The Student Room Group

For students who achieved all (or nearly all) A*s at GCSE

Whats the secret to success? How did you guys secure such awesome grades? Any advice for us, before we embark on our GCSEs in the summer? Thanks!
Original post by Do it Right
Whats the secret to success? How did you guys secure such awesome grades? Any advice for us, before we embark on our GCSEs in the summer? Thanks!

I got 8A*s 3A's. Past papers are essential
Reply 2
Original post by Zwitterion1
I got 8A*s 3A's. Past papers are essential

But aren't they a limited resource? What do you do if and when you run out haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh that was a long time ago! :lol: I suppose the major driving factor for me was the fact that I just enjoy learning, as well as the fact that I wanted to succeed in my own right :h:

In general, I'd recommend organising your revision and being consistent in terms of the amount of work you do on a daily basis :yep:

As above, it's obviously essential to practice exam technique with past papers etc :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Do it Right

Past papers, you don't have to be intelligent or actually know the stuff very well. Becuase I did virtually all the past papers possible, I went from Ds in my mocks to a*s and as. It stops you worrying about them, which to me was my only hindrance.
If anyone has any tips or advice on this please take a look - I'm about to sit GCSE this year and I'm doing so many past papers it's unreal :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Original post by Indeterminate
Ooh that was a long time ago! :lol: I suppose the major driving factor for me was the fact that I just enjoy learning, as well as the fact that I wanted to succeed in my own right :h:

In general, I'd recommend organising your revision and being consistent in terms of the amount of work you do on a daily basis :yep:

As above, it's obviously essential to practice exam technique with past papers etc :smile:

What are you studying now? What were your GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DatSmartGuy
What are you studying now? What were your GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I graduated last year (Maths degree), and I'm starting postgraduate study later on this year :smile:

11A*s :redface:
Original post by Indeterminate
I graduated last year (Maths degree), and I'm starting postgraduate study later on this year :smile:

11A*s :redface:

Wow! Impressive. What university are you at? What are you doing between now and the postgraduate study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! Impressive. What university are you at? What are you doing between now and the postgraduate study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) First degree at Imperial, postgrad at Cambridge :smile:
2) Working (I regret not applying in my final year of uni) :redface:
I only got 5 A*s and 6 As so you probably don't want my opinion but I learnt that past paper and question practice were essential. Tbh I only truly cared about the sciences and maths, and I enjoyed them from the very beginning, so maybe that's why I was driven to do well in them. They felt kind of natural to me :redface:

But yeah, practice makes perfect

And you don't have to aim for all A*s (unless you're from a top private school - in that case it'll be pretty embarassing if you don't get all A*s ygm?)
Less than half of my GCSEs were A* and I got an offer from my dream uni :daydreaming:
Making notes, making sure I covered the whole specification, writing practise essays (or at least planning them roughly), learning key points to include in essays. I did loads of practise questions for English language because I wasn't very good at it. Annoy your teachers by making them mark stuff. Plan your coursework at home before going into school and writing them in exam conditions (actually you might have already done coursework idk). I don't actually remember doing many past papers in my own time...might be because our school made us do them. Sorry that's a bit vague but my revision depended on the subject. (I got 10A* 1A, currently in year 13. GCSEs seem like ages ago!). Best of luck!
Original post by Serine Soul
I only got 5 A*s and 6 As so you probably don't want my opinion but I learnt that past paper and question practice were essential. Tbh I only truly cared about the sciences and maths, and I enjoyed them from the very beginning, so maybe that's why I was driven to do well in them. They felt kind of natural to me :redface:

But yeah, practice makes perfect

And you don't have to aim for all A*s (unless you're from a top private school - in that case it'll be pretty embarassing if you don't get all A*s ygm?)
Less than half of my GCSEs were A* and I got an offer from my dream uni :daydreaming:

Well done! Was 11 GCSEs challenging? Do you think you would still get into ur dream uni if you only done 9 GCSEs ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done! Was 11 GCSEs challenging? Do you think you would still get into ur dream uni if you only done 9 GCSEs ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that much, I had done 4 of them by the end of year ten, so I had 7 to do in year eleven. Something happened in year eleven though and I was quite shaken by it, meaning that I lost quite a bit of focus. In that season I got 2 A*s and 5 As, with the A* in English and the other A* in Physics (unsurprisingly :redface: )

Hmm it'd probably be the same when I come to think of it
Hey im taking my GCSE's too. I just wanna put it out there, I literally have no time to revise because of the workload that my school gives me, what time in the day is best to revise for you guys on a normal school day?
Reply 15
I think in the afternoon
Im going to start revising in beginning march so how many hours a day should i do on weekdays and weekends? How do i absorb all the information from the textbooks as if i repeat a sentences 7 times then i could remember it in 7months time what type of learner am i ?
Original post by waleed29
Im going to start revising in beginning march so how many hours a day should i do on weekdays and weekends? How do i absorb all the information from the textbooks as if i repeat a sentences 7 times then i could remember it in 7months time what type of learner am i ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Quick Reply

Latest