The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Hey guys!

Im currently a year 11 pupil and I have to submit my A Level choices by the 24th. I have been thinking long and hard. I am looking to do a business related degree at a russell group university such as Bath, Exeter and Durham. All courses are incredibly competitive to get in. One thing that really frustrates me is the term 'desireable subject'. Especially when the university does not specify what they mean by that. Bath did publish a list of 'desirable subjects' but said they wanted traditional A-Levels. Honestly it's all very confusing. And It would be much easier if the university's published lists such as Cambridge.

I am currently looking to do:

Biology
Psychology
Economics - Possibly Business however viering towards economics.

Would I be able to get an offer based of these A Levels At these universities? I was surprised to learn that Economics is not a traditional subject but from my understanding it carries more weight. However I feel that I may perform better in Business. In IGCSE I am expecting to achieve all A's And A*'s I really don't want to be limited by my choices.

Cheers!
Maths?
Reply 2
Original post by surina16
Maths?

Maths has never been my strong subject, However i'm currently at a low B grade and I am pushing for an A in the summer. As for Maths A Level I would never consider it. Being blunt I hate the subject.
Reply 3
Have you considered doing 4 AS subjects (which people usually do). For Business I know the common subjects are:
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Business (obviously)
- Economics
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry

The bottom two subjects would give your application an "edge" as they're particularly difficult.
Reply 4
Original post by Adam2016
Have you considered doing 4 AS subjects (which people usually do). For Business I know the common subjects are:
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Business (obviously)
- Economics
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry

The bottom two subjects would give your application an "edge" as they're particularly difficult.

Thanks for the reply!

My school are no longer do AS. Just a two year course for A2 as they have reformed the A Levels. It's annoying because I would have liked to of done 4 and dropped one after a year.
Reply 5
It's more the question of wether I would be likely to get a offer with those three subjects
Original post by TRAnders
Hey guys!

Im currently a year 11 pupil and I have to submit my A Level choices by the 24th. I have been thinking long and hard. I am looking to do a business related degree at a russell group university such as Bath, Exeter and Durham. All courses are incredibly competitive to get in. One thing that really frustrates me is the term 'desireable subject'. Especially when the university does not specify what they mean by that. Bath did publish a list of 'desirable subjects' but said they wanted traditional A-Levels. Honestly it's all very confusing. And It would be much easier if the university's published lists such as Cambridge.

I am currently looking to do:

Biology
Psychology
Economics - Possibly Business however viering towards economics.

Would I be able to get an offer based of these A Levels At these universities? I was surprised to learn that Economics is not a traditional subject but from my understanding it carries more weight. However I feel that I may perform better in Business. In IGCSE I am expecting to achieve all A's And A*'s I really don't want to be limited by my choices.

Cheers!

Bath isn't a Russell group - but it is like the top uni for business.
You have fine options. Business school's don't tend to specify subjects.
You don't need maths to do your course. One of my friends has all her offers including one from Bath and her subjects are not business/maths related at all - no maths, economics or business A level.
I'd say do Economics A level rather than Business as it is a more respected A level, other than that your options are fine.
Reply 7
Original post by tcameron
Bath isn't a Russell group - but it is like the top uni for business.
You have fine options. Business school's don't tend to specify subjects.
You don't need maths to do your course. One of my friends has all her offers including one from Bath and her subjects are not business/maths related at all - no maths, economics or business A level.
I'd say do Economics A level rather than Business as it is a more respected A level, other than that your options are fine.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :smile: I'm feeling more confident about these choices

Cheers!

Quick Reply