The Student Room Group

So apparently gender doesn't exist?

Attachment not found

I used to have a tumblr account and aside from the site being severely toxic, I discovered that majority of the users are nutters.

Apparently to fit the criteria of a "good person" I'm meant to believe that, actually, gender doesn't even exist. It never did. Mankind has been living a lie all this time. On top of gender not existing, it is also possible to choose what gender (because that's not contradictory at all) you have. That means that even if someone has a vagina it doesn't necessarily mean they're a woman (okay?)

Someone was trying to explain it all to me before and no matter how many times they said it, just seemed... stupid. Really, really idiotic. They explained it from multiple angles, tried to throw in big words to make their point seem more reasonable but when it came down to it, we both knew how ridiculous they sounded. In the end all I got from that conversation was that I need to stop befriending people who tell me it's possible to "swim around the gender spectrum on different days to find more comfortable locations" (seriously, wake up)

Anyway, anyone who looks down at their penis and decides that they're actually a woman has problems upstairs. End of. No silly metaphors about swimming around imaginary spectrums. Capisce?

The same goes for all those people who claim to be "otherkin". I repeat: there are people who actually believe that they're animals. I don't know about you, but if I met a person who was convinced that they were a starfish or a horse, I'd be highly concerned.

As for transethnic/transracial people... Don't even get me started. The level of self-hate you must possess to look at your ethnicity and decide that you want a different one worries me. It all just seems like a cult.

My theory is that people are trolling each other to see how far they can push things.

It's either that or the more likely alternative: people literally are bonkers.

They've completely lost the plot.

It's really sad to see

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Learner4
Attachment not found

I used to have a tumblr account and aside from the site being severely toxic, I discovered that majority of the users are nutters.

Apparently to fit the criteria of a "good person" I'm meant to believe that, actually, gender doesn't even exist. It never did. Mankind has been living a lie all this time. On top of gender not existing, it is also possible to choose what gender (because that's not contradictory at all) you have. That means that even if someone has a vagina it doesn't necessarily mean they're a woman (okay?)

Someone was trying to explain it all to me before and no matter how many times they said it, just seemed... stupid. Really, really idiotic. They explained it from multiple angles, tried to throw in big words to make their point seem more reasonable but when it came down to it, we both knew how ridiculous they sounded. In the end all I got from that conversation was that I need to stop befriending people who tell me it's possible to "swim around the gender spectrum on different days to find more comfortable locations" (seriously, wake up)

Anyway, anyone who looks down at their penis and decides that they're actually a woman has problems upstairs. End of. No silly metaphors about swimming around imaginary spectrums. Capisce?

The same goes for all those people who claim to be "otherkin". I repeat: there are people who actually believe that they're animals. I don't know about you, but if I met a person who was convinced that they were a starfish or a horse, I'd be highly concerned.

As for transethnic/transracial people... Don't even get me started. The level of self-hate you must possess to look at your ethnicity and decide that you want a different one worries me. It all just seems like a cult.

My theory is that people are trolling each other to see how far they can push things.

It's really sad to see

Yup - people are bonkers - these are first world problems - treat them with the disdain that they deserve. These ideas emanate from people who contemplate their naval fluff and do not do a real job. You and I know differently. Seriously.
Imo anyway, gender certainly exists but is not as straightforward as people may assume, gender and biological anatomy are different and while most individuals relate their gender directly to their sex, it is important to understand that that is not the case for everyone and gender is much more based on how someone identifies and sees themself rather than a predispositioned certainty :smile:
It's not really a 'tumblr' thing is it though? It's just that person is ridiculous. Gender does exist and I'm not sure how that photo says it doesn't?
Attachment not found

It's really sad to see

A lot of people like this are trolls and you can usually tell when they're taking the p. They provide great entertainment though
Reply 5
Original post by connieiscrazy
A lot of people like this are trolls and you can usually tell when they're taking the p. They provide great entertainment though

And great headaches lol
Attachment not found
gender doesn't even exist. It never did. Mankind has been living a lie all this time. On top of gender not existing, it is also possible to choose what gender (because that's not contradictory at all) you have.

Gender does exist. Gender is 'the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex' (Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary). You don't choose your gender - it's just something you feel innately.

However, gender is not the same as biological sex. Biological sex is 'either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions' (Oxford English Dictionary). Basically it's whether you have a penis or a vagina, though it can sometimes be more complex than this (1 in 2000 children is born intersex).

That means that even if someone has a vagina it doesn't necessarily mean they're a woman (okay?)

Anyway, anyone who looks down at their penis and decides that they're actually a woman has problems upstairs. End of.

Normally your gender and biological sex align but not always. This is called gender dysphoria which is a recognised medical condition but NOT a mental illness (source: NHS Choices). Someone living with gender dysphoria does not have 'problems upstairs'. Feeling that your gender identity does not match your biological sex is deeply distressing. Furthermore, making the choice to live as a transgender or transsexual individual requires great courage and can mean facing a lifetime of prejudice and violence.

So you're right, gender does exist. But your gender identity isn't the same as your biological sex, and it isn't always a binary male/female thing. People don't choose to have gender dysphoria; they just do.
Gender exists, just in the sense that Spiderman exists, rather than in the sense that an elephant exists.
I used to have concerns similar to yours until I realized:

Gender and sex are two different things - Sex is a biological fact and gender is a social convention. Confusion between the two rock both sides of this issue.

Gender is a social construct - Countries can have genders like "The Fatherland"(Germany) or "Mother Russia". Despite having genders, nobody is saying that these countries have testicles or a vulva; Boats can have a gender in the sense that, "I love my boat! Isn't she a beauty?" and again people aren't saying the boat has a womb.

A man with gender dysphoria is a female gender in the same sense that Russia is a woman or the boat is a woman: Nobody is saying they have exclusively female chromosomes or breasts but that they feel they have qualities that are traditionally stated to be feminine.

When I realized that, I realized that I didn't really care if someone wanted to dress up in lipstick and high heels. I was still concerned about the high levels of suicide among said people and of the horrific lack of support that gender reassignment surgery helps with that, but I really have no power or place to tell someone about that unless they specifically ask my opinion or they are a close relationship.

Also, as a point of suggestion, don't ever say to someone "Yes - You're a woman in the same sense that my car is or Russia is."

They hate that and, while true, isn't really going to do anything other than offend them.
Reply 9
Not for me it doesn't. :wink:
I don't really mind, whatever people want to be, they should be, so long as it doesn't impact others negatively, it's their own decision :smile:
I understand how someone can be male or female. If someone is transgender, doesn't that mean they have went from one to the other? So they change to whichever of those two that they where not. So surely there are two genders?
One thing I've noticed is that these 'gender fluid' something-o-sexual snowflakes are disproportionately teenage, tumblr-dwelling dorks with self-diagnosed mental disorders. But I'm sure their obscure gender identities and increasingly unique sexual orientations are genuine and not simply a product of their adolescent cries for attention.

Not that many genderqueer, pansexual 45-year-olds out there. Just sayin'.
In my opinion if you have a penis you are male
If you have a vagina you are female. I am not going to double check with every person I meet what gender they define themselves as so I can make sure I get my pronouns right.
Make you are well versed in your gender chart.

Original post by Dandaman1
One thing I've noticed is that these 'gender fluid' something-o-sexual snowflakes are disproportionately teenage, tumblr-dwelling dorks with self-diagnosed mental disorders. But I'm sure their obscure gender identities and increasingly unique sexual orientations are genuine and not simply a product of their adolescent cries for attention.

Pretty much what I think.

Highlighted is quite funny.
Of course gender exists.

But it's not as simple as gender = sex (besides the multiple definitions of gender.)

(edit) I'll add onto that, I've noticed many people say gender is an entirely societal construct (therefore) it does not exist (or words to that effect.) I don't agree with the premise that's it's entirely a societal construct, but even if it was, just because something is one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Stupid silly logic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
Of course gender exists.

But it's not as simple as gender = sex (besides the multiple definitions of gender.)

(edit) I'll add onto that, I've noticed many people say gender is an entirely societal construct (therefore) it does not exist (or words to that effect.) I don't agree with the premise that's it's entirely a societal construct, but even if it was, just because something is one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Stupid silly logic.

Society is a social construct, therefore it doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Society is a social construct, therefore it doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol

(edit) I'm actually surprised how many people hold that logic.
Original post by Dandaman1

I think you think that because in general 45 year olds don't tend to be on tumblr and that seems to be the only place you've looked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending