The Student Room Group

Sexism against men

This website ( http://www.realsexism.com/ ) basically sums up why I fight for men's equality as a lot of people can't seem to understand why I bother.

Real sexism is almost no shelters for male victims of domestic violence.
Real sexism is men getting harsher punishments for the same crime.
Real sexism is countries with compulsorily military service for men.
Real sexism, courts that takes children from fathers based on gender.
Real sexism is numerous government departments dealing with women's issues but none dealing with men's issues.
Male infant circumcision/genital mutilation is legal and performed widely and even completely socially accepted but female genital mutilation is not.
A young boy raped by a woman can be forced to pay child support to his rapist if she gets pregnant, that's real sexism.
Many countries do not even recognize female on male rape. It can maximally only amount to “sexual assault” that's real sexism.
Real sexism is having no special laws like VAWA to protect men, even though men are the majority of victims of violent crime.
There are drives to fill quotas for women for the high paid roles but not in the dangerous jobs dominated by men, thats real sexism.
In the army, police, fire service or any other position women have to meet much lower physical standards than men.
Real sexism is services for men only given a fraction of the funds that services for women are given at a government and a social level.
For the same crime, irrespective of the gender of the offender, the perpetrator gets more punishment if the victim is female rather than male.
Most divorce laws are skewed against men, men can lose half his properly, money and children to a woman who decides to leave him.He is expected to pay for this betrayal, especially if he has already provided for and supported her, this is real sexism.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Feminism is the pursuit of equality of the sexes- it encompasses both male and female equality. I believe both fighting for women's equality and fighting for men's equality are two sides of the same coin, and neither should contradict nor interrupt the other.
Original post by balanced
This website ( http://www.realsexism.com/ ) basically sums up why I fight for men's equality as a lot of people can't seem to understand why I bother.

Real sexism is numerous government departments dealing with women's issues but none dealing with men's issues.
Male infant circumcision/genital mutilation is legal and performed widely and even completely socially accepted but female genital mutilation is not.
A young boy raped by a woman can be forced to pay child support to his rapist if she gets pregnant, that's real sexism.
Many countries do not even recognize female on male rape. It can maximally only amount to “sexual assault” that's real sexism.
Real sexism is having no special laws like VAWA to protect men, even though men are the majority of victims of violent crime.
There are drives to fill quotas for women for the high paid roles but not in the dangerous jobs dominated by men, thats real sexism.
In the army, police, fire service or any other position women have to meet much lower physical standards than men.
Real sexism is services for men only given a fraction of the funds that services for women are given at a government and a social level.
For the same crime, irrespective of the gender of the offender, the perpetrator gets more punishment if the victim is female rather than male.
Most divorce laws are skewed against men, men can lose half his properly, money and children to a woman who decides to leave him.He is expected to pay for this betrayal, especially if he has already provided for and supported her, this is real sexism.

one of the few i repped :biggrin:
i agree with you (repped to refer to for later purposes)
Reply 3
Original post by BENJISAURUS
Feminism is the pursuit of equality of the sexes- it encompasses both male and female equality. I believe both fighting for women's equality and fighting for men's equality are two sides of the same coin, and neither should contradict nor interrupt the other.

They shouldn't, but feminism is inherently woman-focused and much of the modern feminist movement seems decidedly anti-masculinity and hostile towards men in general, which doesn't breed any kind of aid to equality.

baby-crying-450.jpg

People, particularly women, in countries outside of the western world suffer much much worse than this. Cry me a river.
Why do people keep making these ridiculous threads?
Original post by loveleest

why is it ridiculous?
Original post by Zargabaath
why is it ridiculous?

Errm, look at arh post
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
They shouldn't, but feminism is inherently woman-focused and much of the modern feminist movement seems decidedly anti-masculinity and hostile towards men in general, which doesn't breed any kind of aid to equality.

Well, they don't, at least not in their purest ideological forms. If people have an issue with feminism being 'anti male' then they should join and attempt to reshape the feminist movement (e.g. perhaps campaigning for less reactionary responses and more sympathetic approaches to dealing with ignorance).

Men's equality cannot exist without women's equality- the two have to coexist and so therefore so should their movements. This is why it's particularly unhelpful to bash feminism; it's probably done more for men's rights and awareness of male issues than 'menimism' has, and wherever equality is campaigned for it's important to recognise that this means equality for both the sexes. Whether someone is correct on the statistics or not, it's clear there is gender inequality in the world for both men and women, and a united movement, rather than one movement trying to smear the other, is needed.
Reply 9
Fair to an extent on some points... but in cases like "A young boy raped by a woman can be forced to pay child support to his rapist"...well, surely there are worse ways to suffer, but I reckon the suffering score is pretty high here..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Fair to an extent on some points... but in cases like "A young boy raped by a woman can be forced to pay child support to his rapist"...well, surely there are worse ways to suffer, but I reckon the suffering score is pretty high here..

Has this actually ever happened though or is it just one of those weird laws that never got written off but never actually get enforced?
@Ethereal World I'm not gonna jump on the feminist-bashing bandwagon, but remember what I told you the other night? What the default response to any male issue was?

These posts I've quoted are pretty standard responses. Look at the OP's points, I find it pretty depressing that people get rep for trivialising issues like this.

Original post by loveleest
Reply 13
I think I remember some thread on such an instance here, but anyway, a quick google yields an article on one case and mentioning a couple of others http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/05/nick-olivas-alleged-rape-victim-_n_5773532.html
This is the kind of reactionary response I'm talking about. It's absolutely right that on the whole women suffer a far larger, uglier injustice than men in the world. However, 'cry me a river' is hardly the way to address what is a legitimate, if poorly researched and rather one sided, concern for men's issues. The developing world is absolutely a priority, as are women's rights, but men's issues are a completely justifiable concern. What's not justifiable is the blatant feminist bashing bs on the other side of that link he posted. :frown:

How do we fix this?
Original post by Zargabaath
@Ethereal World I'm not gonna jump on the feminist-bashing bandwagon, but remember what I told you the other night? What the default response to any male issue was?

These posts I've quoted are pretty standard responses. Look at the OP's points, I find it pretty depressing that people get rep for trivialising issues like this.

How is it trivialising it? I'm just putting some perspective onto the situation, there are people in the world starving, child soldiers, gays getting executed for being gay, human trafficking going on and here is OP whining on about mostly non consequential points.
Reply 17
Original post by BENJISAURUS

Feminism has nothing to do with equality, feminists are a group of women who use words like "Sheenis" and throw up at the mention of sex because it takes away their "inner power".
But we are inside the western world.
Original post by scrotgrot
But we are inside the western world.

Yes; and we are very fortunate to be able to live in mostly good and safe conditions where our human rights are upheld. How about we be grateful for what progress we have made and resolve to help those in much greater need than ourselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending