The Student Room Group

French or Geography for A-level?

I'm currently choosing my A-levels and I've got 3 down:
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry

For my fourth subject, I know that I either want to take a language (French/German) or Geography.

I am about equal in ability at them but right now at GCSE level, I think I enjoy languages more (although I don't really mind Geography; some topics are more interesting than others).

However, I have heard that taking languages is hard because it is a big jump from GCSE to A-level and French A-level is quite different from GCSE because you have to write essays and speak spontaneously (which I don't think I'm very good at!)
Geography seems to be easier because the exam has a similar format to the GCSE.

Which one should I take?
If you take one or both of French and Geography, do you enjoy it and would you recommend taking it?

I really enjoyed Geography, I'd recommend that!
I chose the same A levels as you, chem, bio, maths, geography. I dropped maths at AS.
French is a haaaard A level. The amount of native speakers that do it make it very difficult for a none native speaker to get the high grades.
Geography is boring as hell but isn't too difficult - particularly at AS. Like I managed to get over 90% at AS without as much effort.
I'd say geography.

Original post by pixiefuller
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry

For my fourth subject, I know that I either want to take a language (French/German) or Geography.

I am about equal in ability at them but right now at GCSE level, I think I enjoy languages more (although I don't really mind Geography; some topics are more interesting than others).

However, I have heard that taking languages is hard because it is a big jump from GCSE to A-level and French A-level is quite different from GCSE because you have to write essays and speak spontaneously (which I don't think I'm very good at!)

Which one should I take?
If you take one or both of French and Geography, do you enjoy it and would you recommend taking it?

I did French AS and now Geography A2 - French is very hard, but also very rewarding, but Geography is so interesting and very current :smile: French would show more variety in your subjects however Geography complements them e.g. Ecology or Geochemistry.
Both are great, however I would only recommend doing a language if you get at least an A, as you need a solid foundation to learn at the next level - I got a B at GCSE and really struggled, only just getting a pass grade, however I am now confident French speaker :smile: Whereas, with Geography you can even enter A level courses without the GCSE in it, but it is still a challenge.
I am slightly biased as I am doing Geography at Uni next year, but I also now have a life skill of a language.

Hope this helps, good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
French and this is coming from someone who does geography at A2. Unless you really enjoy geography, I don't recommend it as it's alot of work (bigger workload than the sciences) and the exam timing is so tight.
Original post by Manexopi
French and this is coming from someone who does geography at A2. Unless you really enjoy geography, I don't recommend it as it's alot of work (bigger workload than the sciences) and the exam timing is so tight.

I'm having the same problem as the user who posted this thread , would you mind me asking how you felt the "jump" to be for french from what you got in your gcse , and what the speaking is like?
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry

Which one should I take?

French
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry

Which one should I take?

I'm having the same problem , I've submitted my entries saying I want to do geo , but I'm so torn because I do enjoy french. I'm going to ask my teachers more on the exam format because they are introducing a new A level now , because I have the same worry with speaking too. Everyone I've spoken to however , seems to enjoy languages a lot so I guess with the right amount of preparation before I start the A level , I'm swaying towards french. Geo you just have to remember its a lot of case studies - what do you enjoy more?
I do French at AS and I'm going to carry it on to A2. It's not actually very hard and it's really quite fun and rewarding! And I think it's always good to show another language, especially with your subject choices as it shows another side to you as you're doing maths and science!
Reply 9
Original post by AmberLoes
I'm having the same problem as the user who posted this thread , would you mind me asking how you felt the "jump" to be for french from what you got in your gcse , and what the speaking is like?

I'm sorry but I didn't do French at AS. As long as you are good with grammar and are willing to put the work in you should be fine. It was just OP sounded like they enjoyed French more than geography so I suggested not to do geography unless they really like it (:
Reply 10
Geography is great
I'm having the same problem , I've submitted my entries saying I want to do geo , but I'm so torn because I do enjoy french. I'm going to ask my teachers more on the exam format because they are introducing a new A level now , because I have the same worry with speaking too. Everyone I've spoken to however , seems to enjoy languages a lot so I guess with the right amount of preparation before I start the A level , I'm swaying towards french. Geo you just have to remember its a lot of case studies - what do you enjoy more?

Geography A level is a looooot more than just remembering case studies. It is actual essays and evaluation and criticisms that you have to do. My other A levels are sciences, including biology, and I have more workload in geog than those.
Geography is quite diabolical in terms of how boring it is and how tedious the essays are. It does however seem to be easier than French.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tcameron
Geography A level is a looooot more than just remembering case studies. It is actual essays and evaluation and criticisms that you have to do. My other A levels are sciences, including biology, and I have more workload in geog than those.
Geography is quite diabolical in terms of how boring it is and how tedious the essays are. It does however seem to be easier than French.

Thanks I'll take that into account :smile:
Thanks I'll take that into account :smile:

I chose Geography in the end, but after reading the most recent entries to this forum I am now swaying towards French!
Have you reached a final decision yet and if you haven't, maybe we could talk it over :smile:
I chose Geography in the end, but after reading the most recent entries to this forum I am now swaying towards French!
Have you reached a final decision yet and if you haven't, maybe we could talk it over :smile:

Hey , thank you for offering but I submitted my final options today and I went for french in the end - I think I'd miss it too much to not take it. :smile:
Hey , thank you for offering but I submitted my final options today and I went for french in the end - I think I'd miss it too much to not take it. :smile:

Ah okay, good luck with it! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Ah okay, good luck with it! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Thank you ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest