The Student Room Group

I think I can't go to university.

I probably won't be able to go to university. I got DDE at AS and, etc.

The thing is, is what do I do now? Everyone else is going to university no one seems to even consider the possibility of not going. I'm rather at a loss in what to do in life.

Just curious as to what y'all think.

Scroll to see replies

Re-take your A-levels, get a job/apprenticeship or put 10,000 hours into a profitable skill (Music, writing, business etc)
Original post by similarBlank

The thing is, is what do I do now? Everyone else is going to university no one seems to even consider the possibility of not going. I'm rather at a loss in what to do in life.

Do you want to go to university?
What do you want to do in the future?

You could always take a BTEC in the subject you want to study at university, and then apply to university with that, or retake some of your AS modules so you still get a decent average in A2. This is only if you want to go to university though, so many people don't go to university and there are so many jobs out there that don't require a degree

It really depends on what you want to do in the future, if you need a degree to do that job you can retake your a-levels (unless law or medicine), or do a vocational qualification that will enable you to get into uni. You can try to get an apprenticeship also, but be careful, some are totally crap.
Original post by cherryred90s
Do you want to go to university?
What do you want to do in the future?

Well, I was rather planning to do what everyone else did and go.

But, really I still have no idea what I want to do in the future.

I know exactly what you are going through. I got CCDE at AS and I thought my life is over. My father nearly convinced me to just give up and get a job at Tescos for the rest of my life. However, I didn't give up that easily. I went around nearly every Sixth Form in my area and begged them to allow me to retake my AS levels. Luckily one Sixth Form were kind enough to offer me a place. After that it was work, work, work. I worked my arse off for the next year and got AABB in my AS levels. I am currently at A2 with offers from university. No matter how low you are in life, don't ever give up! The reason why we fall in life is to learn to pick ourselves back up and keep moving forward. Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I know exactly what you are going through. I got CCDE at AS and I thought my life is over. My father nearly convinced me to just give up and get a job at Tescos for the rest of my life. However, I didn't give up that easily. I went around nearly every Sixth Form in my area and begged them to allow me to retake my AS levels. Luckily one Sixth Form were kind enough to offer me a place. After that it was work, work, work. I worked my arse off for the next year and got AABB in my AS levels. I am currently at A2 with offers from university. No matter how low you are in life, don't ever give up! The reason why we fall in life is to learn to pick ourselves back up and keep moving forward. Good Luck! :smile:

Wow thats amazing!! This gives me hope.:smile:

I once got BDDE at AS and now I'm in of the best universities in the world; UCL
Reply 9

Just want to back Hunnybee's comment up about looking at doing a foundation year :smile: I did one one which automatically enrolled me onto the BSc in Psychology I'm currently doing and found it absolutely invaluable. I learnt things things which some people take for granted like how to reference, how to use the library etc and it got me used to the 'university way of life'; so getting used to a much bigger focus on independent study and how my course would be taught through lectures and seminars.

I think my A Levels are CDD - I can't remember :tongue: But I achieved more 1st's (so things graded at 70%+) more than any other mark last year and it's set me up for 2nd year really well too! Don't give up hope! Never give up on your dreams because if you; they'll stay just that ^^
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not the end of the world. Uni doesn't have to follow school immediately. It could be worth exploring some careers to find out where your interests lie. You never really know where life will take you. I became a makeup artist after art college and now I have an offer for medicine at uni (11 years ago I was about to discover my A Level Biology was a D and AS Phyics also a D). Try pick the grades up a little as it might be helpful in the future but don't write uni off yet if it is something you want.

I got DDU in my as levels and I've got 3 interviews for uni... I'm doing 2 A2'S and an AS to replace the U... typically you need 3 full a levels. .. If I've got chances you have to. There's other ways to go around it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I got CCCU at AS. Didn't go on to do A2 as I just convinced myself I'd fail. I took some time out, worked, did an access course and am starting uni in September. I'm actually glad I didn't go at 18 because I probably would have spent more time getting drunk than doing any work (that was my prerogative back then). I feel more prepared now and know what I want out of life and my course! Don't ever give up.
Ha! Thanks, have a stalk through my posts :wink:
I just wanted to learn more and feel useful. I love science, hated A Levels but then did well at uni as a mature student :smile:
Favourite brands are Laura Mercier for foundation and "natural" makeup, Nars for eyeshadow, MAC for lipstick and brushes and brush cleanser, Shu Uemura for lashes. Unnggghhh I love it all, but not enough I guess. I am quite good at it but not so brilliant and creative that I could dedicate my life to it and support a family on my earnings (it was great when I was young and had zero ambition). Now I do the odd job for regulars, same with photography but I work as a medical photographer as my day job and I feel so much more comfortable in this role. I love heading to work now and when I do take on makeup jobs it is only stuff I really want to do (couldn't afford to turn anything down when I was a freelancer).
Well, I was rather planning to do what everyone else did and go.

But, really I still have no idea what I want to do in the future.

I personally wouldn't apply to uni for a while then. I'd do something like an apprenticeship or maybe different A Levels? You don't have to go to uni straight after school. Heck, you don't even have to go to uni. Don't do what everyone else is doing. Do what you want to do.

You need to work out what you want to do and work out how to get there. For some careers, an apprenticeship is probably better than uni.
UEL or London Met will literally let anyone in, try there! :smile:
You can retake or do a foundation course. Uni is not right for everyone and if you dont enjoy study, then I wouldnt go.
When you leave school you could go to college or do an apprenticeship in soemthing more vocational.

The biggest mistake you cna do is drift to uni becayse everyone else does and then rack up £50k+ in debt without enjoying it. You cna always go later in life 5,10,15 years from now.
Use clearing, they will consider people with lower grades because some people change their course or withdraw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about a Foundation year? Most only ask for 2 grade Ds at A level.
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
What about a Foundation year? Most only ask for 2 grade Ds at A level.

Mine required 200 UCAS points; so a C and two D's :smile: It'll vary from uni to uni though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending