The Student Room Group

How to get your work done!

So, I've found a very useful way to get stuff done and so far, it is a winner!
I thought I might just share it with you.

First off, if you aren't a 'to-do list' person then maybe you should start being one. It's quite simple and motivational, trust me. I never was the kind of person to actually spend time writing my to-do list, but when I found this technique, I thought I must give it a try.

But how to write your to-do list?
Well, if your to-do list got"Study chapter 1", "Solve math", "Exercise", or anything along those lines written like so, you're doing it wrong!!

Let me tell you what I think actually works.
Initially, you need a to-do list planner, if that wasn't obvious.
If you don't really like writing things down, you might want to download any to-do planner app.

Now, you gotta have 2 to-do lists, 1 achievements list, and one for motivational purposes.
Your first to-do list should include long-term goals. Say your goals for the week or month.
Your second to-do list ought to include your daily goals. Things you want to get done in your day, in order to eventually achieve your goals for the week or month.
Dividing your goals into long term and short term goals would really just help you process things slowly, and handle everything without being stressed and overwhelmed.

The achievements list gotta include every single thing you got done, this would motivate you and push you to working harder. This one is really important. If a week passed by and your achievements list is empty, you'd feel guilty and wouldn't want to end up the same way next week, eh?

Finally, save a page/note for motivational purposes, preferably placed somewhere you're inclined to come across. Here write anything that you think would motivate you, quotes or sayings your choice really. Personally, reminding myself of my successful friends really motivates me and gets me working real hard. I wouldn't want to be the one sitting in a corner munching on chocolates and crying as I see all my friends succeed. Nope!

Here is my list. My loptop is the first thing I switch on when I wake up so I thought this might be a great idea. And yes, I unfortunately haven't succeeded in filling my achievements list..If you're interested, this app is called "Sticky Notes".

Untitled.jpg

This video was what inspired me. Do watch it, it can be a life changer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9mKypqTQ4

Do tag your friends if you think this is gonna help them.
Good Luck
Each to their own, I suppose. Honestly, making to do lists just depresses me. I end up trying to find ways to postpone the first item on the list, and if I do, then I just feel even worse the next day. When it comes to workload, I'd rather be spoonfed bits and pieces instead of seeing the entire mountain all at once.
Reply 2
Original post by AdjectiveNoun
Each to their own, I suppose. Honestly, making to do lists just depresses me. I end up trying to find ways to postpone the first item on the list, and if I do, then I just feel even worse the next day. When it comes to workload, I'd rather be spoonfed bits and pieces instead of seeing the entire mountain all at once.

Yeah, I mean after all everyone has their own technique. I'm sorry this doesn't work for you.

Quick Reply