The Student Room Group

Can't afford to pay for travel to my interview

I'll start off with I have a real phobia of planes. I have a lesser phobia of boats, but that's my only means of travel to Swansea (From Ireland)

But that's going to cost me £400 that I don't have. I've heard about universities and interviewers that come over and conduct interviews. Is there anyway that can happen?

Planes aren't an option at all at the moment as I've taken meds for phobias and reacted badly to them :L

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyEcliptic
I'll start off with I have a real phobia of planes. I have a lesser phobia of boats, but that's my only means of travel to Swansea (From Ireland)

But that's going to cost me £400 that I don't have. I've heard about universities and interviewers that come over and conduct interviews. Is there anyway that can happen?

Planes aren't an option at all at the moment as I've taken meds for phobias and reacted badly to them :L

A Skype interview would be much more likely as I can't see a university spending the money to visit an applicant. Have you considered how you would travel back home if you were to get a place there?
Original post by claireestelle
A Skype interview would be much more likely as I can't see a university spending the money to visit an applicant. Have you considered how you would travel back home if you were to get a place there?

I can get a boat back yes.

It's just at the moment, I have no money at all :frown:
I hope that in the future the plane thing won't be an issue anymore but it is at the moment unfortunately.
I can get a boat back yes.

It's just at the moment, I have no money at all :frown:
I hope that in the future the plane thing won't be an issue anymore but it is at the moment unfortunately.

You can contact the university to see if a Skype interview would be possible but they won't be able to help finances wise as they d have expected you to take that into account when you applied really,sorry.
You can contact the university to see if a Skype interview would be possible but they won't be able to help finances wise as they d have expected you to take that into account when you applied really,sorry.

To be honest I didn't think I was going to get an interview. I had money set aside but unfortunately a lot of bills came up with my family.
I will contact them and ask. At the time of looking nothing seemed expensive for travel :/
To be honest I didn't think I was going to get an interview. I had money set aside but unfortunately a lot of bills came up with my family.
I will contact them and ask. At the time of looking nothing seemed expensive for travel :/

They may also accept a date change and then you d have time to find a cheaper travel options? But I think you should be really sure you want to go there especially as getting back if there was a family emergency or something doesn't sound cheap or easy.
They may also accept a date change and then you d have time to find a cheaper travel options? But I think you should be really sure you want to go there especially as getting back if there was a family emergency or something doesn't sound cheap or easy.

See the date I've been interviewed on is the last interview date.
I'll definitely look into my options. If it's not feasible financially wise I will let someone else have the opportunity to have an interview this year.
But thank you for the reply :smile:
See the date I've been interviewed on is the last interview date.
I'll definitely look into my options. If it's not feasible financially wise I will let someone else have the opportunity to have an interview this year.
But thank you for the reply :smile:

where are travelling to and from
you could try this and return rail from fishguard to Swansea.
If you are trying Cork Swansea forget it at that price
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
where are travelling to and from
you could try this and return rail from fishguard to Swansea.
If you are trying Cork Swansea forget it at that price

From Rosslare to Fishgaurd it's £300/400 (it goes up in price the later you leave it) As I live up in Northern Ireland I have to also travel from Tyrone to Wexford which is a fair distance unfortunately :/
From Rosslare to Fishgaurd it's £300/400 (it goes up in price the later you leave it) As I live up in Northern Ireland I have to also travel from Tyrone to Wexford which is a fair distance unfortunately :/

Just for the bant, what about a ferry from dun laoghaire to holyhead? I don't remember ever forking £400 for that trip

You will need some sort of coach trip of the whole of Wales, that may be a lot actually.

Edit: i never knew they stopped trips to Dun laoghaire, crazy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bobjim12
Just for the bant, what about a ferry from dun laoghaire to holyhead? I don't remember ever forking £400 for that trip

You will need some sort of coach trip of the whole of Wales, that may be a lot actually.

Edit: i never knew they stopped trips to Dun laoghaire, crazy.

It's Dublin to Holyhead or Rosslare to Fishgaurd (they aren;t doing ones to Pembroke at the moment?)

SO Travel down to Rosslare/Dublin is expensive anyway. Then to get a train is about £30 from holyhead.
I'll definitely look into it but it's still costing me around £300 at least D:

to be honest your best bet is either to fly or not come to Swansea at all. If you were to come here is it really going to be feasible you will have what a 4 hour journey to Rosslare then a 3 hour ferry to Fishguard plus a 2 hour train journey.every time you want to come or go home. If you were to go through Holyhead you have a 7 hour train journey to Swansea. If you really want to come here to study a flight to Cardiff or Bristol takes about 35 minutes and then a 2 hour train journey which is the only realistic option.

You'll get rejected if you don't go. Especially if it's Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Especially if it's Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't. As per the OP it's Swansea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Have you asked for a Skype interview? Explain about the costs, and about your travel anxiety.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
You'll get rejected if you don't go. Especially if it's Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She'd have been rejected by now for not turning up, since all Cambridge interviews are in December.
Reply 16
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
She'd have been rejected by now for not turning up, since all Cambridge interviews are in December.

Except mature applicants to many courses (later deadline, 1 March for applications) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Except mature applicants to many courses (later deadline, 1 March for applications) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I never knew that! Didn't deal with mature students at work so never came across it. Ta for letting me know.

Doesn't apply in this case, of course.
Reply 18
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, I never knew that! Didn't deal with mature students at work so never came across it. Ta for letting me know.

Doesn't apply in this case, of course.

Yep, Swansea is not Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yep, Swansea is not Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I've only been to one of the two, so am not in a position to make a comparison. Speaking purely from a sat-nav perspective, there is no comparison.

Quick Reply