The Student Room Group

Art or Music GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Just wanted to try and help OP, but I won't post here anymore if you'll act like that :K:

lol apparently you can't figure out a sarcastic tone...
Frankly I hated art...
Original post by homeland.lsw
lol apparently you can't figure out a sarcastic tone...
Frankly I hated art...

Clearly not :colondollar: (to be fair, being sarcastic online is pretty hard to do, particularly when I'm the recipient...)

Actually, I pretty much only hated art because of the workload. Otherwise, the lessons were alright for us, since all we did was talk and splash paint on a piece of paper.
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Clearly not :colondollar: (to be fair, being sarcastic online is pretty hard to do, particularly when I'm the recipient...)

Actually, I pretty much only hated art because of the workload. Otherwise, the lessons were alright for us, since all we did was talk and splash paint on a piece of paper.

I always seemed to get paint on my chemise so I never liked art...
Also I can't draw for ****
Original post by homeland.lsw
I always seemed to get paint on my chemise so I never liked art...
Also I can't draw for ****

If my friends hadn't persuaded me to, I'm almost sure I'd have taken Art, too... (just because I wouldn't know what else to take)

And then GCSEs would have been even more hellish than they already are.
With yourself working at Grade 6 level in two, not one, but two instruments: I think you'd be stupid not to take Music over Art. Although, I don't take any of them, I somewhat wish I did take GCSE Music. But beware, like the above poster said, it's not all about practical skills, there's alot of listening and boring stuff you have to slog through according to my friends ATM. I have some amazing musicians as friends, most of which struggled with the recent mocks. Think about it.
I don't know about art, but I take music and you only have to have grade 4 in one instrument to take it. In terms of theory, they'll teach it all to you and it's much easier than you might expect. I took AQA (I think) and most of the grade is performance or content based, as opposed to knowledge of theory. It might also be worth looking at the amount of time they take up? Again I'm not expert, but sometimes my friends find that art homework can be quite heavy if you want to do it well. At my school the music homework is quite light, but ask friends or teachers who have take it
YHH i agree you should do music for GCSE
i am at the moment and its going fine
but: u must know alot about the composers and their set work

i have heard that you must be grade5+ apparently its much better if you were
but im sure if you enjoy the subject you'll do really well :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest