The Student Room Group

Hijab/Niqab/Burka at interviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariam687
Ok yes, theres a dress code I understand but think about it, its religion we're talking about.

you say that as though religion is deserving of special rights or exemptions from the law...

People take religion seriously and companies/organisations should accept it and in fact they should respect it.

why should they? what makes religious beliefs so deserving of special rights/protection, especially in a secular country like the UK?
Reply 161
Original post by endgametheory
From what I've read, the Quran states that it is compulsory for Muslim women to cover their hair. There's a verse which actually mentions this. (however don't get that twisted, it is definitely not something that should be forced upon).

Well, this is what is said in the Koran:

"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (e.g. bosoms)..." [Quran 24:31]

It doesn't say the hair/head, but bosoms.
Can't ever imagine myself or anyone I've worked with who hires, hiring someone who wears a burka in the office. A Hijab doesn't bother me but it's a bit of a toss up, a decent amount of people I know wouldn't like it but then again I know others who don't care. Depends on the environment/company. Of course nobody is ever going to openly admit this in person.
From what I've read, the Quran states that it is compulsory for Muslim women to cover their hair. There's a verse which actually mentions this. (however don't get that twisted, it is definitely not something that should be forced upon).

Spoiler

I literally said this in my above posts, but even when you put out the evidence, some people will still try and deny the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol they're just saying what they want to hear. It's common for people who know they've lost a debate, but still continue arguing their point.

Agreed :yy:
Reply 165
Where did you get that quote from? The quote i have posted below is the literal translation from the verse in the Quran.

It was posted by Hanwar, who is probably the most intransigent Muslim on TSR.

source: http://islamawakened.com/quran/24/31/ There is literally a lot of reliability for this translation as countless other translations from scholars pretty much say the same thing. Why would the passage instruct women to use just a headcover to cover their bossoms? Thats like using your trousers to cover your chest.

Among the translations given by the site you provided, only 8 on 29 (among the "generally accepted translation''). refer to "head-covering", the other say "veils" or "shawls", etc.

Spoiler

I rest my case, the Koran doesn't say women should cover their head. I'm glad you have posted that website; it backs my views. :yy:

Spoiler

if you spent any time just reading this thread you wouldnt have repeatead the refuted ignorance above. for about the 5th time the verse you quote refers to pull the covering ( or cloak) over the chest - nothing about the 'head' the 'hair' the ears or the fibula for that matter. none of those body parts are mentioned apart from the chest - and yet various ppl want to re-write the quran on their behalf to try and enforce their personal preferences.

ppl are free to wear waht they want, but others arnt going to swallow a made up justification that it is 'religious requirement. the wearing of a headscarf was very much ancient culture ( all over the region) amoung muslims and non muslims alike. it has nothing to do with islam. in fact in those times it was worn quite loosley and never even covered the hair.
Where did you get that quote from? The quote i have posted below is the literal translation from the verse in the Quran.

Why would the passage instruct women to use just a headcover to cover their bossoms? Thats like using your trousers to cover your chest. .

because again if you read a little more this question would have been answered for you. why is it tsrs muslims want to claim somthing so vehemently without ever doing the background reading?
khimar refers to a cover, not a headdress. a table cloth is a khimar, as is a window curtain etc as has been used in classical arabic. it is only certain sects of islam that now take the meaning to be a' head cover' and they do this because nowhere in the quran is there an instruction to cover the head or hair. so they have to find a place to insert that idea.

the word for head is 'ras' - this term or nothing like it is used in your quoted verse even once. only covering the chest is mentioned - therefore only this can be claimed as a religious instruction ( unless you intend to re-write the verse). not head or hair and of course not the need for a burkh or niqab either.

Before you ask why the word head cover is even used, it implies that the woman is already wearing something to cover her head, and that piece of clothing should also extend to cover your entire body. (excluding your hands and face). In other words, its the same as looking like Christian nun. .

nuns, like sheikhs, rabbis and cardinals dressed differntly to the population.
most normal arab women and christians, romans, jews of the time etc , all wore a head scarf of some sort as it was the fashion of the era islam arose from - it was not islamic doctrine but culture which women of all faiths practiced. They wore it loosley on top of the head not for any covering means, and it in most cases did not cover the hair from sight at all .

please see here a historic drawing of Khadjia ( mohammeds wife) taken from traditional description - showing a very loose headscarf not covering very much at all -

i the same way british women of the 1940s used to wear them (and old women from that era still do ) , and indeed muslims women in the 2016 wear bright coloured hedsccraves. Its not an issue to wear something for fashion - but dont mix fashion with religious requirment.

That's quite a difficult claim to make, do you have any reliable stats to back it up?

From what I know, the hijab did not become a global phenomenon until the 1970s, beginning with the Iranian Islamic Revolution. From there, even most predominantly Sunni countries saw a resurgence in Islam. The Hijab was not so much as popularized with the resurgence of Islam, but with the desire to manifest a Muslim identity in the face of what was seen as the international awakening of Muslims. You don't know how popular the hijab has been in time, but you can deduce that since Islam is statistically growing in terms of believers of the faith, the use of the Hijab has increased over the years.

youve effectively answered your own question - showing the hijab is a modern development and innovation , making a political statement and was never a part of the orginal islamic doctrine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Josb
This is your interpretation. As it has been proven on this thread, nowhere in the Koran it is written that you should cover your hair. Most female Muslims didn't cover their hair before the 80s, they weren't less Muslim.

Head covering is a prescription of some radical Muslim sects. I think that tolerating their views is a regression.

Living in society implies making some concessions to your lifestyle. I don't dress like I want when I go to work, I don't see why Muslims cannot do the same.

It's not against Islam, I would think the same of Jews that keep their kippa, or atheists that wear a cap.

In Chapter 33 known as al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allah gives the following command to Prophet Muhammad:
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ, قُلْ لأَزْوَاجِكَ وَ بَنَاتِكَ وَ نِسآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ: يُدْنِيْنَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ جَلاَبِيْبِهِنَّ...
“O Prophet! Say to your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib. (this is a loose garment)
Reply 169
Original post by mariam687
In Chapter 33 known as al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allah gives the following command to Prophet Muhammad:
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ, قُلْ لأَزْوَاجِكَ وَ بَنَاتِكَ وَ نِسآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ: يُدْنِيْنَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ جَلاَبِيْبِهِنَّ...
“O Prophet! Say to your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib. (this is a loose garment)

Sorry, but it doesn't say "on their head/hair".

If you had read the posts above, you would found that I posted the extracts of 29 accepted translations of the Koran. None of these translations explicitly refers to the head or hair, the focus is always on the breasts/bosom. Only eight translations refers to "head-coverings", which may imply that their head is already covered, but it is still not said that it should be a requirement to cover their head. 21 translations don't mention the head at all.
islamawakened.com/quran/24/31/

I'm putting them there for you:

Spoiler

So, claiming the headscarf is a religion garment is very dubious, since it is not an imperative in the Koran.
Original post by Reformed
you are paraphrasing / innovating on what was originally written - and this is how edicts go from one thing to another - ie orders to cover womens chest go to orders to cover womens head, hair & chest, to orders to cover womens head hair chest feet face hands etc till eventually you have women walking around with a sack over them. By that stage it would be easier simply to keep them indoors if its so important to keep their body parts out of public view,

you forget that after the quran islamic society has operated for over 1300 years and the hundreds of islamic leaders ( all men btw) have each had their inputs and re-interpretations added into the mix.

im not against the hijab at all, im simply of the view that it is not ordained in the quran andso its not an islamic requirement. you also dont seem to relaise that the theres no specific islamic argument for a muslim to make to wear one. 'hijab' or scarf, veils, even bukhas were all worn for hundreds of years before the quran in arabic society - headscarves even were worn by the ancient romans. none were islamic , they were culturally what women wore day to day , for various reasons - ie it was the fashion

im simply trying to explain to you what the verse actually said,the word used and their meaning, rather than simply regurgitating the justifcation to cover women up used by muslim males for the last few centuries

But I told you our Prophet told us in many Hadith that women should dress this way, and that makes it an Islamic requirement. We are ordered by Allah in the Qur'an to follow the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (saw). And yes women from many other cultures dressed more modestly back then. It's not that it was 'the fashion', women were just more modest during those times. it's still 'the fashion' in many cultures today, with Western culture being an exception, in which modesty is now almost non-existent. Islam, of course, has preserved that modesty and it is from Allah.

I have studied what the verse means, and a lot of people who try to disprove the obligation of the hijab use the analysis you gave me. But I follow the analysis of Islamic scholars, and of those whose Arabic is at a very high level

At the end of the day it's up to each individual woman whether they wear the hijab or not. I believe it's one of the basic things a Muslim woman can do for her religion.
Original post by Reformed
because again if you read a little more this question would have been answered for you. why is it tsrs muslims want to claim somthing so vehemently without ever doing the background reading?
khimar refers to a cover, not a headdress. a table cloth is a khimar, as is a window curtain etc as has been used in classical arabic. it is only certain sects of islam that now take the meaning to be a' head cover' and they do this because nowhere in the quran is there an instruction to cover the head or hair. so they have to find a place to insert that idea.

the word for head is 'ras' - this term or nothing like it is used in your quoted verse even once. only covering the chest is mentioned - therefore only this can be claimed as a religious instruction ( unless you intend to re-write the verse). not head or hair and of course not the need for a burkh or niqab either.

nuns, like sheikhs, rabbis and cardinals dressed differntly to the population.
most normal arab women and christians, romans, jews of the time etc , all wore a head scarf of some sort as it was the fashion of the era islam arose from - it was not islamic doctrine but culture which women of all faiths practiced. They wore it loosley on top of the head not for any covering means, and it in most cases did not cover the hair from sight at all .

please see here a historic drawing of Khadjia ( mohammeds wife) taken from traditional description - showing a very loose headscarf not covering very much at all -

i the same way british women of the 1940s used to wear them (and old women from that era still do ) , and indeed muslims women in the 2016 wear bright coloured hedsccraves. Its not an issue to wear something for fashion - but dont mix fashion with religious requirment.

youve effectively answered your own question - showing the hijab is a modern development and innovation , making a political statement and was never a part of the orginal islamic doctrine.

Out of curiosity do you speak/understand Arabic?
Original post by Serine Soul
Hijab (headscarf) = fine
Abaya (that long dress thing) = fine
Niqab = wouldn't hire

As an employer, I couldn't have my employee not showing their faces as they interact with others, especially if that involves customers. It looks intimidating and poses a huge safety risk.

I agree, what's your company or what are you an employer of? if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by samina_ay
I agree, what's your company or what are you an employer of? if you don't mind me asking.

Ahh I'm not an employer

Just speaking hypothetically :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
Ahh I'm not an employer

Just speaking hypothetically :smile:

Gahhh that was so stupid of me, lool
Original post by yasminkattan
But I told you our Prophet told us in many Hadith that women should dress this way, and that makes it an Islamic requirement. We are ordered by Allah in the Qur'an to follow the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (saw).

it is often questionable ( and debated) by muslims and also non muslims alike as to what mohammed actually said and who has the authority to speak on his behalf. the quran is accepted by the entire muslim world however as containing the commandments muslims should follow word for word. and indeed ther verse relating to womens clothing you all are talking about only specifies the covering of the chest and does not mention the head or the hair. this point cannot be disputed no matter what you believe mohammed said. if it were important and islamic to cover up all body parts - you have to ask yourself why the quran did not specifically say so in the verse about covering.

And yes women from many other cultures dressed more modestly back then. It's not that it was 'the fashion', women were just more modest during those times. it's still 'the fashion' in many cultures today, with Western culture being an exception, in which modesty is now almost non-existent. Islam, of course, has preserved that modesty and it is from Allah.

it was fashion in that it was the accepted norm of dress to wear cloaks and indeed some sort of headscarf - as i have pointed out this was not an islamic dictat - it was observed by pretty much all faiths of the time, and all of them wore it out of cultural habit, not to fully cover hair etc.. so in fact its a cultural practice ( of the 8th century ) and not an islamic requirement. i have shown how khadija mohammeds wife wore a loose scarf ( as was normal for women of the time) and it wasnt obscuring her hair at all

I have studied what the verse means, and a lot of people who try to disprove the obligation of the hijab use the analysis you gave me. But I follow the analysis of Islamic scholars, and of those whose Arabic is at a very high level

its not really analyisis, its simply reading what words the quran uses. again - if head and hair needed to be covered islamically, why werent they mentioned along with the chest? this is not rocket science- so it should not be beyond your scholars.

At the end of the day it's up to each individual woman whether they wear the hijab or not. I believe it's one of the basic things a Muslim woman can do for her religion.

indeed - in uk and most of west women are free to wear headscarves ( remember it used to be the fashion here too in the 1930s) - fashion is an acceptable reason to wear something - this doesnt make it a religious requirement though so you cant make that false justification , as the quran makes quite clear
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending