The Student Room Group

Oxford entry...being realistic

Are 5A*s, 3As and 2Bs (Maths and Chemistry) at GCSE, enough to get me into Oxford to study English?
Well it would depend on a variety of factors but assuming any AS grades (if you're doing the old system) or A2 predictions are solid, you send in good written work, and you score well on the ELAT, there's no reason to think your GCSEs alone would stop you from getting called to interview :nah:
Original post by Poogs
Are 5A*s, 3As and 2Bs (Maths and Chemistry) at GCSE, enough to get me into Oxford to study English?

I got 2A*s, 6 As, 2 Bs and I'm a second year History student at Oxford. Go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well it would depend on a variety of factors but assuming any AS grades (if you're doing the old system) or A2 predictions are solid, you send in good written work, and you score well on the ELAT, there's no reason to think your GCSEs alone would stop you from getting called to interview :nah:

Thank you, nice to know there's a chance....
Reply 4
Original post by colourtheory
I got 2A*s, 6 As, 2 Bs and I'm a second year History student at Oxford. Go for it!

Actually, that's really encouraging. Did you ace your HAT?
Original post by Poogs
Actually, that's really encouraging. Did you ace your HAT?

I did indeed ace the HAT, as well as the interviews. Got AABC at AS, rest an exam in addition to my A2s and finished with AAAC at AS and A*A*A at A2.

The thing to remember is that tutors are not after people who are exam machines. They don't want robots, but free thinkers. Even if that means that you take exam risks which don't necessarily pay off, it's so much more interesting to work with someone who's innovative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending