The Student Room Group

cheating on ISAs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brada033
What exactly are you classing here as 'cheating'? I've now done 2 out of three ISAs (and will soon be doing my last) and in both of them my two separate teachers have written on the board the information that wasn't really relevant, then said, and only said what we were allowed to write on our candidate sheets as they were 'not allowed to write it down'. They then showed us all the necessary things we needed to know for the exam on a slide show, and we wrote them down on separate sheets of paper to take home and revise from. Are you saying this is cheating?

In saying that, I saw multiple people around me cheating in my physics ISA (I wasn't paying attention in biology,as I was trying not to panic) - and by that i mean ACTUAL cheating: using phones or reading answers from pieces of paper etc. I believe that they are ridiculously easy to cheat on, although I personally never would.

The teachers told me what to write and in some instances even wrote points on a separate piece of paper to copy onto the ISA. While we were doing the ISA the slideshow was on for what was needed to achieve full marks in each individual questions. I did not have to do revision at all for all three of my ISA's but I don't class that as cheating. The teachers are allowed to help students according to the board.
Original post by Tinka99
The teachers told me what to write and in some instances even wrote points on a separate piece of paper to copy onto the ISA. While we were doing the ISA the slideshow was on for what was needed to achieve full marks in each individual questions. I did not have to do revision at all for all three of my ISA's but I don't class that as cheating. The teachers are allowed to help students according to the board.

Original post by surina16

What have you posted a picture of Jennifer Lawrence?
Original post by Tinka99

We had something a little like that but we most definitely did not have the slide up while we were taking the exam. I think my teachers would have classed that as cheating, but I guess its up to the teacher and the exam board (I don't know the exam board rules).

I did somehow manage an A* in biology just because I went home, made flash cards, and revised it. I don't know my physics score yet but I did the exact same thing so I'm hoping for an A* as well.
Original post by Tinka99
What have you posted a picture of Jennifer Lawrence?

why*
And do you not understand sarcastic gifs? Oh dear...
We had something a little like that but we most definitely did not have the slide up while we were taking the exam. I think my teachers would have classed that as cheating, but I guess its up to the teacher and the exam board (I don't know the exam board rules).

I did somehow manage an A* in biology just because I went home, made flash cards, and revised it. I don't know my physics score yet but I did the exact same thing so I'm hoping for an A* as well.

well done for the A*
well done for the A*

Thank you :biggrin:

I do AQA what about you? Did you have to do the exam in a set time? We were allowed to take how much time we want.
why*
And do you not understand sarcastic gifs? Oh dear...

I can understand words but seeing through pictures and sometimes expressions are difficult for me to grasp.
Original post by Tinka99
I do AQA what about you? Did you have to do the exam in a set time? We were allowed to take how much time we want.

I had AQA as well. Really? I was only allowed 45 minutes for each paper, which I think was probably an appropriate length. Do you do double or triple science?
Original post by PLL+GG28
They did what everyone else was doing, you've got to play the game when it comes to exams. Sadly exams are designed in a way meaning that everyone learns the exam, and not the subject.

But how does one really cheat in an ISA? Aren't the questions basically the same every year?

I believe yes, the questions are very similar each year, but in one of my ISAs I saw people looking up answers on their phones in the exam (as if it's too hard to just revise the exam guys!)
Original post by PLL+GG28
They did what everyone else was doing, you've got to play the game when it comes to exams. Sadly exams are designed in a way meaning that everyone learns the exam, and not the subject.

But how does one really cheat in an ISA? Aren't the questions basically the same every year?

If you read the posts above:
- there was no time limit
- teacher took in draft answers and corrected them
- there was a powerpoint whilst it was taking place telling them what to write
@Tinka99 (@brada033)
if you read this:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/support/pdf/AQA-SCIENCE-CONTROLLED-ASSESSMENT-LEAFLET.PDF

you'll find there was a 45 minute time-limit and lots of the things you mentioned happened were against the rules.
I had AQA as well. Really? I was only allowed 45 minutes for each paper, which I think was probably an appropriate length. Do you do double or triple science?

I do triple science but the ISA papers were additional science papers. We all completed the paper at our leisure slowly.
@Tinka99 (@brada033)
if you read this:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/support/pdf/AQA-SCIENCE-CONTROLLED-ASSESSMENT-LEAFLET.PDF

you'll find there was a 45 minute time-limit and lots of the things you mentioned happened were against the rules.

I have had enough of you just leave me alone.
If you read the posts above:
- there was no time limit
- teacher took in draft answers and corrected them
- there was a powerpoint whilst it was taking place telling them what to write

Yh I deleted my comment since it posted too late.

Wow didn't realise people cheated to that extent. That doesn't sound fair at all for the schools that have to actually follow the rules. I'm pretty sure most coursework is getting scrapped for the new course. I guess that's a good thing because there was way too much cheating involved.
Original post by Tinka99
I do triple science but the ISA papers were additional science papers. We all completed the paper at our leisure slowly.

Oh yes I was the same but I had the time limit
I believe yes, the questions are very similar each year, but in one of my ISAs I saw people looking up answers on their phones in the exam (as if it's too hard to just revise the exam guys!)

:eek: woww phones in an exam, tut tut. Some people are just too lazy
Original post by Tinka99
I have had enough of you just leave me alone.

You realised that you and your school violated all of the rules and have nothing to say. I think it's fair to say that your arguments are weak.
@Tinka99 (@brada033)
if you read this:

As much as I would like to read this, my laptop is being stupidly slow at the moment, and so it would be rather painful (I have tried I might add). Either way there is not much that any of us can do now as we have done the ISAs and got our results regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest