The Student Room Group

Alternatives to UNIQ Summer School

I am in year 13, have applied to uni this year and have been given condition offers to study biomed this coming september.

However, I am in doubt as to whether I actually want to study biomed or take a gap and apply for medicine. Therefore, I want to apply to a few summer schools to provide me with an experience of biomed/medicine courses and see whether I enjoy them.

I am not eligible for the UNIQ summer school as I am not in year 12:frown:
I wish I had been told about it last year and I would have applied then!!

Can anyone offer any alternatives that I am eligible for????

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by 32908
I am in year 13, have applied to uni this year and have been given condition offers to study biomed this coming september.

However, I am in doubt as to whether I actually want to study biomed or take a gap and apply for medicine. Therefore, I want to apply to a few summer schools to provide me with an experience of biomed/medicine courses and see whether I enjoy them.

I am not eligible for the UNIQ summer school as I am not in year 12:frown:
I wish I had been told about it last year and I would have applied then!!

Can anyone offer any alternatives that I am eligible for????

Thanks!!

Don't think there is anything. I would take a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
Don't think there is anything. I would take a gap year.

but even then, I still cant apply for any summer schools because I am too old... and i really want to do one!
Reply 3
I'm in Year 12 and have thought about the scenario which you're currently in. I would strongly advise you to do a gap year, because undergraduate medicine is far easier to get into than graduate medicine. I know many junior doctors that took a gap year to do: work experience, become a "Health Care Assistant", volunteering (doesn't have to be volunteering abroad), and having more time to prepare for those all important admission exams. It also depends on what you get at A-Level in the summer. If you get very high grade (e.g. 3A/A*s), then it is definitely worth taking a gap year. Which subjects do you do at A2 ?? I'm guessing biology, chemistry and maths. There aren't really any alternative summer schools for Year 13 students from what I've seen. Hope this helps a bit
Hey, I'd also advise the gap year option - if you can get good grades this summer you could end up with unconditional offers next year, plus you have a while extra year for work experience which can only help your application :smile:

Your right in thinking there aren't many summer schools since your now in year 12, but if your interested in other opportunities (and possibly summer schools, but I can't think of any off the top of my head) have a look at my website - www.stemboost.co.uk, there's a database section where you can search for various things including a few medicine and biomedicine/ biology related opportunities :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Adam2016
I'm in Year 12 and have thought about the scenario which you're currently in. I would strongly advise you to do a gap year, because undergraduate medicine is far easier to get into than graduate medicine. I know many junior doctors that took a gap year to do: work experience, become a "Health Care Assistant", volunteering (doesn't have to be volunteering abroad), and having more time to prepare for those all important admission exams. It also depends on what you get at A-Level in the summer. If you get very high grade (e.g. 3A/A*s), then it is definitely worth taking a gap year. Which subjects do you do at A2 ?? I'm guessing biology, chemistry and maths. There aren't really any alternative summer schools for Year 13 students from what I've seen. Hope this helps a bit

I am taking bio, chem and maths! There are so many things which really make a horrendous candidate for medicine though so I think my chances are slim so I may as well go do biomed... I had to retake the 1st year of college due to mitigating circumstances and even with retaking the year, my AS grades were only AAB. I didn't do any AS'. I don't have any work experience to write about and doubt I will do any my the deadline in Octobers as its so hard to organise and I am just focusing on the exams atm! :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Hey, I'd also advise the gap year option - if you can get good grades this summer you could end up with unconditional offers next year, plus you have a while extra year for work experience which can only help your application :smile:

Your right in thinking there aren't many summer schools since your now in year 12, but if your interested in other opportunities (and possibly summer schools, but I can't think of any off the top of my head) have a look at my website - www.stemboost.co.uk, there's a database section where you can search for various things including a few medicine and biomedicine/ biology related opportunities :smile:

Thank you, I will take a look !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending