The Student Room Group

How does it feel like travelling via train?

Scroll to see replies

Imagine waiting on a cold platform waiting for something that may or may not arrive and getting to pay for it.
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Trains are completely free.

Though, sometimes angry men try to sell you little pieces of orange paper, but then you just hide in bathroom until they go away.

Unfortunately some stations now have these barriers where if you don't have that little piece of paper you can't get out of the station.
Reply 22
Original post by Inexorably
great when it isn't crowded, not so great when it is ://

Oh

Original post by Davalla
I get on and the geezer says "Tickets please!", so I buy one from him. There's usually a machine at each train station that allows tickets to be bought beforehand, but they are often smashed up from the chavs.

Usually, they stop at each station that it passes, like how a bus stops at bus stops on that route.

Ey I was planning to purchase a 10 month ticket?

Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Trains are completely free.

Though, sometimes angry men try to sell you little pieces of orange paper, but then you just hide in bathroom until they go away.

U pay. .

Original post by Davalla
It's really easy to to get away from not having to buy a ticket. Especially on crowded trains.

Don't u swipe a card?

Original post by ravioliyears
Yes! A few of the London underground trains are very comfortable. Some are quite enclosed, which I hate but others are quite spacious.

Nice

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Without sounding curmudgeonly, how on earth have you never travelled on a train before?

Haven't even travelled via plane
I'm only 17
Reply 23
Original post by DiddyDec
Imagine waiting on a cold platform waiting for something that may or may not arrive and getting to pay for it.

It's cold?
Assuming you actually get a seat, train travel isnt so bad.
Original post by Anonbabes
It's cold?

Always, even in summer. The cold feeling of being forced to pay for a **** service because you don't have any other option.

I'm only 17

You have travelled by car and bicycle before, though? What about rollerblades?

I'm only 17

Seriously?
I like the smell of some of the stations, I know that's weird but oh well.

Trains are expensive, mostly stuffy (rush hour is the worst, oh god, South Kensigton is the worst...).

But can be a pleasant journey to take if you don't want to go on the bus.
Original post by claireestelle

You must live on a different planet.
Reply 30

Not bad then

Always, even in summer. The cold feeling of being forced to pay for a **** service because you don't have any other option.

Rather be cool than hit tbh

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
You have travelled by car and bicycle before, though? What about rollerblades?

Yeah. Rollerblade? What's that?

Seriously?

Nah 😂 yh

Original post by aamirac
I like the smell of some of the stations, I know that's weird but oh well.

Trains are expensive, mostly stuffy (rush hour is the worst, oh god, South Kensigton is the worst...).

But can be a pleasant journey to take if you don't want to go on the bus.

Oh
Reply 31
Original post by barnetlad
I find it more comfortable than the bus or car, or indeed flying. It's my usual preferred mode of travel.

I find it less comfortable, and more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

Why?
Reply 33
Original post by Andy98
I find it less comfortable, and more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the person
Why?

Because travelling by train is awful and slow. It is faster to fly from Birmingham to Norwich via Amsterdam than it is to get the train and only £30 more expensive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Depends on the person

I know, that's what I was showing

Posted from TSR Mobile

After moving to england, the train service is brilliant compared to the welsh ones, travelling to london from here is actually a nice trip especially at the weekend when i can go first class for £15.
After moving to england, the train service is brilliant compared to the welsh ones, travelling to london from here is actually a nice trip especially at the weekend when i can go first class for £15.

I can't say I have had the same experience. They are the slowest form of transport imaginable.
Reply 38

Can't help but disagree here

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't say I have had the same experience. They are the slowest form of transport imaginable.

Driving to london would take 4 hours and can do it by train in just over 2. The only journey that is slower for me is getting to family in north wales but that involves 2 changes and loads of stops so its not surprising really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending