The Student Room Group

Should I take A/AS Level German?

I am currently studying German at GCSE and I really enjoy it. My expected grade is also an A. I would like to study A Level German next year. However, I also intend on taking Geography and Economics, with the hope to go onto town planning. Therefore, I am not sure whether studying German A Level would be beneficial for the future. I would probably study A Level Geology if I did not choose German. Please help, thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Research different university courses. Some ask for specific subjects while others ask for certain grades, regardless of what subjects they are in. If it is the latter, then I don't see why you shouldn't take it on to A level if you are good at it, as this would only be beneficial in securing the grades you need for the university course!
Good luck with your GCSE!
I personally didn't study German, but I did study Spanish. I didn't take it into A Level and I regret it so much that I now have Spanish tutoring alongside my work. Having a language is attractive to an employer and opens up paths in your chosen career as well as alternative careers. Having German and being able to speak it well will make you stand out from other applicants to jobs and may even help with university applications as it shows diversity. I think you should take it, especially if you are doing so well in it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by themosscrowd
I personally didn't study German, but I did study Spanish. I didn't take it into A Level and I regret it so much that I now have Spanish tutoring alongside my work. Having a language is attractive to an employer and opens up paths in your chosen career as well as alternative careers. Having German and being able to speak it well will make you stand out from other applicants to jobs and may even help with university applications as it shows diversity. I think you should take it, especially if you are doing so well in it. :smile:

Firstly, apologies for a delayed response. Would you say that a B grade in German would be more attractive than say an A Grade in Geology although the difference in UCAS points? Personally, I think it may be the case as there are declining amounts of people with a levels in modern languages.
Original post by AGareth10
Firstly, apologies for a delayed response. Would you say that a B grade in German would be more attractive than say an A Grade in Geology although the difference in UCAS points? Personally, I think it may be the case as there are declining amounts of people with a levels in modern languages.

I would say that if you are confident enough in your ability to gain a B or an A, then you should most definitely do it. I agree with you that modern languages are sought after!
I currently do German AS and hope to take it next year too. 100% the only subject I havent had second thoughts about or questioned my motives for taking this language. Yes, as with every subject, the jump from GCSE to A level is vast. I got an A* at GCSE and am a strong speaker, however in the first mock in october I got a D, and the highest in the class was a C. The topics youstudy are the same as GCSE ones (health, environment, etc), but the main difference here is the method and skills of answering questions. You'll get taught really useful essay phraseology that aren't hard to remember at all that really help with arguments. at A level you're expected to have an opinion on everything, rather than just be able to understand a text. In speakings, you get 4 questions and the last 2 cover your own opinion on a specific topic- I also take geography and this is the exact same case, as they're looking for your opinion in your answers. I absolutely love it and I've improved loads in my confidence in writing so I really would recommend it! If you have any questions feel free to PM me whether its about the course, GCSE help/advice or anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest