else. Their success rate at predicting global economic dips is very low. The last 70 years are evidence for that. I forgot what economist said this but it was on question time and he said "always take an economic forecast with a large pinch of salt". My prediction is just as good as theirs considering the probability
Reply 54

UK exports to the EU may, or may not decrease. I wouldn't know tbf. But I'd assume any lost trade with the EU could be made up with increased trade outside the EU (in regions that are booming economically, unlike the long term future of the EU). It's not like the EU is the only game in town. :rolleyes:

Plus it's hard to see how large companies that have invested millions to set up and operate in the UK would suddenly up sticks and leave as soon as Brexit happens. Sounds like scaremongering.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55

You do realise UKIP policy for example says if we need doctors we will accept them. Why does the left always think controlled immigration means closed borders? If we need nurses and doctors we will accept, what happened to you for that logic to just disappear?
Original post by Dinasaurus
Just because people are non-British doesn't mean they support the EU, it is because my family are non-British that they do not support the EU.

Although they don't work for the NHS, it's a similar role and I'd say plenty of non-British (by birth, plenty are British now) are not necessarily European.

It's irrelevant whether they support the EU or not. 18 percent of doctors registering in the UK in 2007 were from the European Economic Area. The NHS is reliant on the EU.
Original post by Yawn!
UK exports to the EU may, or may not decrease. I wouldn't know tbf. But I'd assume any lost trade with the EU could be made up with increased trade outside the EU (in regions that are booming economically, unlike the long term future of the EU). It's not like the EU is the only game in town. :rolleyes:

Plus it's hard to see how large companies that have invested millions to set up and operate in the UK would suddenly up sticks and leave as soon as Brexit happens. Sounds like scaremongering.

The EU has measures in place, like tariffs and free trade, to increase trade among EU countries. In many cases it would simply be cheaper to import from the UK than from somewhere outside the EU because of this. This directly increases exports from the EU.

If we leave it's almost a certainty exports would decrease, because it would become more favourable to import from elsewhere. As for trading outside the EU, that's a big assumption to bet our economic future on.
It's irrelevant whether they support the EU or not. 18 percent of doctors registering in the UK in 2007 were from the European Economic Area. The NHS is reliant on the EU.

Well if they are qualified and need the work, I'm sure they can still come and work. I'm pretty sure cutting immigration is more for unskilled workers.

Also by taking less EU staff, it opens the doors for more people to come from Africa and Asia who are equally qualified.
Leave. Leaving doesn't mean we can't maintain good relationships and set up trade deals with the remaining European countries, I read that 'a brexit will set the UK back £11 billion!' however we are currently spending around £14 billion on our EU membership or something like that (can't say those figures are right, that's just what some research has thrown up) so we would actually be saving money (the difference is around 0.2% of our GDP per annum), when it comes to things like security we will still work closely with countries we have historical and cultural ties to like France to combat threats like ISIS, in a similar way we have a working relationship between Britain and American security services. With regards to trade again, leaving the EU means the UK can pursue international trade deals outside the dwindling EU with stronger powers like China and India which EU law currently prevents us from doing and personally this whole 'special status' thing is ridiculous, I think the countries of the EU should all be treated equally or get out.

Quick Reply

Latest