The Student Room Group

Russel Group vs non-Russell group for law

I know there's probably already plenty of threads about the same subject in this very website, but I'd like to know about the current situation.
I've applied to Kent, SOAS, Lancaster, Leicester and Reading going by the rankings. Already received offers from Leicester and Reading.
Is there a difference (significant or marginal) between Russell group and non-Russell group universities when it comes to graduate prospects and employers' opinions and recruitment policies? Because universities like Kent and Lancaster are ranked higher than the likes of Manchester or Birmingham, which are in the Russell Group and I've heard traditionally very famous.
Getting a TC would be hard enough considering I'm an international student.
I still have offers from colleges in the USA and Australia (engineering in the USA, law in Australia), so this information would be vital to help me decide.
Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by pinkisthefloyd
I know there's probably already plenty of threads about the same subject in this very website, but I'd like to know about the current situation.
I've applied to Kent, SOAS, Lancaster, Leicester and Reading going by the rankings. Already received offers from Leicester and Reading.
Is there a difference (significant or marginal) between Russell group and non-Russell group universities when it comes to graduate prospects and employers' opinions and recruitment policies? Because universities like Kent and Lancaster are ranked higher than the likes of Manchester or Birmingham, which are in the Russell Group and I've heard traditionally very famous.
Getting a TC would be hard enough considering I'm an international student.
I still have offers from colleges in the USA and Australia (engineering in the USA, law in Australia), so this information would be vital to help me decide.
Thank you very much :smile:
You applied purely going by rankings? You do realise that these so called "rankings" differ greatly between each other and don't necessarily represent which unis are objectively better, most don't. For example you will find from here http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/law-legal-studies#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search= that those universities you applied to are in fact not ranked that highly compared to the Russel Group unis you mentioned (and since this is an international ranking it's going to be the most accurate and relevant if anything).
Surely St Andrews > Liverpool?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You applied purely going by rankings? You do realise that these so called "rankings" differ greatly between each other and don't necessarily represent which unis are objectively better, most don't. For example you will find from here http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/law-legal-studies#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search= that those universities you applied to are in fact not ranked that highly compared to the Russel Group unis you mentioned (and since this is an international ranking it's going to be the most accurate and relevant if anything).

No I did not apply purely by rankings. I did only consider the top 30 law schools in the rankings list, which was probably a mistake. I know that the rankings also take into account a huge number of factors, which are not necessarily useful but reflected in the final score.
My A level grades were just below the entry requirements of most of these top 30 colleges and I thought that I'd apply to the 5 colleges that were a bit lenient. I thought that the rankings showed that these colleges were just as good as the others, but since I've been getting offers from colleges, I thought I'd really see if that was the case.
Either ways, is the "Russell Group" tag actually significant in law firms? For example, would a student from Sheffield be preffered to a student from Leicester for this reason (I think Leicester's a better law college?)? Or is it just that most Russell Group universities are actually better than non-Russell Group unis and hence there's no special attachment to Russell Group?
Reply 4
On the whole law firms generally prefer the Russell Group crowd and Oxbridge (Oxbridge is Russell Group but considered separate as they are so elite), especially the big city/magic circle firms as well as the Bar. You would do yourself a massive favour going to a Russell Group for Law. If you dont opt for one then go to Leicester, I'd say its the best non RG uni for Law and one of the best non RG unis generally
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending