The Student Room Group

Possible medic, possible lawyer - Who knows.

:bl::bl::bl: HI:bl::bl::bl:

Hi, this is my blog for the grow your grades competition!

At the time of writing this, there is a measly 88 days until my first exam (AS resit, economics I believe.)

My current stats:
I have applied to study medicine this year, and I have had two pre interview reactions (Leeds and Nottingham) and I have two interviews, one which I have completed and one in early march.

6A*'s 6A's at GCSE (And One more A* which I sat a 2013)
AABBC at AS (Biology, Economics, Chemistry, Critical thinking and Geography)
637.5 UKCAT
5.7, 4.3, 3A BMAT

A*AA(B) predictions

AS UMS
Biology - 93% UMS (279/300)
Economics - 82% UMS (164/200)
Chemistry - 76% UMS (230/300)
Geography - Some awful UMS I don't even want to know ...

My aim

I was pretty 100% set on medicine, but recently I have had second thoughts. My aim this year is to do the best I can do as I really don't think that last year truly reflected what I am capable of.

I am in to get A*A*A this year, in Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I really think A* in economics will be a push and very hard to do, but I am very determined! I just scraped an A last year, so I am resitting all of AS econ, as well as CHEM 1 and all of AS geography to aim to get a B in geography.

With only 88 days, it is starting to scare me, but I would rather start now then later, plus if I win this competition, I would love another laptop!

A* Biology, A* Economics, A Chemistry = The goal!

If anyone can help me with Econ or Chemistry, that would be very helpful! I am doing AQA in all my subjects
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by harmer1998
Hi, this is my blog for the grow your grades competition!

At the time of writing this, there is a measly 88 days until my first exam (AS resit, economics I believe.)

My current stats:
I have applied to study medicine this year, and I have had two pre interview reactions (Leeds and Nottingham) and I have two interviews, one which I have completed and one in early march.

6A*'s 6A's at GCSE (And One more A* which I sat a 2013)
AABBC at AS (Biology, Economics, Chemistry, Critical thinking and Geography)
637.5 UKCAT
5.7, 4.3, 3A BMAT

A*AA(B) predictions

AS UMS
Biology - 93% UMS (279/300)
Economics - 82% UMS (164/200)
Chemistry - 76% UMS (230/300)
Geography - Some awful UMS I don't even want to know ...

My aim

I was pretty 100% set on medicine, but recently I have had second thoughts. My aim this year is to do the best I can do as I really don't think that last year truly reflected what I am capable of.

I am in to get A*A*A this year, in Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I really think A* in economics will be a push and very hard to do, but I am very determined! I just scraped an A last year, so I am resitting all of AS econ, as well as CHEM 1 and all of AS geography to aim to get a B in geography.

With only 88 days, it is starting to scare me, but I would rather start now then later, plus if I win this competition, I would love another laptop!

A* Biology, A* Economics, A Chemistry = The goal!

If anyone can help me with Econ or Chemistry, that would be very helpful! I am doing AQA in all my subjects!

oo hey :smile: I'm also doing AQA bio and Chem :smile:
I am terrible at chemistry! All the chem 4 pastpapers I have done I cant get above 65% .. :frown:

I am not that great either but I revised off this : chemrevise.org for the organic stuff.

I also made some shortcuts for the organic to make it easier for me to remember, if you want I could find them and inbox it to you?

Buffers/nmr/organic catch me out mostly...
Reply 3
**** geogrpahy though xD I'm doing it at A2 as well....
Good luck!!
If you need some advice in Geography, I can help. I'm predicted an A* for it and got an A (94%) during AS geography.
Reply 5
I am resitting it all and It is gonna kill me!

It was very upsetting because through my mocks and all my preparation work for geography, I was constantly getting very high A's... but the exam .. I got a C .... I dont know why, I requested my paper back and my scores were always capped at Level 2 :frown:

Anyway, I dont know if I will even have time to study for the exam ahah... I am so determined to get A*A*A this year!

That sucks! I was predicted an A in C2 and got a D in the exam and am retaking so I feel you :frown: Are you retaking one unit only?
I'm predicted A*A*A but with my crappy work ethic, I can't see myself getting more than AAA and that would be due to my AS grades backing me up xD

NMR is the bane of my existence! And also buffers! It would be amazing if you could send me them via pm! That would help me so much, thank you!
OMG Nmr sucks! Honestly I think Mass spectra is worse tho tbh D:
Reply 6
No I am resitting the whole thing xD Looking back at it .. it was such a bad idea to resit the whole thing...

I am only predicted A*AA and tbh, getting an A* in biology is going to be hard as I feel like last year was a fluke .. and I only got into the 90%'s by chance. I also feel like getting an A* in economics is quite unreasonable as I am literally just 2% into the A's but I am resitting both units of last year, and I am finding this year a lot more interesting!

Was your geography AQA then or is that just your A2s? I like how you said I'm only predicted A*AA - those are great predictions! Synoptic bio essay and Unit 5 in general is going to be a fail :s-smilie:
Reply 7
No it was AQA for AS too, I dropped it! ahah I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Econ this year :P Im jus resitting it because I am not happy with a C ahah

Yea the bio essays .. I have done two practises and got a 12 and a 8 ahah :P

Oh I did Edexcel otherwise I could have helped you out a bit ):
Omg, I'm doing my first one and the title wasn't even a question so I'm really confused how to answer it D:
Reply 8
Yes! I hate them so much!!!!

Just have my paragraph on the cardiac cycle left! I can do this! I don't think I've answered the title though...oh well, I have better things to do like procrastinate ;D
Reply 9
But have you considered working in a call centre?
Reply 10
Has the call centre thought about working for me? Didn't think so...

That would require you having social skills though
I am resitting it all and It is gonna kill me!

It was very upsetting because through my mocks and all my preparation work for geography, I was constantly getting very high A's... but the exam .. I got a C .... I dont know why, I requested my paper back and my scores were always capped at Level 2 :frown:

Anyway, I dont know if I will even have time to study for the exam ahah... I am so determined to get A*A*A this year!

Ah that's a shame then :/
This is aqa right? Was it that you were pushed for time or your answers just weren't fully what they were looking for?
Reply 12
I'm pretty sure, the social skills only comes into play when I am working for a call centre. If a call centre was working for me, I would have people employed in the call centre to manage all the talking and interacting for other people. By definition them working for me means I don't have to... I would just say, you work for me, call people :smile:

And a sense of humour would help too
Reply 13
No sorry, call centres are serious businesses... You don't get to the top by laughing your way through life!

I'm taking the piss
Reply 14
Day 1 - 86 days untill first exam

So, I basically did nothing. This is not he best start to this revision thingy, but I just procrastinated all day. I did some econ homework, a 25 mark essay, but that was it.

I shall have to get up early tomorrow and do all the revision I planned for today... I think I need to burn my laptop ... When it is in front of me when I revise, I basically get nothing done and just watch Parks and rec, Veep, Family guy or any number of different shows.

Anyway, tomorrow is Biol 4 revision day -_- .. I hate A levels...
Original post by Manexopi
That sucks! I was predicted an A in C2 and got a D in the exam and am retaking so I feel you :frown: Are you retaking one unit only?
I'm predicted A*A*A but with my crappy work ethic, I can't see myself getting more than AAA and that would be due to my AS grades backing me up xD

OMG Nmr sucks! Honestly I think Mass spectra is worse tho tbh D:

The worst is when they go@ Oh, so compund X has so and so environments in the h nmr and it has a molecular formula of .....and it is also the optical isomer of compound Y, what is X?

Grrr, its just like, find it out yourself if you want to know so bad!
Reply 16
Original post by cookiemonster15
The worst is when they go@ Oh, so compund X has so and so environments in the h nmr and it has a molecular formula of .....and it is also the optical isomer of compound Y, what is X?

Grrr, its just like, find it out yourself if you want to know so bad!

Lol! I eont mind those questions but they take way to long. I donr like the ones where you have to interpret the spectra and use the data sheet because I dont understand the data sheet D:
Reply 17
Day 4 - 83 days until exams

I feel like I am getting nothing done since I got back to school ...

Finally I have seen some improvements, I managed to get a good grade on a mock exam for economics, but I have spend so much time on econ that I haven't really looked at any other subjects!

Bill 4 is so much revision!

----

My plan for the end of this week is to get on top of biol 4 ...
At some point in the future, I am going to have to start preparing for my resits...

Quick Reply

Latest