The Student Room Group

From E's to A's at AS.

Scroll to see replies

I honestly believe you haven't started too late.
When I was doing AS Maths my whole class (pretty much) achieved C or below in the mocks. We were all told not to take Maths at A2. In the end we all worked together to prove the teachers wrong and turned out to be the class with the highest grade turn out. All of us except two got an A. Anything is possible and you've got really clear goals and methods that are going to make your journey a lot easier. You've figured out what you want and you know what works for you and those are the important things.
If you can swing GCSE results like that in a couple of weeks then you can definitely pull amazing AS's out of the bag in a couple months. Chin up :smile:
Reply 21
[QUOTE=briannafowlie;62875731]I honestly believe you haven't started too late.
When I was doing AS Maths my whole class (pretty much) achieved C or below in the mocks. We were all told not to take Maths at A2. In the end we all worked together to prove the teachers wrong and turned out to be the class with the highest grade turn out. All of us except two got an A. Anything is possible and you've got really clear goals and methods that are going to make your journey a lot easier. You've figured out what you want and you know what works for you and those are the important things.
If you can swing GCSE results like that in a couple of weeks then you can definitely pull amazing AS's out of the bag in a couple months. Chin up :smile:

Thars great. I hope I will be able to say the same thing about my maths class soon. About two people in my class passed their mock whereas the other classes everyone passed. Any advice on how to improve maths grades?
Original post by lmg1
Thars great. I hope I will be able to say the same thing about my maths class soon. About two people in my class passed their mock whereas the other classes everyone passed. Any advice on how to improve maths grades?

Well personally I find that repeating past papers as often as you can is the best way to improve your maths. The types of questions that come up are always going to be the same so it's just about learning the techniques and applying them to specific questions.
I also found it helped to do past papers with someone else. Like if you can get a friend then both of you can sit down together and try and do past papers. At first they don't have to be timed, just work through the questions. If one of you gets stuck then the other one can hopefully help. This way you learn through doing and teaching and you're more motivated to keep going because you don't want to let your friend down.
If you eventually do all the past papers remember there are harder ones out there, deigned to only include the A-A* level questions but only start these if you're beginning to feel really confident and don't feel disheartened if you can't do them- they're designed to be challenging!
I'm afraid I've only got the link to the papers for A-levels. They're called solomon press papers. I know I did a similar thing at GCSE though. If you ask your Maths teacher I'm sure they're bound to know!

However I did find these and they might help (just check the exam boards!)
http://studymaths.co.uk/gcsequestions.html
http://www.m4ths.com/100-hard-a-gcse-questions.html
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/a-gcse-maths-paper-6322457
Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've been following it everyday and my aim is also AAAA even though I got terrible mock results. I also made a thread similar to yours so hopefully it will motivate me to revise too :smile: Good Luck!! Wish you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending