The Student Room Group

Art or Music GCSE?

Hi there,
I don't know whether to choose art or music for my GCSEs and the only way I could do both is by giving up Latin, which I don't want to do as I don't want to study either later on. I'm on grade 6 for piano and violin and I know how to play the guitar fairly decently but the only issue is that my theory isn't the greatest. I have absolutely no clue what to take.

Scroll to see replies

Hello,
Personally I think you should take Music. I don't take either subject, but I do know a lot about them both.
In Art you will have to do a lot of course work, which is very time consuming, especially when you need to be revising for mocks and the real exams. I loved art up till year 9, but I knew that it would take too much time, and in the end stress me out. If you are a fairly quick 'artist' (unlike myself) then it probably won't be too bad. However, a lot of my friends that did take it feel as though it takes a lot of time out of their day, considering they need to finish 3 A3 books in just 2 years.
I think music would be the best option, firstly I would make sure that the teacher is good beforehand, because my friends that took it are now going over everything in a few months, so they are not going over things in much detail, because they had a bad teacher in the first year. Whereas with art, it is a lot more independent work. To take music I would definitely say you need to be a grade 5, and preferably with a teacher outside of school. A lot of the current music course is composition, and 1 test at the end of the year, which sounds fairly good for a GCSE test.
Sadly the course is changing, Im not sure how much it will effect music or art, but the only difference would be is that there are 1 or 2 more written tests at the end of the course.
Definitely ask your teachers about what they think, normally schools have a parents evening before the options are final. Its a good opportunity to ask then. Else just ask during a lunch or break time.
Original post by TheTinyChild
Hi there,
I don't know whether to choose art or music for my GCSEs and the only way I could do both is by giving up Latin, which I don't want to do as I don't want to study either later on. I'm on grade 6 for piano and violin and I know how to play the guitar fairly decently but the only issue is that my theory isn't the greatest. I have absolutely no clue what to take.

Hey I take GCSE Music and think it is a better option. I agree with the above user with everything however one thing I disagree with: You don't necessarily need to be grade 5+ in an instrument or have a private teacher to do well. Any questions please PM me, I am considering doing Music AS
I don't do either but everyone I know who takes art says it is far too time-consuming so I guess music would be better
Reply 4
Hey!

I don't take either art or music but my friends that take art(art&design or fine art) say that it is fun but very time consuming. On the contrary, one of my best friends takes music and she loves the course. Also, if you're a grade 6 for piano and violin I'd say music would be a better choice for you.

Good luck!:smile:
Original post by homeland.lsw
Hey I take GCSE Music and think it is a better option. I agree with the above user with everything however one thing I disagree with: You don't necessarily need to be grade 5+ in an instrument or have a private teacher to do well. Any questions please PM me, I am considering doing Music AS

You mean your school's still letting you do AS?

Spoiler

Original post by TheOtherSide.
You mean your school's still letting you do AS?

Well we are getting the new science block and expanding :smug:
But maybe just as a fifth subject/enrichment course?
Well we are getting the new science block and expanding :smug:
But maybe just as a fifth subject/enrichment course?

Our school was supposed to have started construction for our own new science block and sixth form block in September... :facepalm:

Meh, I'll probably just be carrying on with all my music clubs (and tagging along to music trips, because only two people will be studying music at A-level). Yeah.. our school isn't even letting us take five subjects.
Our school was supposed to have started construction for our own new science block and sixth form block in September... :facepalm:

Meh, I'll probably just be carrying on with all my music clubs (and tagging along to music trips, because only two people will be studying music at A-level). Yeah.. our school isn't even letting us take five subjects.

are school started construction this monday :h:
at least your building doesn't have ****ing asbestos in it...
what overall grades do you have for art and music
are school started construction this monday :h:
at least your building doesn't have ****ing asbestos in it...

There's mold growing on some of the walls. I really don't think asbestos can compete with that.
Original post by elena2003
what overall grades do you have for art and music

What do you mean? Like what grade am I working at at the moment?
What do you mean? Like what grade am I working at at the moment?

what you are predicated to get if you did that subject as i am predicated a 6b in art and in music a 4a
Original post by elena2003
what you are predicated to get if you did that subject as i am predicated a 6b in art and in music a 4a

At the moment I am working at A* level music...I would recommend you take art since you seem to be better at it...
..I would recommend you take art since you are better than that :smile: and i am not going to take art or music because art there is too much course work and music the teacher doesnt recommend it for me
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I would suggest you take music. You're on grade six and art is gonna take up all your free time. Most of my friends regret it like hell.
At the moment I am working at A* level music...I would recommend you take art since you seem to be better at it...

Levels really don't mean anything - I got higher levels for Art than I did for Music, but I took Music instead and I'm sure that I'd have done a lot worse in Art than I'm doing in Music.
Levels really don't mean anything - I got higher levels for Art than I did for Music, but I took Music instead and I'm sure that I'd have done a lot worse in Art than I'm doing in Music.

who asked you?
who asked you?

Just wanted to try and help OP, but I won't post here anymore if you'll act like that :K:
I'm in Year 11 and my friends took art or music.

One of them was fantastic at loads of instruments and could write their own music but on the exams they have only been getting Cs and that is the highest in their class - so it might be very difficult, however, they say for art that you must want to draw a lot in your free time and one of my friends has gotten behind in every single piece despite doing it every day.

If you are very committed and orgainsed (which I am sure you are) then you'll go far no matter what you choose.

If I can be of any further assistance let me know through here :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

Quick Reply

Latest