The Student Room Group

Anyone been to Japan?

Myself and my friend are looking at going to Japan in the summer for ten days to up to 14 days; preferably Tokyo but not too fussy. Has anyone been? What were your experiences and do you have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
Myself and my friend are looking at going to Japan in the summer for ten days to up to 14 days; preferably Tokyo but not too fussy. Has anyone been? What were your experiences and do you have any advice?

OMG I am looking to go to Japan this Summer too! :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by PureBredPup
OMG I am looking to go to Japan this Summer too! :eek: :biggrin:

:smile:! It doesn't seem too expensive actually for what it is
:smile:! It doesn't seem too expensive actually for what it is

My only fear is being refused entry. :frown:
My only fear is being refused entry. :frown:

Why do think you'll be refused entry?
Original post by Bubblewrap167
Why do think you'll be refused entry?

Because I get nervous at explaining things very easily.
Because I get nervous at explaining things very easily.

Oh, I understand I'm like that too :smile:
If you're going, and for one trip only, I'd always recommend going during the cherry blossom season.
Tokyo is a very big city with lots to do, so there will be plenty to keep you occupied for 2 weeks. I'd recommend doing day trips to other nearby places like Kamakura or Mt Fuji if you can, because as interesting as Tokyo is, it's still a modern city, and being able to escape a couple of times to see a more traditional/natural side to Japan would give you a nice break! Trains are the most convenient form of transport, and central Tokyo also has a very extensive (and confusing!) subway system. Transport isn't particularly expensive unless you're travelling long distances. If you are planning on doing long distance trips to see other cities, then I'd suggest getting a JR Rail Card, as it gives you unlimited travel on all JR trains (Japanese Rail) within 1, 2 or 3 weeks. Definitely worth it considering a return to Osaka on the bullet train costs about the same as a week pass.

If you're going to Tokyo there shouldn't be too much of a problem with you not speaking Japanese, but I'd still suggest to at least learn some basic phrases because very few Japanese people speak English, even in tourist places. Summer is very hot (and humid) so be prepared for that too!

Can't really think of anything else. I live in Japan, so feel free to ask if you have any questions 😜
Reply 9
Original post by TheTechN1304
Tokyo is a very big city with lots to do, so there will be plenty to keep you occupied for 2 weeks. I'd recommend doing day trips to other nearby places like Kamakura or Mt Fuji if you can, because as interesting as Tokyo is, it's still a modern city, and being able to escape a couple of times to see a more traditional/natural side to Japan would give you a nice break! Trains are the most convenient form of transport, and central Tokyo also has a very extensive (and confusing!) subway system. Transport isn't particularly expensive unless you're travelling long distances. If you are planning on doing long distance trips to see other cities, then I'd suggest getting a JR Rail Card, as it gives you unlimited travel on all JR trains (Japanese Rail) within 1, 2 or 3 weeks. Definitely worth it considering a return to Osaka on the bullet train costs about the same as a week pass.

If you're going to Tokyo there shouldn't be too much of a problem with you not speaking Japanese, but I'd still suggest to at least learn some basic phrases because very few Japanese people speak English, even in tourist places. Summer is very hot (and humid) so be prepared for that too!

Can't really think of anything else. I live in Japan, so feel free to ask if you have any questions 😜

Thank you!
Hi there,

I did a 2 week trip to Japan with a friend last September/October, and had an absolutely amazing time! Our itinerary was Tokyo (day trips to Nikko and Fuji)-Kyoto-Koyasan-Osaka (day trip to Nara)-Miyajima (day trip to Himeji Castle on the way)-back to Tokyo (stop off in Hiroshima on the way).

They might give you some ideas of places to start looking at, but if you had any other questions then just drop me a PM :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hi there,

I did a 2 week trip to Japan with a friend last September/October, and had an absolutely amazing time! Our itinerary was Tokyo (day trips to Nikko and Fuji)-Kyoto-Koyasan-Osaka (day trip to Nara)-Miyajima (day trip to Himeji Castle on the way)-back to Tokyo (stop off in Hiroshima on the way).

They might give you some ideas of places to start looking at, but if you had any other questions then just drop me a PM :smile:

Thanks, buddy! How much did it cost you? :smile:
If you're looking to use the internet whilst there, I'd recommend getting a pre-paid SIM card from either Docomo or Softbank (The two major mobile carriers in Japan) to provide access to hotspots and 3G/4G.
Whilst Tokyo is a good place for tourists, I'd also recommend going to the smaller cities such as Osaka and Yokohama as they too offer a fun range of activities.

I found the vast majority of signs in public areas to be written in both English and Japanese, even on the less-touristy island of Kyushu, but would still recommend getting something to translate with. If you get mobile WiFi and a compatible device you can use Google Translate's camera function to scan Japanese writing into English instantly!
Reply 13
@TelAviv, @TheTechN1304, etc: what's the money situation like for a two week stay?
Thanks, buddy! How much did it cost you? :smile:

Hard to say, as I wasn't really keeping track of what I was spending. I'd say maybe around the £1500 mark including flights? Sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you!

What I would say is that I definitely spent most of my money on travel and accommodation. Eating out could be done cheaply, and most of the attractions were either free or fairly cheap. Hope that helps a bit! :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Hard to say, as I wasn't really keeping track of what I was spending. I'd say maybe around the £1500 mark including flights? Sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you!

What I would say is that I definitely spent most of my money on travel and accommodation. Eating out could be done cheaply, and most of the attractions were either free or fairly cheap. Hope that helps a bit! :tongue:

Thanks mate! Who did you fly with?
Thanks mate! Who did you fly with?

China Eastern via Shanghai. 9 hour layover on the way back was a bit annoying, but not as bad as I expected and definitely worth the cost saving! :smile:
@TelAviv, @TheTechN1304, etc: what's the money situation like for a two week stay?

I've been there on student exchanges and to visit family who live there, so I can't really comment on transportation/accommodation as I didn't directly pay for it.

In terms of food, most restaurants are reasonably priced and are similar to what you'd expect to pay in the UK. I found that fast-food franchises, however, such as McDonalds were the same price as their equivalents in the USA, so a fair bit cheaper than the UK.
Both food and drink is significantly cheaper to buy from the countless vending machines around the country and given their wide range of products, make a good substitute to an actual shop if you're on a budget.

Attractions are mostly very cheap (£5 or less) or free, with the exception of theme parks which cost around £40 in JPY.

Electronics and other 'Japanese' consumer goods are typically very expensive to buy in store, so don't go expecting to buy them cheap simply because they're developed there.

I highly recommend Airbnb if you want very cheap accomadation, you can get a room for two for less than £40/night in Tokyo and less than £15/night in the countryside. Most properties/rooms will include WiFi and some may even include food with the owner if they're around which can further save you money.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions :smile:
They're basically like well educated children. They can do a of calculations and put on a good performance but in terms of maturity and understanding anything they are desperately lacking. A huge number of even 30 year olds lack the sort of initiative skills you would find in a 15/16 y/o brit/aus/yank. They have a conformist 2D rigid mindset that stifles creativity and so naturally they have a total inability to handle a multicultural society; widespread revulsion to immigration in JP when migrant levels have rarely ever been above 1%.
Reply 19
Original post by CreepyVibez
They're basically like well educated children. They can do a of calculations and put on a good performance but in terms of maturity and understanding anything they are desperately lacking. A huge number of even 30 year olds lack the sort of initiative skills you would find in a 15/16 y/o brit/aus/yank. They have a conformist 2D rigid mindset that stifles creativity and so naturally they have a total inability to handle a multicultural society; widespread revulsion to immigration in JP when migrant levels have rarely ever been above 1%.

Why should I care about any of this information in relation to a holiday in Japan? Lmfao.

Quick Reply

Latest