The Student Room Group

How does it feel like travelling via train?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
Can't help but disagree here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you gotten many virgin trains? I suppose it could be that i got used to horrendous train services in wales so anything would seem amazing to me. But free wifi, coffee and snacks isnt half bad.
Reply 41
Original post by claireestelle
Driving to london would take 4 hours and can do it by train in just over 2. The only journey that is slower for me is getting to family in north wales but that involves 2 changes and loads of stops so its not surprising really.

There's no train journey that I can't do quicker in a car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
There's no train journey that I can't do quicker in a car

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do live quite near the M6 but still anything long distance takes longer as the trains are all quite high speed, but i guess down south that could be quite different ?
Reply 43
I do live quite near the M6 but still anything long distance takes longer as the trains are all quite high speed, but i guess down south that could be quite different ?

I'm up north:tongue: It's just from my town it's a two hour drive to catch the train to anywhere significant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I'm up north:tongue: It's just from my town it's a two hour drive to catch the train to anywhere significant

Posted from TSR Mobile

For some reason I had it in my head that you were a southerner, sorry :P Thats understandable if you're not near a connecting station.
Reply 45
For some reason I had it in my head that you were a southerner, sorry :P Thats understandable if you're not near a connecting station.

Tbf I am probably nearer the middle:tongue:

Yeah, I'm in Grimsby so there's maybe one or two trains I could catch but they're so expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Tbf I am probably nearer the middle:tongue:

Yeah, I'm in Grimsby so there's maybe one or two trains I could catch but they're so expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

I d call that north, i m only slightly higher than grimsby apparently (i live in lancashire) .
Reply 47
I d call that north, i m only slightly higher than grimsby apparently (i live in lancashire) .

Ah yeah fair enough (depending on which part of Lancashire:wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trains are the best way to travel. They are just very expensive!
Original post by Andy98
Ah yeah fair enough (depending on which part of Lancashire:wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Central lancs :wink:
Reply 50
Central lancs :wink:

Ahhh right

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to hate travelling via trains. That awkward feeling you get when there are eyes staring at your every move and you can't stare anywhere else (the double seats makes it more awkward), especially if the train is busy. You can't help but whip out a book!
High speed trains are great, they're not like the Tube where you have to avoid making eye contact with other people! Very comfortable and a smooth ride. They are pretty expensive but your experience will depend on the service, e.g. rush hour services on trains commuting into London are extremely unlovely but the reverse journey at the same time is brilliant.
It's actually quite nice. Usually I just put on my headphones and listen to music throughout the journey and look out of the window and daydream. Haha
Trains are pretty good on the whole. They're usually cheaper, faster, more reliable and more comfortable than buses. It's variable whether you get enough space to work and there's not much luggage space though and you need to add another journey at each end to actually get to and from the stations.

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Without sounding curmudgeonly, how on earth have you never travelled on a train before?

It's quite easy not to if there's no train station in your town or the next one along, plus little bus service to get to the train stations.
Original post by morgan8002

It's quite easy not to if there's no train station in your town or the next one along, plus little bus service to get to the train stations.

Basically it's pretty easy not to if you live in the 1650s.
Reply 56
Original post by Vanny17
I used to hate travelling via trains. That awkward feeling you get when there are eyes staring at your every move and you can't stare anywhere else (the double seats makes it more awkward), especially if the train is busy. You can't help but whip out a book!

Surely reading whilst it's moving gives you a headache!

Original post by u.sha
It's actually quite nice. Usually I just put on my headphones and listen to music throughout the journey and look out of the window and daydream. Haha

^
Probably me 😂😂
Original post by Anonbabes
For how many days I go approx 3- 4 days. Accomadation cost is too much

but you're train ticket must cost a fortune?
Reply 58
Original post by Anonbabes
Surely reading whilst it's moving gives you a headache!

^
Probably me 😂😂

Not really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
but you're train ticket must cost a fortune?

Need to work out the costs tbh. Dunno how yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending