The Student Room Group

Deleted

Poll

Which University?

Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
You won't get two degrees in three years. If you do a FdA and then 'top up' into a BA (Hons), the FdA ceases to exist, it becomes part of the BA. I think I'd choose Camberwell because it appears to offer the better course, and that's what matters most.
Original post by Ashley Robertson
I have received an offer from all five of my university choices. I've rejected three but i am undecided as to which of the remaining two universities would be a better choice for me.

-

University: University for the Arts London: Camberwell College of Art
Course Title: FdA Graphic Design
Duration: 2 Years

Pros:

Conditional offer but I only have to achieve passes (CCC or PPP)

Opportunity to gain 2 degrees within 3 years by transitioning to the BA (Hons) Degree in the third year.

Close to the best museums, exhibitions, galleries, art hot spots, etc.

Small class sizes (15 students last year)

Award winning students

Fantastic facilitates, industry contacts and tutors

UAL in arguably the best place in the UK and even in Europe to study art & design subjects.

Cons:

Bad area of South London

I would need to present my final project to the BA (Hons) Degree tutors and achieve a Merit (Grade B) on the FdA course in order to be accepted on the course.

I may have to move location and university to achieve the BA (Hons) Degree if i fail to achieve what is needed.

UAL want an up front accommodation fee of £510

Accommodation might be expensive if i don't get student halls and have to go private in central London.

-

University: University of the Creative Arts: Epsom Campus
Course Title: BA (Hons) Graphic Design
Duration: 3 Years

Pros:

Unconditional offer

Epsom is small, can't get distracted from the course

Some students have gone on to study at The Royal College of Art

Offer MA Graphic Design

Good train and bus services into London.

Cons:

Do not offer an FdA Degree in Graphic Design

Below Average student halls (only one with en-suits)

Limited facilitates, I've heard its a struggle to get certain things throughout the term because other students are using it

Course leader is quite young, only graduated in 2005 (or around then)

-

These are MY pros and cons and are what I WOULD choose my university based on. YOURS may be completely different. I want to get a range of opinions, though. Which university would you choose?

Second one.
1. It's better to get straight on to the BA instead of the Fd.
2. Apply for ensuite early. You have an unconditional, so you can apply now. (Once accepted)
3. This is hearsay. Visit the uni yourself and decide for yourself. Don't rely on other people's comments.
4. I fail to see how this is a bad thing? 2005 was 11 years ago...
The pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.
Epsom is only a train ride from south london. You can still visit the art museums and exhibitions
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Second one.
1. It's better to get straight on to the BA instead of the Fd.

No it isn't, makes no difference.
Original post by Snufkin
No it isn't, makes no difference.

It does make a difference. It's not guaranteed that you'll be accepted on to the top up course if you do a Fd
It does make a difference. It's not guaranteed that you'll be accepted on to the top up course if you do a Fd

It does not make a difference. There is no guarantee the OP would pass years 1 and 2 of the Epsom BA. If they get a merit on the FdA they have a good chance of being allowed to transfer onto the BA.
Original post by Snufkin
It does not make a difference. There is no guarantee the OP would pass years 1 and 2 of the Epsom BA. If they get a merit on the FdA they have a good chance of being allowed to transfer onto the BA.

As long as you finish with a pass in each year of the BA, it is guarenteed that you will continue. Even if you pass and do well with a Fd, it's not guaranteed that you'll get be able to successfully transfer to the BA. If there are limited spaces, you'd have to go to another uni to do the top up and there could still be a waiting list of some kind.
As long as you finish with a pass in each year of the BA, it is guarenteed that you will continue. Even if you pass and do well with a Fd, it's not guaranteed that you'll get be able to successfully transfer to the BA. If there are limited spaces, you'd have to go to another uni to do the top up and there could still be a waiting list of some kind.

These are unlikely scenarios. The OP should ask Camberwell how many FdA students who get a merit are not given a place on the BA before they make any decisions.
Original post by Snufkin
These are unlikely scenarios. The OP should ask Camberwell how many FdA students who get a merit are not given a place on the BA before they make any decisions.

Unlikely, but possible. If she's been offered to do the BA, logic dictates she should go for that. Foundation courses are intended for those who do not have the traditional requirements, well she has the requirements..
Even if she got that information from the uni, it could change. There may be more people staying on the BA degree and if there are no spaces for anyone else, she won't be accepted. She has the opportunity to be one of those BA degree students, so she needn't worry about limited spacing or reapplying. Even if she was offered the chance of a top-up at her current uni, she may still have to endure a similar process of reapplying if most of the Fd students want to continue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending