The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloom77
What's the difference between MMedSc and a BSc at Southampton? Is the MMedSc also a year long?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So in Year 3, (BM6 is Year 0, so it is Year 3 for BM5 too) everyone does a BMedSci.
If you take a year out you can do an MMedSci which is the next step up from for BMedSci - it takes 2 years in total but only one additional year (so you will move back a year group)
If you take a year out and go elsewhere - ie apply to another uni - you can do the last year of a BSc in anything you like that is vaguely related to medicine, and get a BSc.

Original post by lenamedic
Thanks, I am not sure about the teaching methods - is there pbl, how often, is there more traditional lectures or group work etc. It's just not clear really lol

No PBL at all.
Lectures, tutorials, small amount of group work to learn practical skills.
Original post by Neostigmine
So in Year 3, (BM6 is Year 0, so it is Year 3 for BM5 too) everyone does a BMedSci.
If you take a year out you can do an MMedSci which is the next step up from for BMedSci - it takes 2 years in total but only one additional year (so you will move back a year group)
If you take a year out and go elsewhere - ie apply to another uni - you can do the last year of a BSc in anything you like that is vaguely related to medicine, and get a BSc.

No PBL at all.
Lectures, tutorials, small amount of group work to learn practical skills.

So does that mean if you do the bm6 you get an extra qualification to the bm5
Original post by Alisahhh1998
So does that mean if you do the bm6 you get an extra qualification to the bm5

No. Sorry - what made you think that and I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.
No. Sorry - what made you think that and I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.

So why did you do the bm6 other then because of the grades? And I got confused with the qualification, do you take an extra year to get the extra qualification?
So why did you do the bm6 other then because of the grades? And I got confused with the qualification, do you take an extra year to get the extra qualification?

You do Year 0. Then you essentially just join the new BM5 class and do 5 years with them.

Everyone in BM5 and BM6 does a BMedSci in Year 3 of the 5 years you do together.

The year out means that you'll do 7 years at med school. Those who start on BM5 straight away will do 6 years if they do the extra year for the extra degree.

There are a million reasons why someone would apply to the BM6 course over the BM5, but it is not because you get more qualifications or can take gap years before starting.

Why did you apply?
You do Year 0. Then you essentially just join the new BM5 class and do 5 years with them.

Everyone in BM5 and BM6 does a BMedSci in Year 3 of the 5 years you do together.

The year out means that you'll do 7 years at med school. Those who start on BM5 straight away will do 6 years if they do the extra year for the extra degree.

There are a million reasons why someone would apply to the BM6 course over the BM5, but it is not because you get more qualifications or can take gap years before starting.

Why did you apply?

Mainly because of my grades
But after applying, I see it as a great opportunity to do more activities and get a job. I guess year 0 is very much like a gap year, but your studying what you love!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
But after applying, I see it as a great opportunity to do more activities and get a job. I guess year 0 is very much like a gap year, but your studying what you love!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a current bm6 student?
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right to some extent. Beyond studying, it's a good year to get a job and participate in university activities. However, if you are coming in thinking it's like a gap year: you're mistaken. It's structured lectures, assignments and presentations which are still time consuming but as you said it's in what you love. The content is structured to be useful in later years so it's a year to gain a solid foundation in a bit of everything but don't come in thinking you'll do barely anything or just recapping A level knowledge for a year.
Are you a current bm6 student?

No. Bloom is an applicant.

Oops
Original post by Mel1312
You are right to some extent. Beyond studying, it's a good year to get a job and participate in university activities. However, if you are coming in thinking it's like a gap year: you're mistaken. It's structured lectures, assignments and presentations which are still time consuming but as you said it's in what you love. The content is structured to be useful in later years so it's a year to gain a solid foundation in a bit of everything but don't come in thinking you'll do barely anything or just recapping A level knowledge for a year.

I totally agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what is a normal week or month time table like? How often of each teaching method and assessment do you get?
And what is patient-based learning exactly?
thanks
So what is a normal week or month time table like? How often of each teaching method and assessment do you get?
And what is patient-based learning exactly?
thanks

For JUST the first year:

1: 3 days a week, usually T/W/T with every Weds PM off. Tues and Thurs are teaching, Weds mornings alternate placement/teaching.
2: Teaching is lectures and occasional group work. Assessment - exams at the end of each semester, essays throughout each semester as well. This includes a portfolio of reflection and scientific essays.
3: Learning through patients. Taking a history, doing an exam, speaking to an expert patient. It means your teaching comes through interacting with a patient.
For JUST the first year:

1: 3 days a week, usually T/W/T with every Weds PM off. Tues and Thurs are teaching, Weds mornings alternate placement/teaching.
2: Teaching is lectures and occasional group work. Assessment - exams at the end of each semester, essays throughout each semester as well. This includes a portfolio of reflection and scientific essays.
3: Learning through patients. Taking a history, doing an exam, speaking to an expert patient. It means your teaching comes through interacting with a patient.

Do you recommend having accommodation in the zero year since it's only three days a week because I live in London so it will be an hour and a half journey everyday.
But I'm guessing there will be work to be done throughout the week so accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Do you recommend having accommodation in the zero year since it's only three days a week because I live in London so it will be an hour and a half journey everyday.
But I'm guessing there will be work to be done throughout the week so accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people manage with a journey like that. It is not impossible. But they usually have cars. It will probably be cheaper to live in the area as you'll have 9am lectures so you're looking at £70 a ticket but 15 minutes or so to and from the station to the uni. You may be needed in on a Mon or occasional friday. You'll have group work where your group might want to meet in an evening or weekend. You'll want library access too.

On placement days you can be all over the place which is problematic if you're living further way to start with too.
Some people manage with a journey like that. It is not impossible. But they usually have cars. It will probably be cheaper to live in the area as you'll have 9am lectures so you're looking at £70 a ticket but 15 minutes or so to and from the station to the uni. You may be needed in on a Mon or occasional friday. You'll have group work where your group might want to meet in an evening or weekend. You'll want library access too.

On placement days you can be all over the place which is problematic if you're living further way to start with too.

I wanted to ask the exact same question
if I were to buy a car would i make it through the first year since I'm in london?
also how often do these extra lessons for example on monday or friday pop up?
thanks
Can someone explain how the student accommodation works.. Can we stay in halls for both years 0 and 1 or just year 0? As i know BM5 students can only stay in halls for 1st year.
Original post by qwerty123A
Can someone explain how the student accommodation works.. Can we stay in halls for both years 0 and 1 or just year 0? As i know BM5 students can only stay in halls for 1st year.

yes it says on the website you can stay in halls for both year 0 and year 1 :smile:
yes it says on the website you can stay in halls for both year 0 and year 1 :smile:

Yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 939
Original post by mygroup
I wanted to ask the exact same question
if I were to buy a car would i make it through the first year since I'm in london?
also how often do these extra lessons for example on monday or friday pop up?
thanks

Once or twice a month. But it's very likely that you'll have placements on Mondays during some parts of the year. I would say if you can get accommodation and live in Soton that'd make things much easier for you. But it's not impossible to manage. Just wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest