The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of sixth form??

I've been studying A levels since September (5 months) and I'm really not enjoying them, I just got my mock results back and I failed with 2 U's and 1 E and the exam is in may and I honestly don't think I'm going to pass.

I have a job already in retail I work part time and I absolutely love it and make good money. So I'm thinking if I drop out of sixth form I can work full time and make more money or even in the future do a apprenticeship.

But I know if I should drop out or not, is it the best thing to do??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlottejade_k
I've been studying A levels since September (5 months) and I'm really not enjoying them, I just got my mock results back and I failed with 2 U's and 1 E and the exam is in may and I honestly don't think I'm going to pass.

I have a job already in retail I work part time and I absolutely love it and make good money. So I'm thinking if I drop out of sixth form I can work full time and make more money or even in the future do a apprenticeship.

I don't think you should drop out because you can't work in retail for ever are you still have time to revise and get good grades and go to university so you get a better paid job don't working in a retail store which is not very ideal

For alot of people sixth form is one of the best times in their lives but also one of the most stressful times. You shouldn't be discouraged with your mock grades that literally how everyone starts unless they're retaking or cheating. I think you should stay in sixth form a little while longer its only 3 months now. If you ever think about going to education later in life it will be more difficult. Just hang in there! :smile:
Whatever feels right for you do it :smile:

Do whatever makes you happy! A levels certainly aren't for everyone and if you're not enjoying them then there is absolutely no point in stressing yourself out and making yourself unhappy. It is your decision and you need to think about it carefully. Are you sure you wouldn't be able to pass them? You could try giving yourself a final push to see, but if the thought of this isn't bearable then follow your heart and drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A levels aren't right for everyone. It's possible that your mock grades are way off what you would get in your final exams, though, so you can only really make the decision whether to stay or leave based on your own feelings. I wasn't happy at my original college so I left and went to another a year later. You could either so that (making different subject choices, if you feel you'd do better at something else) or do a different type of course - a BTEC or an apprenticeship, as you say. Education will always be open to you, so do what you feel is best for you right now.
your mock results don't determine what you will get in the actual exam. i mean i got a D once in mines, but ended up with better grades.
What you may be feeling is anxiety towards the exams, but you should try to structure it out more. and give it a proper shot at it again, and in terms of jobs, you can't work in retail forever, at least having school to fall back on takes pressure off things better.
Don't you have to be in education until 18 now? You could get much better results than your mocks so why not try finishing the year and if you still don't like it then drop out.
Yes, you can drop out. If you don't like A levels then don't bother carrying on doing it. You can work full time for the rest of this year, and yhen when september comes you can apply for an apprenticeship or a BTEC course. So much better.
Reply 9
I think it would be a big mistake to drop out. The job market is very competitive and people with no qualifications other than GCSE's will be significantly disadvantaged. Even if you got an apprenticeship you would be disadvantaged because nowadays there's more professional jobs around that need academic qualifications and lots of people with apprenticeships still have a levels.

Lots of people don't do well in mocks and do much better in the real exams. i don't know what courses you are taking but the fact that you are taking them means that your college think you are smart enough to pass based on your previous qualifications.

If you dropped out I believe that you would regret it.
Original post by Shiv is Light
You shouldn't be discouraged with your mock grades that literally how everyone starts unless they're retaking or cheating.

You know for making statements like that (which is basically a lie) you should not be giving anyone advice.
You are an idiot. All AS students don't do well at first and my experience those who do, generally cheat or were retakers

So I am an idiot despite being a professor of mathematics at a well known university? But calling you out for bad advice makes me an idiot?

Well back in the day I remember not losing a single point on my A level mock exams. And I guarantee a large fraction of my students got straight A's (or A*'s) on their mock AS or A2 exams.
Original post by pvaz6965
So I am an idiot despite being a professor of mathematics at a well known university? But calling you out for bad advice makes me an idiot?

Well back in the day I remember not losing a single point on my A level mock exams. And I guarantee a large fraction of my students got straight A's (or A*'s) on their mock AS or A2 exams.

Yes that was for mocks, but how bout the real exams? And things have changed since your time. I was just trying to encourage someone rather than discourage them.
Yes that was for mocks, but how bout the real exams? And things have changed since your time. I was just trying to encourage someone rather than discourage them.

Many people take A levels who have no business doing them. Sounds like the OP may be such a person. And there is no shame in that. Telling them to push on could be the worst advice possible and lead to a nervous breakdown if things are really bad.

Real exams? I never missed an A. No A* back then or modular A levels either. And I am familiar with todays situation because I have these kids of today as my students and I have run the admissions for our department.
Many people take A levels who have no business doing them. Sounds like the OP may be such a person. And there is no shame in that. Telling them to push on could be the worst advice possible and lead to a nervous breakdown if things are really bad.

Real exams? I never missed an A. No A* back then or modular A levels either. And I am familiar with todays situation because I have these kids of today as my students and I have run the admissions for our department.

Fair enough, but in my situation clearly very different from yours, the people who did well in mocks did worse in the actual mocks and vice versa. Those who failed the mocks worked much harder and succeeded. Sorry for offending you, mate
Fair enough, but in my situation clearly very different from yours, the people who did well in mocks did worse in the actual mocks and vice versa. Those who failed the mocks worked much harder and succeeded. Sorry for offending you, mate

You were pretty quick on the idiot draw there, sport.
You were pretty quick on the idiot draw there, sport.

Lol, its the internet we're all anonymous and say things we wouldn't in real life
Original post by claireestelle
Don't you have to be in education until 18 now? You could get much better results than your mocks so why not try finishing the year and if you still don't like it then drop out.

This is what I thought :tongue:
--
OP you should do what you feel is the right decision, but be prepared for the consequences thar arise from it.
You are an idiot. All AS students don't do well at first and my experience those who do, generally cheat or were retakers

A-levels aren't that hard lmao.

I was getting As in both maths and biology when I first started out. If you put in the work from the beginning, you do well from the beginning.
Original post by jamestg
A-levels aren't that hard lmao.

I was getting As in both maths and biology when I first started out. If you put in the work from the beginning, you do well from the beginning.

Thats wierd, in my sixth form me and other smarter people were'nt getting straight As

Quick Reply

Latest