The Student Room Group

International students and potential immigration changes

As an overseas applicant (Canada), with this news and the junior doctor contract imposition the UK is starting to look very unattractive.

"The BMA is fighting proposed immigration changes which aim to restrict the link between the visas given to overseas students studying at UK medical schools and the visas they then use to progress on to specialty training."

http://m.bma.org.uk/news-views-analysis/news/2016/february/overseas-students-face-training-curb
Reply 1
As a fellow international applicant, that does look very worrying as well. It'll probably be better to look for alternative routes if we really study here in the uk (USMLE, Singapore etc) and that's why I'm firming SGUL international medicine program over King's haha:biggrin: Why not study in Canada though, I would have killed for a chance for that if I'm a Canadian.

On an other note, my friend has an European passport but since he didn't live in the UK for 3 years, he's not considered as EU, anyone know if after graduating he'll be considered as "usual EU"?
(edited 8 years ago)
Not great news if your an img and wanted to go into a competitive speciality. One option to consider is applying for Long Residence after 10 years. This is Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence) and will mean you don't have restrictions on your specialty applications.

For instance if you completed a 6 year degree, 2 years foundation and 2 years core surgical training you would quality for Long Residence and you can apply via same day service at the Home office premium service centres now for Long residence. Just try to reduce the number of days outside the UK such as in the summer months. For those on a 5 year degree they could do an mphil or extra year of core training if possible to get to the 10 year mark.

I hope this helps create some ideas for those affected.
Actually the above plan will only work up to the end of Foundation Training. So that means Imgs need to fill 2-3 years to qualify for permanent residence. By that time they would probably have lost interest or moved on plus the waste of sitting in limbo for a few years while waiting to be eligible to apply for the specialty post. Waiting a few years may also make them less competitive. Hopefully something gets resolved with the BMA, MAC and Home Office. Possibly a sly way to force some people into GP.
Reply 4
Original post by Skytravel
Actually the above plan will only work up to the end of Foundation Training. So that means Imgs need to fill 2-3 years to qualify for permanent residence. By that time they would probably have lost interest or moved on plus the waste of sitting in limbo for a few years while waiting to be eligible to apply for the specialty post. Waiting a few years may also make them less competitive. Hopefully something gets resolved with the BMA, MAC and Home Office. Possibly a sly way to force some people into GP.

So pretty much to eff us up:redface: great..
Original post by axccl389
Why not study in Canada though, I would have killed for a chance for that if I'm a Canadian.

Canada's medical system is based on a postgraduate degree.

Also, I'm not sure if the dispute between Ontario's OHIP and the Ontario Medical Association dispute is still ongoing.

So if you did GCSEs and A-Levels in the UK, plus 6 years of med school and 2 years of foundation, you ought to be able to quality for the ILR, I suppose.
Do you know of any medical professional who has done this?
Original post by Captain Ahab
So if you did GCSEs and A-Levels in the UK, plus 6 years of med school and 2 years of foundation, you ought to be able to quality for the ILR, I suppose.
Do you know of any medical professional who has done this?

Yes I know of some current doctors who have came here for high school and obtained Long Residence after 10 years. That is a good point you make so anyone who did GCSEs and A-levels will have 10 years before they finish Foundation training and will have no problems going into speciality positions with regards to immigration.
Yes I know of some current doctors who have came here for high school and obtained Long Residence after 10 years. That is a good point you make so anyone who did GCSEs and A-levels will have 10 years before they finish Foundation training and will have no problems going into speciality positions with regards to immigration.

So you're sure that with Long Residence IMGs can practice as all other doctors? Do you have any websites with these information? I couldn't find any that's useful..

Thanks, dude!
to be frank, policies change all the time and this is just a recommendation.

i suggest getting through med school first. :smile:
Original post by Jckc123
to be frank, policies change all the time and this is just a recommendation.

i suggest getting through med school first. :smile:

Thanks for your advices but that sounds kinda risky tbh...in the most unfortunate circumstances, medicine doesn't offer the most diverse career paths especially if someone is set on being a doctor. 5/6 years is not a short period of time so personally I'd say do as much research as possible or take a gap year to solve something out:smile: one year is nothing compared to 5/6 years, and assuming everything will be okay is quite a dangerous mindset...
Original post by frankie107
Thanks for your advices but that sounds kinda risky tbh...in the most unfortunate circumstances, medicine doesn't offer the most diverse career paths especially if someone is set on being a doctor. 5/6 years is not a short period of time so personally I'd say do as much research as possible or take a gap year to solve something out:smile: one year is nothing compared to 5/6 years, and assuming everything will be okay is quite a dangerous mindset...

i think if you have the mindset of becoming a doctor, no obstacles can really hinder you. :wink:
There are plenty of opportunities as well to do research or even take a gap year if you wish after medical school if you feel you need the time off.
Nothing is really guaranteed nowadays and sometimes we just have to grab any opportunity we have haha.
Original post by Jckc123
i think if you have the mindset of becoming a doctor, no obstacles can really hinder you. :wink:
There are plenty of opportunities as well to do research or even take a gap year if you wish after medical school if you feel you need the time off.
Nothing is really guaranteed nowadays and sometimes we just have to grab any opportunity we have haha.

Seems like you like to live dangerously and we have different philosophies.:u: But I don't mean taking time off but looking at other regions/courses (like IMU or Australian ones-Sydney, UNSW, Monash all look quite good). Anyways I'm personally quite likely to take a gap year as well so good luck with your studies:biggrin:
Original post by frankie107
Seems like you like to live dangerously and we have different philosophies.:u: But I don't mean taking time off but looking at other regions/courses (like IMU or Australian ones-Sydney, UNSW, Monash all look quite good). Anyways I'm personally quite likely to take a gap year as well so good luck with your studies:biggrin:

i guess so haha.
for australia, it depends how financially well you are since its way costly compared to UK and most aussie unis require a degree beforehand as well. the umat is not as easy to get a good score compared to ukcat imo. hmm

i agree with gap years since it lets you consider lots of options.
same to you for your studies. :smile:
Reply 15
Quite concerned about this, hopefully this is not implemented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Quite worried, tbh it's quite a bad idea if UK decides to implement it, hopefully they will get back to their senses and won't implement such a thing.
On another topic, Brexit would be a good thing not only for the people of UK, but for graduates of uk medical schools as well. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending