The Student Room Group

First or 2.1???

I'm in my final year of accounting and finance and am currently weighing up the differences between a 1st and a 2.1.

The position I'm in now is that I have 60 credits left to complete in my degree. I need an A in 40 of those credits to get a 1st, however, I've been having a massive build up of anxiety lately and it's making me not want to do any work at all.

Will there be any difference, realistically, in my future if I get a 1st? I have a graduate job lined up already, so it's not an issue there.

I'm just concerned that I'll have wasted a great opportunity to get a fantastic result at uni, solely due to my temporary anxiety problem.

Either way I'll graduate with a good 2.1 and have a job lined up. I'm just wondering whether it's worth putting myself through hell for these next few months to graduate with a 1st? :frown::o:(
mate, everyone who goes through the uni struggles knows that its all about getting a 1st if its within your reach

if you are in a position in your final year where you can still get a 1st, work your ass off for it, unless ofcourse there are circumstances which make it much harder than its worth, but remember, you only do uni (for free) once, so make it worth it

my final year, i counted literally about 27 nights where i literally got zero sleep, i came out with a 1st and i dont regret it one bit

if anything i regret going to uni all together tbh lol
Reply 2
Original post by KungPooPanda
mate, everyone who goes through the uni struggles knows that its all about getting a 1st if its within your reach

if you are in a position in your final year where you can still get a 1st, work your ass off for it, unless ofcourse there are circumstances which make it much harder than its worth, but remember, you only do uni (for free) once, so make it worth it

my final year, i counted literally about 27 nights where i literally got zero sleep, i came out with a 1st and i dont regret it one bit

if anything i regret going to uni all together tbh lol

Do people really differentiate between a 1st and a 2.1 later on in life, though? I already have a job so it's not like I need it to boost my prospects in the short term.

I've had a 1st class GPA all throughout uni and been Dean's list every year, but my confidence has just plummeted this year and I've already messed up my dissertation. This leaves me on track for a depressingly high 2.1, unless I get 40/60 remaining credits at an A. At least 20 of which will have to come from group projects, which I've been grouped with 2.2/low 2.1 folk for :frown:.

I'm gonna hop on my coursework tomorrow morning and sort out the things I have to do for this coming week. I'm just trying to realise what the potential benefits of a 1st will be in the long term, and whether it is worth antagonising myself over for the next few months or not...
Original post by bethany426
Do people really differentiate between a 1st and a 2.1 later on in life, though? I already have a job so it's not like I need it to boost my prospects in the short term.

I've had a 1st class GPA all throughout uni and been Dean's list every year, but my confidence has just plummeted this year and I've already messed up my dissertation. This leaves me on track for a depressingly high 2.1, unless I get 40/60 remaining credits at an A. At least 20 of which will have to come from group projects, which I've been grouped with 2.2/low 2.1 folk for :frown:.

I'm gonna hop on my coursework tomorrow morning and sort out the things I have to do for this coming week. I'm just trying to realise what the potential benefits of a 1st will be in the long term, and whether it is worth antagonising myself over for the next few months or not...

bro i wouldnt be stressing out if i was in your position lol

you already have a job, and your on track for a 2.1, id say your as good as sorted, especially if your in a job that you intend to be in for a while

people dont differentiate between a 2.1 and a 1st later in life, even in a few years, once you have your first job its pretty much all about experience from then on out, if your planning to leave your job soon and you want to apply for grad schemes and those high paying student programmes, then sure a 1st wouldn't hurt, but your still good with a 2.1 even if you do want to apply to them

dont kill yourself, get your 2.1 and be happy with it, its not worth the stress in your position, if you were jobless and had no experience, then yeh id probably say bust your ass for it, but thats not the position that you are in at all
Reply 4
bro i wouldnt be stressing out if i was in your position lol

you already have a job, and your on track for a 2.1, id say your as good as sorted, especially if your in a job that you intend to be in for a while

people dont differentiate between a 2.1 and a 1st later in life, even in a few years, once you have your first job its pretty much all about experience from then on out, if your planning to leave your job soon and you want to apply for grad schemes and those high paying student programmes, then sure a 1st wouldn't hurt, but your still good with a 2.1 even if you do want to apply to them

dont kill yourself, get your 2.1 and be happy with it, its not worth the stress in your position, if you were jobless and had no experience, then yeh id probably say bust your ass for it, but thats not the position that you are in at all

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:.

Do you think it will hold any bearing if I'm switching jobs in 3 years? I'll be joining Big 4 regional in September and there's a good chance I'll be searching for jobs in industry after 3 years when I qualify.

Would people still pay attention to degree classification following such a standard period of work experience in finance?
Original post by bethany426
Thanks for the reassurance :smile:.

Do you think it will hold any bearing if I'm switching jobs in 3 years? I'll be joining Big 4 regional in September and there's a good chance I'll be searching for jobs in industry after 3 years when I qualify.

Would people still pay attention to degree classification following such a standard period of work experience in finance?

Let me put it like this, most employers that i know (apart from the largest ones) would rather employ someone with a 2.2 and relevant work experience than someone with a 1st who has never done a day of real work in their life, in this day and age, MOST employers want someone who can hit the ground running, with such a large pool of talent, why waste as much resources on training when you have people coming out of uni that have been working since they were 17, and already know how to apply everything they got from academia in a practical setting

If you have 3 years of real big 4 experience and a good reference when you are switching jobs, personally, im pretty confident that you could have a 3rd and most employers would still pick you over the fresh graduate who has a 1st

The longer since your graduation has passed, the less relevant what you got at uni is, and the more relevant what you have been doing since you finished your studies is
Reply 6
Let me put it like this, most employers that i know (apart from the largest ones) would rather employ someone with a 2.2 and relevant work experience than someone with a 1st who has never done a day of real work in their life, in this day and age, MOST employers want someone who can hit the ground running, with such a large pool of talent, why waste as much resources on training when you have people coming out of uni that have been working since they were 17, and already know how to apply everything they got from academia in a practical setting

If you have 3 years of real big 4 experience and a good reference when you are switching jobs, personally, im pretty confident that you could have a 3rd and most employers would still pick you over the fresh graduate who has a 1st

The longer since your graduation has passed, the less relevant what you got at uni is, and the more relevant what you have been doing since you finished your studies is

You're right. It's basically a matter of pride at this stage.

I'll try and stop worrying and just go with the flow :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending