The Student Room Group

I think i love an older man? helpppp

Ill start off with the fact im eighteen. Okay so i met this man a few months ago, he is so nice and so similar to me, yet he is 36. He has divorced his wife and he has four kids, in which i get along with all of them, his three year old son loves me, i have to call him everyday just to say hello to his son.
i thought that our "relationship" was only one sided, but last night i went out for some food and went to my local and had a drink and he happened to be in there, he gave me a lift home and as we got outside of my gates he opened the boot and had five bunches of white roses and a huge bunch of tulips (my favourite flower) i almost cried as no one has ever brought me flowers before, and i hugged him to say thank you, we kissed, a lot.
When i got in, he had messaged me telling me how much he liked me and how he cant stop thinking about me.
i know the age gap is a bit big, but i feel so good and confident around him, for once i feel as though i can be myself and i dont feel like i have to put up a guard.
I just dont know what to do, do i stop it before it gets out of control? or do i go along with everything and see how it goes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iceagespiceage
Ill start off with the fact im eighteen. Okay so i met this man a few months ago, he is so nice and so similar to me, yet he is 36. He has divorced his wife and he has four kids, in which i get along with all of them, his three year old son loves me, i have to call him everyday just to say hello to his son.
i thought that our "relationship" was only one sided, but last night i went out for some food and went to my local and had a drink and he happened to be in there, he gave me a lift home and as we got outside of my gates he opened the boot and had five bunches of white roses and a huge bunch of tulips (my favourite flower) i almost cried as no one has ever brought me flowers before, and i hugged him to say thank you, we kissed, a lot.
When i got in, he had messaged me telling me how much he liked me and how he cant stop thinking about me.
i know the age gap is a bit big, but i feel so good and confident around him, for once i feel as though i can be myself and i dont feel like i have to put up a guard.
I just dont know what to do, do i stop it before it gets out of control? or do i go along with everything and see how it goes?

It's difficult to say, you're an adult but you're still very young so tread carefully, also if you're looking to a long term relationship you need to take the fact that he has 4 children into serious account, even if he doesn't expect you to necessarily care for them (which is a lot to take on at 18!) you have to understand that they come first and you will be splitting his time 5 ways. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it, you could always just stay friends or keep it casual until you are really sure that this is what you want but remember that you need to look out for yourself and this doesn't seem like a great idea
Reply 2
Marrying the guy for his pension or something?
Reply 3
How did he have flowers for you in his boot if you both happened to run into each other at your local? Jus' wondering.

I don't think it's worth it, personally. You're at totally different stages in life and the last thing any 18 year old needs is a guy with four kids, but it's up to you in the end.
Original post by whorace

HAHAHA :rofl:
Sugar daddy?
Reply 5
I know a 17 year old going out with a 42 year old and she gets insulted loads, if you can't handle that then dont do it
Apologies for laughing at whorace's joke my darling.
Um, I think it's fine if you both love each other and are happy.
I just have three questions for you
1. Can you relate with this man?
2. Do you have similar interests?
3. What is your power dynamic like?
Original post by Blondie987
It's difficult to say, you're an adult but you're still very young so tread carefully, also if you're looking to a long term relationship you need to take the fact that he has 4 children into serious account, even if he doesn't expect you to necessarily care for them (which is a lot to take on at 18!) you have to understand that they come first and you will be splitting his time 5 ways. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it, you could always just stay friends or keep it casual until you are really sure that this is what you want but remember that you need to look out for yourself and this doesn't seem like a great idea

PRSOM (so often!)
Original post by sandvika
I know a 17 year old going out with a 42 year old and she gets insulted loads, if you can't handle that then dont do it

Oh sh*t, one of my friends was 19 and going out with a 39 year old and I thought that was a bit much. 42?! bloody hell
Original post by whorace

Incredible :rofl:
Original post by iceagespiceage

Hes twice your age m8! I think this relationship is very one-sided. Theres very low likely of a future in this relationship. Anyway a person as yound as you shouldn't even be thinking of a relationship with a person with a kid. You should be free and enjoy life and settle down later.
Original post by LiquidGold
PRSOM (so often!)

PRSOM to you too! :biggrin:
Reply 12
tbh I've been always been one who says "Do whatever make you happy" :sigh:Even now still the same answer but....TSR (and other things :shh:) has pretty much put my guard up :sSo my answer is "Do what makes you happy and always keep your guard up... P.S age is just a number :wink: "

Original post by Katarvi
How did he have flowers for you in his boot if you both happened to run into each other at your local? Jus' wondering.

I don't think it's worth it, personally. You're at totally different stages in life and the last thing any 18 year old needs is a guy with four kids, but it's up to you in the end.

:adore: That good eye :holmes: :rofl:
Your brain doesn't fully develop until mid-twenties. I'm not doubting your judgement, but it's just something to remember.
Do you know why they got divorced?
Reply 14
Original post by Eternalflames
Apologies for laughing at whorace's joke my darling.
Um, I think it's fine if you both love each other and are happy.
I just have three questions for you
1. Can you relate with this man?
2. Do you have similar interests?
3. What is your power dynamic like?

Grandad/Granddaughter
If he is worth it then oh well, so what?!

You're 18, you are an adult. No longer a child and you can make your own decisions. Do whatever makes you happy! :h:
Original post by whorace
Grandad/Granddaughter

Ohhh c'mon...it's a big age gap, but isn't HUGE. When she is in her 20's, he will be in his 40's, it's really not that HUGE...it is big, but not grandpa like huge...
4 kids tho....
Original post by whorace
Grandad/Granddaughter

Hahaha, whorace you are savage!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by SiminaM
4 kids tho....

5 if you count her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending