The Student Room Group

If you have one offer for medicine, will you not get another one?

I have no idea wether there's any truth in this but my GP who sometimes interviews for Liverpool said to me that as soon as a candidate receives one offer, they're unlikely to receive another unless they are truly the most exceptional, you know top 1% of everyone ever. I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything similar and wether it is complete rubbish or not??
Original post by robertsmith89
I have no idea wether there's any truth in this but my GP who sometimes interviews for Liverpool said to me that as soon as a candidate receives one offer, they're unlikely to receive another unless they are truly the most exceptional, you know top 1% of everyone ever. I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything similar and wether it is complete rubbish or not??

In terms of the general stats, it's unlikely for people to get an offer at all, sadly. It's not impossible for people to get more than one offer though. I'm not sure of what the exact stats are although I highly doubt it's just the top 1% tbh.
Reply 2
Universities do not know where else you have applied or how you have done in other application processes, so there is no "system" for ensuring people only get one offer. Because medicine is so competitive, over half of people will get no offers, and I imagine a significant proportion of the rest will only get one, but there's no conspiracy behind the scenes!
Reply 3
i applied twice and only got one offer
If you get 4 interviews and ace them all then it is possible to get 4 offers, but you have to tailor your interview to each school as they vary in teaching style and ethos. E.g. Oxford might not look for the same qualities as SGUL but if you're exceptionally well rounded it's doable.

You can't accept an offer with anything pending so if people get an early offer from their first choice they might withdraw leaving them not knowing if they were successful elsewhere. Med school admissions don't know where else you apply or what offers/rejections you hold.
Original post by robertsmith89

Yeah, that's complete rubbish, lol.
Medicine is very competitive but quite a few people get 2/3/4 offers. I've managed to get three offers so far and there are many on here with at least 2. Your other unis won't even know if you got an offer from the others so it wouldn't affect decisions.
Reply 7
Original post by kdizzle97
Medicine is very competitive but quite a few people get 2/3/4 offers. I've managed to get three offers so far and there are many on here with at least 2. Your other unis won't even know if you got an offer from the others so it wouldn't affect decisions.

Where are ur offers from?
Original post by Jonnyss
Where are ur offers from?

Kings, UEA and Hull-York
You might not know them irl but on TSR, many people get 4 offers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending