The Student Room Group

Reue's Making Money Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
They don't take a cut. I've paid them to write content for me, so all they get is that initial payment.

Oh crikey. What's the going rate to get someone to write a book for you? Snufkin: an Authorised Biography would sell well I think, if only I could be bothered to write it.
Reply 41
Original post by Snufkin
Oh crikey. What's the going rate to get someone to write a book for you? Snufkin: an Authorised Biography would sell well I think, if only I could be bothered to write it.

Standard rate is $10 per 1000 words. I have a guy who does it considerably cheaper than that though.
Original post by Reue
Standard rate is $10 per 1000 words. I have a guy who does it considerably cheaper than that though.

Good lord, they must either be unbelievably fast writers or be desperate. It'd take me ages to come up with 1k words of coherent content.
Reply 43
Original post by Snufkin
Good lord, they must either be unbelievably fast writers or be desperate. It'd take me ages to come up with 1k words of coherent content.

I suspect it's a combination of both.

Typically the buyer will give you a full breakdown of what content they want in the book, all the headings and a general gist of content.

I believe fiction writers are much more expensive but I don't produce fiction books so havnt had any involvement.
Original post by Snufkin

Yeah one of my friends is a writer, the biggest problem she has is finding the courage to increase her rates with existing customers and not being beat by cheaper competition and trying to find a middle ground between charging a decent amount for her to live on and still being at a competitive rate. She really struggles and a lot of it is desperation.
Reply 45
Original post by SophieSmall
Yeah one of my friends is a writer, the biggest problem she has is finding the courage to increase her rates with existing customers and not being beat by cheaper competition and trying to find a middle ground between charging a decent amount for her to live on and still being at a competitive rate. She really struggles and a lot of it is desperation.

Why doesnt she self publish?
Original post by Reue
Why doesnt she self publish?

She does self publish some stuff, but she isn't having much luck with it.
Original post by Reue
Jog on LittleSophie

:frown: k.

You should have offered him nudes, as an incentive.
Original post by lustawny

Nah.
Nah.

How badly do you want to make money here? :hmmm:
How badly do you want to make money here? :hmmm:

Not very.
Not very.

Evidently.
Reply 52

:moon:
Original post by Reue
January income:

Matched betting - £932
Kindle publishing - £676
Coaching - £0

Total - £1608

£932????? Are you using multiple accounts or something? How many bookmakers have you signed up to? You must be getting so much spam mail though.
Reply 54
Original post by Trapz99
£932????? Are you using multiple accounts or something? How many bookmakers have you signed up to? You must be getting so much spam mail though.

No, single set of accounts. Signed up to about 20 bookmakers but 80% of my profit comes from just 3 of them.
Original post by Reue
No, single set of accounts. Signed up to about 20 bookmakers but 80% of my profit comes from just 3 of them.

Thanks. How many hours in a month do you roughly spend doing this matched betting stuff?
Reply 56
Original post by Trapz99
Thanks. How many hours in a month do you roughly spend doing this matched betting stuff?

No idea, I've usually got things running whilst doing other stuff.

For instance right now I've got £100 worth of bets waiting to be matched but its just a case of keeping an eye on it so I can react when they do.
Reply 57
Just published my first book in a totally new genre yesterday. This will be the first one I'll invest some money into promotion so will be interesting to see what sort of returns it gives.

Matched betting is going sloooooowly this month.

3rd Matched Betting Coaching customer starts tonight!
How long do Kindle pieces have to be or can they be in order to make a profit?
Reply 59
Original post by JackEDeakin
How long do Kindle pieces have to be or can they be in order to make a profit?

I think I can answer that.

Not because I have written any but because I have purchased many utterly useless kindle books.

You can get away with as little as 20 pages.Or even less come to think of it.And 20 pages of uninformative ,repeatitive nonsense.

NB I'm in no way suggesting that Reue writes such books.Certainly not.

I'm merely pointing out that so long as you have an attention grabbing title you can probably get some business.

The genre that I buy is all gambling related.

I do it for research purposes -can't say any more than that-and I would say that betting books are a relatively easy way to enter the kindle publishing market.

You certainly would be hard pressed to do worse than what's currently available.*

Anyway I'd definitely buy it.Put me down for your first copy and I will even write a review!:smile:

*Of course there are exceptions to this and I was lucky enough to discover the greatest gambling related book I've ever read on kindle for the sum of just £2.

It's by an unhappy,very unlucky-in-love schoolteacher come semi-pro gambler and is called 'Horse Racing is not about Horse Racing'

A GEM of a book. However I believe it costs more than £2 nowadays.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply