The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths and physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Okay, fair enough. :h:

FP2 is a module in A2 Further Maths. For the exam board Edexcel, it has a few topics that have popped up in my first and second years of Maths, like method of differences, polar co-ordinates, differential equations. Don't worry - it is meaningless now until you figure out what is going to happen.

oh okay what a levels did you choose?
Original post by ameenatariq
I understand what you are saying, but yeah but im not planning to go to the top 5 university's, and on queen mary's website it says an A in a level maths and that's it.
Of course i haven't heard of the STEP exams im only doing GCSE's picking my A levels.

Aha - didn't catch the GCSE student bit.

Yes - that is what Queen Mary say but in the minds of the department they will prefer a FM student to one who doesn't do it. Just like their website says AAA for M.Sci in maths and AAB for B.Sc - they'd prefer a A*A*A* student over a AAB one even though the website doesn't say it out loud.

If you really want to do maths at university then I'd advise you to do further maths with no hesitation whatsoever. It's a no brainer of a choice to make.
Original post by pvaz6965
Aha - didn't catch the GCSE student bit.

Yes - that is what Queen Mary say but in the minds of the department they will prefer a FM student to one who doesn't do it. Just like their website says AAA for M.Sci in maths and AAB for B.Sc - they'd prefer a A*A*A* student over a AAB one even though the website doesn't say it out loud.

If you really want to do maths at university then I'd advise you to do further maths with no hesitation whatsoever. It's a no brainer of a choice to make.

what about just further maths as an AS?
what about just further maths as an AS?

Not worth the time. AS matters next to nothing and even more so with going to full linear A levels like when I did them.

If you don't want to do it then fine, that is your choice. But you are hampering your chances a little and when it comes to starting university you'll be lagging behind many of your classmates. If you are really good its not a big deal but every bit helps as they say.

I guess I think if you want to do maths at university then you should do all the maths at A level you can. That's what I did back in the day.
Not worth the time. AS matters next to nothing and even more so with going to full linear A levels like when I did them.

If you don't want to do it then fine, that is your choice. But you are hampering your chances a little and when it comes to starting university you'll be lagging behind many of your classmates. If you are really good its not a big deal but every bit helps as they say.

I guess I think if you want to do maths at university then you should do all the maths at A level you can. That's what I did back in the day.

okay ill have a think about it.
okay ill have a think about it.

Yes, think about it - talk with teachers/parents and whiz an email off to say Queen Mary's maths department.

As I said at the start of posting on this thread I know someone who never did any GCSE's or A levels and did a maths degree and PhD and is now a maths professor. But he was exceptional but proof it can be done from all manner of backgrounds. I guess what you really need to ask yourself - do you love maths and are you sure that is the path you want to go down. Decide that question and the rest should fall into place if you have the ability.
Yes, think about it - talk with teachers/parents and whiz an email off to say Queen Mary's maths department.

As I said at the start of posting on this thread I know someone who never did any GCSE's or A levels and did a maths degree and PhD and is now a maths professor. But he was exceptional but proof it can be done from all manner of backgrounds. I guess what you really need to ask yourself - do you love maths and are you sure that is the path you want to go down. Decide that question and the rest should fall into place if you have the ability.

i do really enjoy maths and that's why i do further maths level 2.
You can for mid unis mostly. You can get into a few top unis if you get good enough STEP grades. I don't know why anyone would want to though.
Yes but I think that if you did get in, you'd be severely behind everybody else by not taking further maths and I'd imagine that you would find it quite difficult. What A Levels are you taking?
can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

If you can do Further Maths A-level, why wouldn't you? If you like maths enough to want to spend 3/4 years doing a degree in it, you should relish the chance to do Further Maths A-level.

In any case, if you want to go to a good university, Further Maths is very useful - if you can't do it at school, self-teach it. Physics is less important, but it is a relatively easy option if you do Maths and Further Maths. It isn't necessary -- I know someone who got into Bristol without it.
Yes you can
Original post by surina16
Yes but I think that if you did get in, you'd be severely behind everybody else by not taking further maths and I'd imagine that you would find it quite difficult. What A Levels are you taking?

chemistry and biology.
can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

I guess but dont expect offers from Russell Group unis.
oh okay what a levels did you choose?

Year 12: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English literature.
Year 13: Decided I wanted to study Maths at uni and kept Maths, Physics, Chemistry and then Further Maths AS + A2.
Original post by under8ed
I guess but dont expect offers from Russell Group unis.

im not.
Original post by SeanFM
Year 12: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English literature.
Year 13: Decided I wanted to study Maths at uni and kept Maths, Physics, Chemistry and then Further Maths AS + A2.

so you did a full course of further maths in one year?
chemistry and biology.

I think you would have to aim for unis lower down in the league tables. If that is not a problem for you then go for it, however remember that it is not too late to change your subject choices to tailor them for a maths degree :smile:
so you did a full course of further maths in one year?

Yes, and I have seen the benefits of doing so whilst studying Maths at uni. :h:
Original post by surina16
I think you would have to aim for unis lower down in the league tables. If that is not a problem for you then go for it, however remember that it is not too late to change your subject choices to tailor them for a maths degree :smile:

what would you suggest?
what would you suggest?

lots of people who want to do maths that I know take:
maths, further maths, physics + extra (eg. chemistry)?

Quick Reply

Latest