The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unihelp007
kings is so heavy on LNAT, I got A* in literature A* in philosophy and an A in law, but got 21 on the LNAT and they have rejected me

sorry to hear that. I heard KCL are quite strict. I think someone on TSR got 29 and got an offer from them yesterday. What are your other options?
Original post by xAssassin786
sorry to hear that. I heard KCL are quite strict. I think someone on TSR got 29 and got an offer from them yesterday. What are your other options?

That's okay as the main one I want one is Nottingham, I haven't heard from them or Bristol yet but have an offer from the queen Mary. Not sure whether queen Mary is a good university to go for though if I do not get into the others
That's okay as the main one I want one is Nottingham, I haven't heard from them or Bristol yet but have an offer from the queen Mary. Not sure whether queen Mary is a good university to go for though if I do not get into the others

I'm hopefully going to Birmingham. I haven't heard back from Nottingham too yet. And wow A* in literature. That's amazing. I do literature and I am on a A. What exam board and syllabus are you doing?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm hopefully going to Birmingham. I haven't heard back from Nottingham too yet. And wow A* in literature. That's amazing. I do literature and I am on a A. What exam board and syllabus are you doing?

I finished my a levels last year so I can't actually remember, I think it was OCR? The exam was on Shakespeare and william Blake if that is relevant haha
rejection from lse and offer from king's for PPL both today. offers from durham, QM, ucl and king's now
I finished my a levels last year so I can't actually remember, I think it was OCR? The exam was on Shakespeare and william Blake if that is relevant haha

Oh right. I'm doing AQA rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
kings is so heavy on LNAT, I got A* in literature A* in philosophy and an A in law, but got 21 on the LNAT and they have rejected me

You're not wrong... It's crazy because the LNAT is so subjective!
Coursework is quite difficult. What texts are you doing for your comparative essay? To get an A in your coursework, you have to be concise with each of the assessment objectives in each paragraph. AO1 is a really big one as your argument has to be very strong. Structure has to be strong too. The way I structure my paragraphs is:

Presenting the point- what is your first viewpoint in the argument?
Evidence- Use many quotes from your texts and how does the writer present this? Use language, form and structure to do this.
Analyse or evaluate that quote/s by narrowing down the quote to phrases. What interpretations could you form from these phrases?
Use additional quotes to support your point and analyse them.

I'll give you an example of a Frankenstein essay I did and I got 25/30. Here half of it: First paragraph is introduction:

Suffering is a key theme in gothic novels. Suffering has been portrayed throughout Frankenstein. The creature is, by far, the character that had suffered the most throughout the novel. Abandoned by Frankenstein post creation, Shelley characterises creature as almost human-like, comparing him to a lost infant without a nurturing parent to protect them. Through his actions and dialogues, Shelley evokes sympathy within the creature, making the readers understand that his suffering of isolation is undeserved. Contextually, in the past, including the Victorian times, those who were seen as 'abnormal' or 'subhuman' were sent to mental asylums because they needed to be secluded from the 'healthy society'. Similarly, the creature is abandoned by Frankenstein due to be viewed as a abomination. Also, the encounter with villagers and their reaction was attacking him, forcing him into isolation; he was viewed as 'dangerous' again by the 'healthy society'. However, his creator, Frankenstein deserves the suffering due to his similarities with Judas and how Judas betrayed Jesus(Justine). Mary Shelley also creates this idea or theme that the creator is as bad as their creation- the actions of the parent figure would be mimicked by their child. Therefore, it seemly explores the theme of deprivation and isolation where the creature is neglected by Frankenstein.
The suffering of the creature is undeserved as Shelley characterises and creates the impression that the creature is like an infant- exploring the environment and not resisting to temptations. For example, in Volume 2 Chapter 3, the creatures discovers fire- " I quickly collected some branches; but they were wet and would not burn. I was pained at this." Overall, looking at the creature's discovery of fire, it shows the creature exploring the world and it's environment. The same way, an infant is brought on the world and explores the world to grow up and develop into a human being. Contextually, in psychology according to Mary Ainsworth, infants who use their mothers as a safe base for exploring their environment, are those who have secure attachments with their mothers, as they are quite close to their mother and are afraid without their mother. Ainsworth stated that those who infants who are insecure avoidant explore the environment without the presence of their mother- not forming a strong secure attachment with their mother. Similarly, the creature would be classified as insecure avoidant as he never formed an attachment with Frankenstein- this is called privation. This creates sympathy for the creature as he is like an insecure infant without a 'mother' to protect him-' I was pained at this.'-This creates an impression that he has no love or comfort by anyone- nobody to soothe is pain and prevent any harm coming to him.Looking at the concept of fire- fire symbolises many aspects and themes. The main theme is that fire is dangerous. Fire is lively, colourful and full of warmth- but a slight touch from it and it could burn a person-' I was pained at this.' The creature is portrayed as an infant by Shelley. Like an infant, the creature had this temptation to feel and play with the fire- which was dangerous. Like an infant, the creature is tempted to play with the fire without knowing the danger. In my opinion, the fire represents the dangerous and corrupt society- the outside world of the humans. Shelley might of used this discovery of fire as microcosm. The fire is the corrupt and dangerous society. The creature is the infant exploring the dangerous and corrupt society. Like infants, the creature is exploring the environment and is therefore vulnerable to harm. Without a 'mother' to protect them, the suffering of the creature is undeserved because as an infant, it is helpless but to enter this dangerous society and survive, facing all pains.

AO2: Language, form and structure- language techniques such as hyperbolic or metaphorical language. Form- E.G. Frankenstein is kind of like a epistolary novel- novel formed by letters and diary entries- it helps the reader have the insight of different perspectives. We have multiple narrators. I remember a question saying that good and evil is not clear in Frankenstein. Due to multiple narrators, we have biased perspectives- is Victor evil or is the monster evil? Structure- Bronte uses cyclical repetition- she doubles the plot devices- e.g. Frankenstein's scientific exploration and Walton's scientific exploration.
Critical readings is also good. If you want a high grade in your coursework, use viewpoints of critics that have commented on your texts. It is really useful and you should reference them too.
Ao3- you asked about how to reference paintings. Research the nightmare and see what does the painting symbolise. The link I made is that the painting links to Elizabeth's death in Frankenstein.
A04- Refer to the industrial revolution, Paradise Lost, Ancient Mariner, social conventions of Victorian women etc.

Now how to memorise quotes: Don't try and memorise loads of quotes. Try and focus on key parts of the texts. Look at the past questions so you have a clear understanding of what evidence they are looking for.

Feel free to ask me any more advice. I have got loads of notes on Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein. I might be studying Macbeth next week or Dr Faustus.

Thank you so much your essay was phenomenal. I would have given it 30/30 aha, I cannot write nearly as well as that. The texts that I am doing for my comparative coursework piece is Dubliners by James Joyce (mandatory) and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. How do you comprise your notes on Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein. You said you had loads of notes, is there any websites you use or a formula that you use. Is it alright if I email you some of my coursework piece and you can proofread it and let me know where I am going wrong. My email is [email protected]
Original post by Vanessaxx98
Thank you so much your essay was phenomenal. I would have given it 30/30 aha, I cannot write nearly as well as that. The texts that I am doing for my comparative coursework piece is Dubliners by James Joyce (mandatory) and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. How do you comprise your notes on Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein. You said you had loads of notes, is there any websites you use or a formula that you use. Is it alright if I email you some of my coursework piece and you can proofread it and let me know where I am going wrong. My email is [email protected]

Yh sure and I usually makes notes from websites such as York notes and spark notes. And thanks lol she's a American teacher from New York she was quite strict hence why she gave me 25

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yh sure my email is [email protected] and I usually makes notes from websites such as York notes and spark notes. And thanks lol she's a American teacher from New York she was quite strict hence why she gave me 25

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much I have emailed you x
Opinions on KCL (A*AA) vs Nottingham (AAA) please?
Original post by CJaneH

Either is good. I'd maybe go for Notts because it's cheaper and the campus lifestyle is so much fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still waiting to hear back from Durham, this is slowly killing me :emo:
Original post by CJaneH

Personally I'd say King's if you can afford it and think you'll get the grades, it has better post-grad prospects for city firms.
Original post by Gingerbread101
Still waiting to hear back from Durham, this is slowly killing me :emo:

Maybe LSE and Durham have an ongoing competition to see who can give decisions the slowest!
Just out of curiosity - does anybody know how unis (and particularly KCL) arrange who they send offers to first? Like, I don't think it's chronological (sent mine off early Oct), I don't think it's LNAT score (I've seen people with both lower and higher scores than me get offers), and I've seen people with both lower and higher AS grades than me get offers too. Possibly alphabetical order by surname? Just wondering if anybody knew :smile:
Reply 1276
Just received my offer from Notts for AAA, was expecting A*AA offer. Has everyone else had AAA?
Reply 1277
Original post by Thuw
Just received my offer from Notts for AAA, was expecting A*AA offer. Has everyone else had AAA?

So jealous did they give you a reason?
Reply 1278
Original post by Thuw

What were your GCSEs AS and LNAT?
Reply 1279
4A*, 1B and the rest As for GCSE. AAB at AS (only did 3) and 23 on the LNAT. So nothing spectacular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending