The Student Room Group

Torn between studying Higher Chemistry or just doing Higher RMPS?

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
You wouldn't be crashing higher chemistry in 6th year. Crashing is when you do the subject without doing N5. You could probably leave chemistry this year and maybe just do it next year because as you said, that is an option and your career paths are currently extremely different so maybe it's best you spend a year to think about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Also, what type of journalism are you think of? Have you considered taking modern studies? That would help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by alana_p
You wouldn't be crashing higher chemistry in 6th year. Crashing is when you do the subject without doing N5. You could probably leave chemistry this year and maybe just do it next year because as you said, that is an option and your career paths are currently extremely different so maybe it's best you spend a year to think about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah as soon as I posted I realised my mistake hahaha.
Reply 4
Original post by alana_p
Also, what type of journalism are you think of? Have you considered taking modern studies? That would help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly not too sure yet, I have also been considering doing Modern Studies though. It would require me taking it instead Geography though, or the even bigger problem which is that it's in the same column and Chemistry and French.
Reply 5
I wouldn't push anyone to do a subject they aren't interested in or enjoying, but if you're not doing H maths I'd recommend keeping H chemistry just to take another science with a little more focus on maths, not too much of course but it would show your capabilities :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by pancaakes
So I need to pick my options for Highers by next week and just wanted some opinions. I'm currently doing my N5's and am studying:

Business Management
Chemistry
Biology
English
Maths
French

Got all A's in my prelims except for Maths - in which I got a D, whoops.

For next year i'm thinking of doing:

Higher English
Crash Higher Geography
Higher Biology
Higher Chemistry or French
Higher RMPS
Mandarin Enhancement

The only problem is I can't decide whether or not I NEED Chemistry? I think I want to do either a degree in Journalism or (most likely) Biology/Conservation and most Uni's say that Chem isn't essential but I don't know? Will not taking Chemistry or Maths limit me?

I really want to do French as I enjoy it and am good at it but not sure if this is a good choice? I don't really enjoy Chemistry but i'm good at it at the moment, although I hear it gets significantly harder at Higher level?

I could do Chemistry and RMPS or French and RMPS OR I could try and see if my school would allow me to make a swap so that I don't do RMPS but do both Chemistry and French. The way the subject columns for options work at my school I wouldn't be able to do both unless I managed to get a swap.

So what do you think? Is Chemistry a good idea or could I get away with just dropping it and doing French and RMPS instead? I may be able to do higher chem in 6th year but i'm not too sure how it's going to work out yet.

Thanks in Adv!

I want to study biology and I realised at the end of fifth year that I would have a hard time fully understanding biology without studying a bit of chemistry. I'm happy I crashed chemistry this year, and for some sort of reason, I like it a bit better than biology. From someone who never studied it I took to it straight away. If you want to do journalism then RMPS would be good, as it is a social science, but you're already doing English and geography next year. Everyone is different but, it's your choice. I think both subjects would do you a favour in terms of the courses you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending