The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Is £175 per week a lot to pay for uni halls - first year?

My parents keep arguing with me because they think it's too much money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JubilationXXV
My parents keep arguing with me because they think it's too much money

What University are you going to, I ask this as the prices for accommodation differ depending on the city. To me that is expensive unless that is London in which case that's probably around the norm..
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Definitely not
Original post by Random.guy
What University are you going to, I ask this as the prices for accommodation differ depending on the city. To me that is expensive unless that is London in which case that's probably around the norm..

Well the accommodation is in Wembley, close to the stadium. I really want to live in that hall specifically but my parents just won't have it because of the price - they obviously won't be paying for it but still...
Well the accommodation is in Wembley, close to the stadium. I really want to live in that hall specifically but my parents just won't have it because of the price - they obviously won't be paying for it but still...

End of the day it's up to you, but you need to see it from a financial point also. They are probably thinking that if you went to a cheaper halls you'd have more money for, transport, food, books, clothes, recreational activities (gym, clubbing etc.) University is expensive and you will find that your maintenance loan will go quickly. Also, the SLC will not always pay your loan installment on time so this will make your limited amount of money even tighter. Unless you get a job to help supplement it, or you have sufficient savings you can't just expect your parents to help you out when the moneys tight.

BTW is there are specific reasons you want to go to that particular hall?
(edited 8 years ago)
In my opinion that is a ridiculous amount to pay and a waste of money if you can find somewhere cheaper. If you go off the average halls 43 week contract that is £7525 which is more than the maximum amount of student finance I get. (Though granted I don't go to uni in London).
(edited 8 years ago)
End of the day it's up to you, but you need to see it from a financial point also. They are probably thinking that if you went to a cheaper halls you'd have more money for, transport, food, books, clothes, recreational activities (gym, clubbing etc.) University is expensive and you will find that your maintenance loan will go quickly. Also, the SLC will not always pay your loan installment on time so this will make your limited amount of money even tighter. Unless you get a job to help supplement it, or you have sufficient savings you can't just expect your parents to help you out when the moneys tight.

BTW is there are specific reasons you want to go to that particular hall?

I'll have a job paying me about £500 every month. It's a new hall, literally opening this year - and the best one that middlesex has to offer. I'm very particular about things and the other halls just didn't really live up to my standards
Original post by SophieSmall
In my opinion that is a ridiculous amount to pay and a waste of money if you can find somewhere cheaper. If you go off the average halls 43 week contract that is £7525 which is more than the maximum amount of student finance I get. (Though granted I don't go to uni in London).

Mhmm...how do you find handling your finances?
Mhmm...how do you find handling your finances?

I'm quite the meticulous budgeter, but I live comfortably on the amount of student finance I get because I have always chosen the cheaper accommodation options (which didn't mean living in squalor :tongue: ) .

I don't know, I guess I'll just never understand why people choose the most expensive accommodations when the benefits just aren't that great for the price. I never felt cramped or like I was missing out not having an en-suite or living in the "trendiest" accommodation. Heck if you're doing university right you won't even spend that much time sat in your trendy room looking at your 4 expensive walls.
I'll have a job paying me about £500 every month. It's a new hall, literally opening this year - and the best one that middlesex has to offer. I'm very particular about things and the other halls just didn't really live up to my standards

You have a job now..but will you be able to multitask a full time job (unless this is part time?) and your studies at the same time without your academic grades suffering? I say this as based off the rate you will be paying that's £700 every 4 weeks which means you will have to find an additional £200 every month on top of other things you will need if you keep you job alongside your degree. It might be better to take cheaper halls for your first year and maybe save up for better (possibly private) accommodation for your second year?
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm quite the meticulous budgeter, but I live comfortably on the amount of student finance I get because I have always chosen the cheaper accommodation options (which didn't mean living in squalor :tongue: ) .

I don't know, I guess I'll just never understand why people choose the most expensive accommodations when the benefits just aren't that great for the price. I never felt cramped or like I was missing out not having an en-suite or living in the "trendiest" accommodation. Heck if you're doing university right you won't even spend that much time sat in your trendy room looking at your 4 expensive walls.

That's fair. I just don't know how to get them to come around. I'm getting so agitated.
That's fair. I just don't know how to get them to come around. I'm getting so agitated.

Well if they're not the ones paying for it why do you need to get them to come around?
You have a job now..but will you be able to multitask a full time job (unless this is part time?) and your studies at the same time without your academic grades suffering? I say this as based off the rate you will be paying that's £700 every 4 weeks which means you will have to find an additional £200 every month on top of other things you will need if you keep you job alongside your degree. It might be better to take cheaper halls for your first year and maybe save up for better (possibly private) accommodation for your second year?

It would just be part time...I really don't know what to do. I get where you're coming from but the cheapest one apart from that is about £135 per week.

Also OP is your job guaranteed to be there for the length of time you'll need it? Because if not, it wouldn't be the first time a student has lost a job they needed to keep afloat and pay rent.
It would just be part time...I really don't know what to do. I get where you're coming from but the cheapest one apart from that is about £135 per week.

Which is a difference of just over 1.7k. That's a lot.
Reply 15
That's a lot of money, but I can't really speak for London it may as well be it's own nation and - due to pricing every normal person out - effectively is.

Just to compare I paid £120 for an ensuite room in north birmingham, which I consider to be a lot of money. Halls generally have inflated prices, I've found especially private halls. I'm now paying £80 a week for a room in a shared house in a much nicer area, so that tells you all you need to know. I think personally you should respect your parents decision if they're going to be picking up the bill for it, so be easy on them - don't take the piss basically!

Well that's £160 every month you're saving by going to the cheaper halls. Unless you found the halls to be in a poor condition, like its cold/damp, kitchen and toilets are a tip, is there a reason you need it to be brand spanking new? Well if it's too much for your parent's and you hate the cheapest option is there a go between in terms of price and quality of the accommodation?
Original post by Tom78
That's a lot of money, but I can't really speak for London it may as well be it's own nation and - due to pricing every normal person out - effectively is.

Just to compare I paid £120 for an ensuite room in north birmingham, which I consider to be a lot of money. Halls generally have inflated prices, I've found especially private halls. I'm now paying £80 a week for a room in a shared house in a much nicer area, so that tells you all you need to know. I think personally you should respect your parents decision if they're going to be picking up the bill for it, so be easy on them - don't take the piss basically!

They're definitely not paying for it. Which is why I want to go for the more expensive and better option because I know the finances would just be down to me.
That is pretty expensive as far as university halls go even for London standards. For comparison my share for a private 2 bed flat in central cost less money. Can your loan really stretch out to budget for that? I would honestly go for something cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I also think living in / studying in London is probably a terrible idea unless you or your parents are loaded. You soon fine that supporting yourself as a student is a struggle even with the shitty support available

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending