The Student Room Group

Council tax help/advice

Hello guys, I'm an international student and I study A-level( currently A2). I'm receiving a council tax bill even though i'm a full time student. The letter said that as now I'm over 20 years i have to pay council tax, but when i visited the customer service the adviser said that I will not get any bills because i was under 20 when I applied for it. So I'm really confused right now Please help if u can
Original post by Doniyor95
Hello guys, I'm an international student and I study A-level( currently A2). I'm receiving a council tax bill even though i'm a full time student. The letter said that as now I'm over 20 years i have to pay council tax, but when i visited the customer service the adviser said that I will not get any bills because i was under 20 when I applied for it. So I'm really confused right now Please help if u can

Normally being a full time student of any age should make you exempt.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Normally being a full time student of any age should make you exempt.

I thought the same, but I just found out that if you study A-level and you are over 20 you will be liable for council tax
I thought the same, but I just found out that if you study A-level and you are over 20 you will be liable for council tax

That doesnt make much sense to me , especially if a university student would be exempt and they have a small income whereas a level students wont.
Reply 4
That doesnt make much sense to me , especially if a university student would be exempt and they have a small income whereas a level students wont.

Yes agree with that, even though i don't work and have no income at all here they are making me pay and not considering me as a student
Yes agree with that, even though i don't work and have no income at all here they are making me pay and not considering me as a student

Have you looked into whether they offer council tax benefits because if they are saying you arent a student, then have no income should make you eligible for that.
Reply 6
Have you looked into whether they offer council tax benefits because if they are saying you arent a student, then have no income should make you eligible for that.

I have, it says 'If your immigration permission has a 'no recourse to public funds' condition and you have claimed or tried to claim Council Tax benefit, or a 'Council Tax reduction' as defined in the Immigration Rules, this could mean that you are breaching immigration rules.'
have you provided proof that you're a full time student?
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
have you provided proof that you're a full time student?

Yes, I did get the letter from the college and brought it local council
You need to check with the Council . It isnt clear. I would visit them in person.

There isnt enough information which says if you applied to do A levels whilst under 20 that the exemption carries on till you finish the course.

You will count as a student for Council Tax purposes if you are:

(i) under 20 years old, and studying for a qualification up to or equivalent to A level or Higher Scottish Certificate of Education on a course lasting 3 months or more involving a minimum of 12 hours a week daytime study;

or

(ii) a foreign language assistant working in a school or educational institution and registered with the British Council;

or

(iii) studying and enrolled at an institution in the UK, or in another country of the European Union, on a course which:

(a) lasts at least one academic year, or one calendar year if your educational institution does not have academic years; and
(b) requires you to undertake the course for at least 24 weeks a year; and
(c) involves at least 21 hours study, classes or work experience a week during term.

If yor qualification lapses under 1, then I assume you cna qualify under 3 if you meet the requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending