The Student Room Group

A levels for nursing degree

Is A- level Psychology, Maths and Btec Health and social care for a nursing degree considered to be good combination of courses to study at university? would love some replies with previous experiences and preferences.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jemnyokun14
Is A- level Psychology, Maths and Btec Health and social care c nursing considered to be good combination of course to study at university, would love some replies with previous experiences and preferences.

Thanks

Sounds like good choices a science/a social science is enough for most universities biology might give you a little advantage but only do it if you want to.
Original post by claireestelle
Sounds like good choices a science/a social science is enough for most universities biology might give you a little advantage but only do it if you want to.

Thanks much and yes most universities prefer to have taken A level Biology but I cannot take this a level when i start college because i don't do gcse additional science, i only take gsce core science my school didn't enter me for additional science.

Again thanks for the help.
Is A- level Psychology, Maths and Btec Health and social care for a nursing degree considered to be good combination of courses to study at university? would love some replies with previous experiences and preferences.

They sound like good A-Levels, i'm currently doing psychology and double health and social care at a level and i did biology at AS level and so far i've got three of my five offers for uni starting september 2016 and waiting to hear from the other two. what A-Levels that are wanted depend upon which field of nursing you want to do and what uni you want to go to, for example with me i want to be a chuldrens nurse and unis like science subjects however having psychology and health and social care they do classify as a science subject. the only uni that specifically wants biology is Leeds but no where else i found want it.

Hope this is helpful for you!:smile:
Thanks much and yes most universities prefer to have taken A level Biology but I cannot take this a level when i start college because i don't do gcse additional science, i only take gsce core science my school didn't enter me for additional science.

Again thanks for the help.

No problem glad to help :smile: oh I see, that's understandable :smile: have you looked into work experience yet? :smile:
Original post by claireestelle
No problem glad to help :smile: oh I see, that's understandable :smile: have you looked into work experience yet? :smile:

No, this is because i am currently in year 11 studying towards my gcse, but during this summer i will look into work experience.:smile:
No, this is because i am currently in year 11 studying towards my gcse, but during this summer i will look into work experience.:smile:

Oh I see, you ve got plenty of time then :smile:
replace health and social care with biology and you've got a solid combination.
Original post by chloeimogenh
They sound like good A-Levels, i'm currently doing psychology and double health and social care at a level and i did biology at AS level and so far i've got three of my five offers for uni starting september 2016 and waiting to hear from the other two. what A-Levels that are wanted depend upon which field of nursing you want to do and what uni you want to go to, for example with me i want to be a chuldrens nurse and unis like science subjects however having psychology and health and social care they do classify as a science subject. the only uni that specifically wants biology is Leeds but no where else i found want it.

Hope this is helpful for you!:smile:

Your A levels sound so interesting and its a co-incidencse that I also want to do children's nursing and I have looked at university of leeds that they specifically need A level Biology but luckily there are other universities that prefer other A level sciences/social sciences
I wish you good luck in your places at university and your A level results!
And yes this has helped me.

Question to ask: Is A level psychology hard and is it good? And have you done relevant work experience for your children's nursing degree application?
I cant take a Level Biology because of my gcse science but I would love to do the A level biology
Your A levels sound so interesting and its a co-incidencse that I also want to do children's nursing and I have looked at university of leeds that they specifically need A level Biology but luckily there are other universities that prefer other A level sciences/social sciences
I wish you good luck in your places at university and your A level results!
And yes this has helped me.

Question to ask: Is A level psychology hard and is it good? And have you done relevant work experience for your children's nursing degree application?
#

I really really wanted to go to leeds and then i saw about their biology requirements and i didnt reach what they wanted at AS therefore couldnt go there which was really unfortunate, thank you so much!

Psychology is so so good! i absolutely love the subject, something i found about it though, you either get it or you dont, if you get it then its fascinating and you'll sail through it but if you dont get it then its a struggle, i find human psychology fascinating and therefore i love it, however the spec has now changed and isnt like what i'm doing now, one thing i'll suggest for psychology is just work hard and keep up with the reading and you'll do well! it's a fascinating subject and one that i dont find i have to force myself to revise or do any wor k for at all, i'm doing the work because i find it interesting!
Yes i have got work experience, i have nhs work experience which is really hard to get unless you know people in the service and there is a ward or area that is actually willing to take on someone for work experience. i've also got two primary schools work exp from year ten and all through year ten to eleven. finally i've got voluntary stuff outside of all education where i work with disabled children, its the most rewarding thing that i've ever done and not only is it fun but i'm learning and helping other people whilst i do it.

make sure you get yourself work experience somewhere, they dont ask to have nhs placements bc they know how hard these are to find but they want you to have some experience, some unis the more you have and the more varied the better, if you dont have the experience they're less likely to take you, they want to know that you've thought this through and you want to commit to being a nurse.

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest