The Student Room Group

Changing courses

Hey,
I'm second year medicine, and I've just been generally unhappy with it. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but had a few different ideas. Because medicine was an early application, and something I might want to do, I applied and obviously got in. But it's just not inspiring me, I can't be bothered to put the effort in because I don't really care about it. I care about not failing as I would for anything, but not specifically the course. There's aspects I like, like the clinical exams and certain topics, but I've been thinking about maybe changing to something more practical. Another option I considered was engineering, but I didn't apply because I didn't know what type to apply for. I'm still considering it, and I wondered how possible it would be to do. Especially in terms of finance and things.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
How about doing an intercalation and then leaving? It wouldn't allow you to do all disciplines of engineering, you'd only really be able to do biomedical engineering or chemical engineering and it might require doing a masters afterwards but it would take a lot less time and potentially money than dropping out and starting anew.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
How about doing an intercalation and then leaving? It wouldn't allow you to do all disciplines of engineering, you'd only really be able to do biomedical engineering or chemical engineering and it might require doing a masters afterwards but it would take a lot less time and potentially money than dropping out and starting anew.

How would I do that?

Edit: I looked it up, and all of the intercalation opportunities are medicine related eg biochem, pyshiology etc, but thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JAG95
How would I do that?

Edit: I looked it up, and all of the intercalation opportunities are medicine related eg biochem, pyshiology etc, but thank you!

There's biomedical engineering intercalated MSc at Keele and biochemistry could lead into a ChemEng masters. There are also conversion masters for computer science that you could do after any Bachelor's degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
There's biomedical engineering intercalated MSc at Keele and biochemistry could lead into a ChemEng masters. There are also conversion masters for computer science that you could do after any Bachelor's degree.

Do I not have to intercalate at the uni I'm at?
Original post by JAG95
Hey,
I'm second year medicine, and I've just been generally unhappy with it. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but had a few different ideas. Because medicine was an early application, and something I might want to do, I applied and obviously got in. But it's just not inspiring me, I can't be bothered to put the effort in because I don't really care about it. I care about not failing as I would for anything, but not specifically the course. There's aspects I like, like the clinical exams and certain topics, but I've been thinking about maybe changing to something more practical. Another option I considered was engineering, but I didn't apply because I didn't know what type to apply for. I'm still considering it, and I wondered how possible it would be to do. Especially in terms of finance and things.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

I think you'd need to apply again for a separate degree, as medicine is sufficiently different to engineering that I don't think there is any overlap. Do you have the right subjects for entry to an engineering degree?
Original post by JAG95
Do I not have to intercalate at the uni I'm at?

Nope you can intercalate elsewhere.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
I think you'd need to apply again for a separate degree, as medicine is sufficiently different to engineering that I don't think there is any overlap. Do you have the right subjects for entry to an engineering degree?

I did chemistry, biology and maths at a level with physics at as

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending