The Student Room Group

I missed my deadline to register to vote

I didn't realise i had been receiving letters about voting and had no idea there was a deadline, mine was 26th january. I registered today as soon as i realised and emailed my local council about it but i am terrified i will get fined the £80. Any help?
Original post by Avidreader10
I didn't realise i had been receiving letters about voting and had no idea there was a deadline, mine was 26th january. I registered today as soon as i realised and emailed my local council about it but i am terrified i will get fined the £80. Any help?

its not compulsory to be on the electoral register in this country so you are fine
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
its not compulsory to be on the electoral register in this country so you are fine

Unfortunately it is compulsory to register to vote in the UK however it isn't compulsory to vote. Therefore i am really concerned i will still be fined for missing the deadline i didn't realise i had.
Unfortunately it is compulsory to register to vote in the UK however it isn't compulsory to vote. Therefore i am really concerned i will still be fined for missing the deadline i didn't realise i had.

my apologies, although ive always registered i know people who never bothered and nothing happened, so i wouldn't panic
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
my apologies, although ive always registered i know people who never bothered and nothing happened, so i wouldn't panic

It's just not particularly pleasant knowing i'm a risk of being fined. I have emailed my local council but being very late and a weekend, i'm left worrying until monday.
It's just not particularly pleasant knowing i'm a risk of being fined. I have emailed my local council but being very late and a weekend, i'm left worrying until monday.

They sent me that letter 4 times, nothing ever happened. I wouldn't worry.
Reply 6
Original post by tinkerbella~
They sent me that letter 4 times, nothing ever happened. I wouldn't worry.

Did you miss the deadline they set you to register by? i'm just worried because i have no idea how many times they have sent that letter and my deadline was almost a month ago.
Did you miss the deadline they set you to register by? i'm just worried because i have no idea how many times they have sent that letter and my deadline was almost a month ago.

I signed up for it initially, then I think I got another form wanting a load more details? It wanted my national insurance number which I didn't know so I sent off for that which took forever to get back to me. They kept sending me letters like "you must register by the end of September or we're going to fine you £80" then at the end of September, I'd get the same letter but the date being pushed on a month, etc. Basically they just kept moving the deadline when I didn't complete the registration. I think you should be fine :smile:
Reply 8
I signed up for it initially, then I think I got another form wanting a load more details? It wanted my national insurance number which I didn't know so I sent off for that which took forever to get back to me. They kept sending me letters like "you must register by the end of September or we're going to fine you £80" then at the end of September, I'd get the same letter but the date being pushed on a month, etc. Basically they just kept moving the deadline when I didn't complete the registration. I think you should be fine :smile:

I just dug around the house and found THREE letters in drawers with deadlines so i guess you're right about the moving of deadlines but what if i've left it too long and they will fine me now? for all i know there could be more of those letters somewhere.
I just dug around the house and found THREE letters in drawers with deadlines so i guess you're right about the moving of deadlines but what if i've left it too long and they will fine me now? for all i know there could be more of those letters somewhere.

I honestly don't think they will, just send the final bit off as soon as you can :smile:
I honestly don't think they will, just send the final bit off as soon as you can :smile:

I have, i didn't know anything about a fine or deadline until after i sent off the application today
Thanks for this thread, I've been ignoring the letters because I didn't realise you had to register, after seeing this I checked my letter and my deadline was 07/03/16. Thankfully I finished it up just now.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Thanks for this thread, I've been ignoring the letters because I didn't realise you had to register, after seeing this I checked my letter and my deadline was 07/03/16. Thankfully I finished it up just now.

Glad you realised, at least you're safe from a fine

Quick Reply