The Student Room Group

Is there any way of revising effectively without putting pen to paper?

I am just tired of condensing information in the form of mind maps or making notes over and over. It seems that I forget everything after a day or two.

Any alternative revision strategies?
Reply 1
I've never made notes when it comes to revising. What works best for me is just reading the textbook repeatedly, watching youtube videos on the subject and doing past paper questions :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by luciie
I've never made notes when it comes to revising. What works best for me is just reading the textbook repeatedly, watching youtube videos on the subject and doing past paper questions :smile:

Really? I thought making notes was the only way. So you watch YouTube videos and just sit back, attempting to understand everything? I thought making notes enables a thorough understanding because you're in full consciousness and control of your learning. Is this how you're approaching the finals in the summer?
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Really? I thought making notes was the only way. So you watch YouTube videos and just sit back, attempting to understand everything? I thought making notes enables a thorough understanding because you're in full consciousness and control of your learning. Is this how you're approaching the finals in the summer?

I thought notes was the only way too :redface: I tried it out a few times but it just didn't work for me and I wasted so much time trying to make my notes perfect that I wasn't actually learning anything.
What I do is read the textbook a few times, watch the youtube videos on that topic a couple of times to make sure I understand everything and then try past paper questions.If I don't know any of the answers then I go back and go over that topic again :smile: This is what I'll be doing for the exams (unless I find a technique that works better for me).
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I am just tired of condensing information in the form of mind maps or making notes over and over. It seems that I forget everything after a day or two.

Any alternative revision strategies?

There are lots of different techniques you can try. It depends on the subject (this works less well for essay subjects) but for the sciences, I think doing past-papers can help consolidate knowledge well. When I have to learn lots of facts, I use Anki. It's flashcards but it allows you to store everything in one place and uses algorithms to regularly provoke you into revising (and the more you get a card correct, the longer the spacing between recalls) so it allows you to revise in a very efficient manner.
People learn differently. Sometimes if I'm tired of just writing out notes/answers to questions I just walk around the house and read the notes I've already made out loud and explain things (obviously when no one's home). The best way to learn something is actually to explain it to someone else. Either sit in front of the mirror or get someone who's doing the same course as you and explain it out loud.
Reply 6
I think reading aloud can be really helpful - especially when moving. When I used to take languages I would recite my vocabulary whilst walking around the room or sometimes doing actions. Other than just languages, you could could chose a chapter or part of your subject or a theory or something you want to revise etc and explain it aloud to yourself. That way you really have to thinking about what you're saying - I've heard that explaining something makes people remember and understand it better. If you have any siblings or parents that will listen to you explain volcano formation or whatever, then ramble at them!
Reply 7
I type up my notes and then make up questions after :P
Rote memorisation.
Original post by ConfusedBCOfMods
Püt dïčk ìñ ŷöûr møūth

My favourite way to revise :flutter:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
My favourite way to revise :flutter:

Šhüt úp bïtçh
Have a Vardy Party!
Original post by ConfusedBCOfMods
Šhüt úp bïtçh