The Student Room Group

cheating on ISAs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Spec has changed hun dw :smile:

Wait, are they not part of the reformed A-levels?? :confused:
I am sick of this discussion now I really want to end it I am sick to death of hearing right and right. By "it is right" I meant it is right that my school actually did this deed that was not needed. I never knew any rules I just did as my teachers said and I am sorry if that hurts anyone.
My teacher let me redo mine at least 3 times.

Teachers are there to help you... 'Hint hint' sometimes cheat.
Original post by Tinka99
I am sick of this discussion now I really want to end it I am sick to death of hearing right and right. By "it is right" I meant it is right that my school actually did this deed that was not needed. I never knew any rules I just did as my teachers said and I am sorry if that hurts anyone.

But breaking the rules is wrong, it's unfair on those who don't cheat and thus they suffer for not doing something wrong. I don't understand your rationale. Fair enough if you didn't know, it's not your fault and there's not a lot you can do about it now except report your school for allowing cheating. My sixth form was very strict on cheating so it was unheard of. It doesn't change the fact that your school was in the wrong though
I can't be bothered to report my school and risk losing my A*AA and I only have 3 months till the exams so I better get revising. I accept was was happened was not right but it can't be changed now so that's the end of it.
Same, I'm never like this but cheating just makes me so mad - I just think it's so unfair on everybody else.
I presume that these schools let them cheat in all of their other controlled assessments as well which really bugs me because my teachers never went a minute over the time limit meaning you have to compromise the quality of your work :/
Original post by surina16
Do the threads asking for the ISA answers get banned on TSR or do the posts at least get deleted by mods?

Yes - we will not allow cheating on ISAs or any sort of coursework. The Community Team and Study Help Support Team try to remove as many ISA cheating threads as we can but given the sheer volume of them, it can be difficult to keep on top of them. If you do see any threads or posts where people are trying to cheat, report them and hopefully someone should be able to deal with it.

In terms of the ISA cheating situation in general, having done many ISAs myself a few years ago now, I do understand the frustration associated with it. It is a very unfair way to test things IMO and there will be teachers who'll breach the rules a little so that their students can do well in it. It is annoying, but I'd suggest focussing your energy on revising for your other exams instead of worrying too much about that. :smile:
Doesn't everyone cheat anyway? My teachers did for GCSE physics and Chemistry ISAs, they also gave us months to do the controlled assessments for English. I had to rub out my 'line of best fit' so many times.
My high school and college have always been very strict when it comes to controlled assessments, we had a very strict controlled assessment marker who gave everyone C/Ds which pulled down their overall exam grade for GCSE. Only the people who came in every day in Easter to work on the controlled assesments ( we werent allowed to take it home, some neighboring schools did, and you couldnt use the computer because there was no way of controlling if we would take it home by saving it on a memory stick or something) got the good grades. I like the fact my high school was extremely strict as it made the students really work for their grades and exams.
I didnt cheat and I got 48/50 on my chemistry ISA
Original post by usycool1
Yes - we will not allow cheating on ISAs or any sort of coursework. The Community Team and Study Help Support Team try to remove as many ISA cheating threads as we can but given the sheer volume of them, it can be difficult to keep on top of them. If you do see any threads or posts where people are trying to cheat, report them and hopefully someone should be able to deal with it.

In terms of the ISA cheating situation in general, having done many ISAs myself a few years ago now, I do understand the frustration associated with it. It is a very unfair way to test things IMO and there will be teachers who'll breach the rules a little so that their students can do well in it. It is annoying, but I'd suggest focussing your energy on revising for your other exams instead of worrying too much about that. :smile:

this is simply not true. a month or two ago i reported someone for cheating, and it was me who got the warning!!!
Original post by john2054
this is simply not true. a month or two ago i reported someone for cheating, and it was me who got the warning!!!

Take it up in Ask The Community Team then. If what you're saying is true, it shouldn't have happened and they'll look into it for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Our teachers never let us cheat on those. I always got fed up with them so hardly put in any effort :biggrin: Luckily my exams made up for it.
People were cheating??? I put so much hard work and effort into my Biology ISA and managed a B, my teacher was great but she didn't help anyone to cheat and she kept all help to a minimum as well as making sure the ISA was done under strict exam conditions... Now I feel like I missed out... But everyone managed decent grades so I guess it all worked out... Still though, I'd have loved to have given it another shot...
Reply 94
I like it
Some teachers in our school would "just leave some notes on the board for the next class", which would be stuff like "dependent variable = y, independent = x". They weren't explicit answers but just stuff that would help. We never got any help with the application questions. My sixth form was really strict about EMPAs e.g. no discussion with teachers, no discussion in class etc., but people would exchange information about them all the time outside of classes. Personally, I didn't give or ask for information, because I didn't think it was fair, but it definitely happened. Then again, I was too focused on my own A level to care what other people were doing.

I'm at university studying Biology now so ISAs are a distant memory :u:

Quick Reply

Latest