The Student Room Group

Female, 23 and muslim - feel like I'll forever be single...

Scroll to see replies

I don't want to say exactly where and risk giving my identity away. Not far from a major city and close to another area which does have a fairly big muslim population, but of a completely different ethnicity.

Most of the british muslim population have dark skin, so aren't used to seeing fair-skinned muslims like myself, and are surprised when I tell them I am.

I have thought about joining one, but not gonna lie, the idea makes me cringe a little.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's just hard when you're nearing your mid 20s and haven't experienced what most people have in life :/
Original post by alkaline.
I think cause when they date they want it to lead to marriage, and it's not permitted to marry a non-muslim guy in Islam :/

OP what ethnicity are you? cause you said you don't look ethnically muslim so it's making me wonder. Someone said join societies which I think is such a good idea plus it won't just be people from your year and you'll get older guys

Because people of my ethnic group in this country is so small, I'm scared of giving my identity away if I say. Basically I'm fair-skinned, so most british muslims (who have darker skin) aren't used to seeing people that look like me and are muslim.

At 23, I'm quite a bit older than most at my uni who are 18-22. I've made friends here, but I don't know about dating a younger guy tbh. I'll definitely join some though and see where it gets me.
Original post by Anonymous
Because people of my ethnic group in this country is so small, I'm scared of giving my identity away if I say. Basically I'm fair-skinned, so most british muslims (who have darker skin) aren't used to seeing people that look like me and are muslim.

At 23, I'm quite a bit older than most at my uni who are 18-22. I've made friends here, but I don't know about dating a younger guy tbh. I'll definitely join some though and see where it gets me.

Are you Turkish? or Lebanese?

Absolute bollox, wtf!? I have very fair skin and blonde hair too (syrian). Everyone knows im a muslim, what the **** does fair skin have to do with anything? lol They don't care.
Twice now I've ended up being friends with muslim guys I really liked. With the second guy, I fell hard, but he just wanted to hang out, watch netflix and go out for lunch every week and just wasn't really into me.
There are many problems I'm facing right now. Firstly, I started uni this year (late I know) after realising I wanted to be a teacher. This means I'm surrounded by mostly younger guys. Also, I'm part of probably the smallest muslim ethnic group in the country, and as most prefer to marry their own race, it makes it hard. As I don't wear a hijab (cover my hair) I don't stand out as muslim. I'm also constantly told I don't look ethnically muslim.
I'm lucky to have open-minded parents, who despite fasting 5 times daily, have said they wouldn't get mad if I don't marry a muslim guy (tbh I think they'd just rather not see me die alone as they know the problem I'm facing). I do however want to find a muslim guy to marry, but I'm starting to lose hope and become depressed. I turn down non-muslim guys I find attractive, but I fear I'll be alone forever :frown:
Thanks for reading if you got this far

7/10. how can you get fasting confused with praying? LMAOOOOO troll.
Original post by samina_ay

I agree, a troll, full of ******** lol.

Can't get over it ahah
Becoming friends with and dating Muslim guys isn't going to help you find a good husband. If you are serious about marriage you can even get help in finding a spouse from your local masjid. Ask family members, friends, people at your mosque if they know anyone who is looking to marry and would make a good husband.

Have you considered wearing the hijab?
Reply 48
Original post by yasminkattan

Have you considered wearing the hijab?

Why is this a thing? Why does wearing a hijab suddenly make her marriage material?
First of all, are you taking something? How can you look ethnically Muslim? Islam is not a race or an ethnicity, it's a religion. People can be Muslim and be of any race/ethnicity/nationality etc.

Second of all, who would say that a religion as oppressive as Islam which treats different genders as polar opposites and which forces you to marry/date within that very religion would be a hindrance to love? I don't pity you. No one here should. You said you do get approached, and asked out, but turn away any non-Muslims. But then you go on and complain how you'll forever be single. You can't have your cake and eat it.
Reply 50
Original post by RivalPlayer
Don't you mean praying?

They just eat a lot of snacks, okay!!

That 2 hour fast can be hard.
fasting 5 times daily.....k.
Original post by whorace
Why is this a thing? Why does wearing a hijab suddenly make her marriage material?

I never said that. I'm simply asking. Also if she wants to attract a pious husband this is an important factor.
If you consider non muslim men you would have a wider pool and better chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
If you consider non muslim men you would have a wider pool and better chances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a Muslim she's not allowed to marry outside of her faith.
What do ethnic muslims look like lmao
Original post by yasminkattan
As a Muslim she's not allowed to marry outside of her faith.

But its permitted by law and common sense, which is what that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samina_ay

I was really tired when I posted this sometime close to midnight yesterday...
If you want to ask me anything islam related to see if I'm really trolling, go ahead.
But either way, believe what you want to believe.

See above.
do you only date muslims

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending