The Student Room Group

I'm really stuck choosing a university, can you guys offer me advice, please?

I have been a huge ball of stress and panic recently and now nearing my A-level retakes, I have to decide which university to choose as my firm option. (I decided to choose Hertfordshire as my insurance in case my grades aren't good enough for other universities).

Anyway, onto my actual question, I chose to do a full-time undergraduate Law degree at City University, Brunel University and Birkbeck University and frankly, I researched so much into the universities and still am confused as to which university to choose.

Which university would put me in a better standpoint in terms of job prospects for Law? I want to really do well and hopefully become a solicitor but I've become completely depressed from reading so much about how if you don't apply to a Russell Group university for Law you're basically ****ed.

Which university is more respected for Law out of my three choices? I live around the corner from Birkbeck but I heard they have evening classes and wasn't too sure about it. As for Brunel it's quite far and a lot of people have told me it's not worth it for law :frown: And they said City is worse.

I'm truly lost now, I feel like a puppy in a pack of wolves naively going into battle (okay, maybe that was a bit weird).

I just want the best for myself.

p.s this is my first post on tsr
bump
Reply 2
I've just taken a quick look and can't even find birbeck on the rankings. Also I don't think I've heard of it either. Rule that one out.

Brunel and City are both in London so that's a positive (I know birbeck is too). Although Brunel is quite far out. They both seem to be similar rankings so that isn't a great comparison. Have you visited both universities? Get a feel for each place, you'll be studying there for the next 3 years.

Also, don't stress too much about not being a russell group. Ok, law is a little more "elite" but it doesn't mean you can't be successful. I know of a few people who went back to study law in their 30's and 40's who are now doing really well for themselves. If it is bothering you that much you can always take an extra year and apply to russell group unis with higher grades.

I haven't researched as much as you but I would go with City, it's closer to the centre of London and more likely that you'll make the connections needed to further your career.
Original post by thad33
I've just taken a quick look and can't even find birbeck on the rankings. Also I don't think I've heard of it either. Rule that one out.

You haven't heard of Birkbeck because it primarily offers part-time courses (which is also why it isn't on many rankings). However, on the lists it is on it is rated very highly. It's part of the University of London (along with UCL, LSE and King's), and is much more prestigious than either of the other two (I doubt City will educate a Prime Minister any time soon). Out of those three, I'd choose Birkbeck like a shot.
Thanks for both of your replies, I'm already a gap year student so taking another year out would be so daunting.

I'm really just a piggy stuck in the mud at the moment (okay perhaps that metaphor sucked a bit, too...)
Bump
Reply 6
Original post by sweeneyrod
You haven't heard of Birkbeck because it primarily offers part-time courses (which is also why it isn't on many rankings). However, on the lists it is on it is rated very highly. It's part of the University of London (along with UCL, LSE and King's), and is much more prestigious than either of the other two (I doubt City will educate a Prime Minister any time soon). Out of those three, I'd choose Birkbeck like a shot.

I stand corrected. Birkbeck it is. Just to add though, taking two years out before starting uni isn't a big deal. That's what I've done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was just worried about the whole evening study with Birkbeck, do you know or has anyone had a crappy timetable for university? Sorry if it sounds vague I'm just so naive and foolish not to properly think out my career path :frown:
Reply 8
Birkbeck sounds good
Reply 9
Original post by Iamalwayssad
Was just worried about the whole evening study with Birkbeck, do you know or has anyone had a crappy timetable for university? Sorry if it sounds vague I'm just so naive and foolish not to properly think out my career path :frown:

Why are you worried? It'll just be the other way around of what you're used to, self study/revision during the day and lectures in the evening. It isn't as if us students are used to standard studying hours anyway. We're up at all hours working away at things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump
I'm confused :'(
Reply 12
The GDL is a little different though. To do it all in 1 year is impressive wherever you do it. People doing the GDL are already going to have strong undergraduate degrees from good uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your input guys :smile:
Bump
Reply 15
I've got to ask, what other answers are you expecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Move to Tibet and become an airbender. University is overrated.
Original post by Iamalwayssad
I have been a huge ball of stress and panic recently and now nearing my A-level retakes, I have to decide which university to choose as my firm option. (I decided to choose Hertfordshire as my insurance in case my grades aren't good enough for other universities).

Anyway, onto my actual question, I chose to do a full-time undergraduate Law degree at City University, Brunel University and Birkbeck University and frankly, I researched so much into the universities and still am confused as to which university to choose.

Which university would put me in a better standpoint in terms of job prospects for Law? I want to really do well and hopefully become a solicitor but I've become completely depressed from reading so much about how if you don't apply to a Russell Group university for Law you're basically ****ed.

Which university is more respected for Law out of my three choices? I live around the corner from Birkbeck but I heard they have evening classes and wasn't too sure about it. As for Brunel it's quite far and a lot of people have told me it's not worth it for law :frown: And they said City is worse.

I'm truly lost now, I feel like a puppy in a pack of wolves naively going into battle (okay, maybe that was a bit weird).

I just want the best for myself.

p.s this is my first post on tsr

Hi there!

I don't think you have to worry about not applying to a Russell Group uni. Remember that it is not the end of the world. There are lawyers from non-Russell Group unis that end up at city law firms, so I don't think you should be too discouraged from that. Although you'll have to work harder than those at Russell Group unis, I still think it's possible.

With regards to your choices above, I would stick with City University. I haven't heard many people at Birkbeck, so I can't tell you whether it's good or not, but I've heard good things about City University. It's also located in the city centre, which should give you access to events and workshops hosted by different law firms, thus giving you more opportunities for you to network and ask questions. As for the other unis you've mentioned, I wouldn't discount them, but I would put them as backups instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending