The Student Room Group

For those who got an A* at an iGCSE language

CIE iGCSE French...

Not sure what to actually make notes on, if any at all (we have textbook + vocab. book)

Also, ways to improve speaking/listening?

Less than 2 months until reading/writing/speaking exam, currently on low A but want an A*

Thanks!
Original post by oli19919
CIE iGCSE French...

Not sure what to actually make notes on, if any at all (we have textbook + vocab. book)

Less than 2 months until reading/writing/speaking exam, currently on low A but want an A*

Thanks!

I did Spanish as part of my GCSE but may help anyways. I listened to the radio and did lots of past papers with the listening recordings attached and would play them back if I missed bits out. I would then get the mark scheme and listen to it again to see where you can obtain the marks.

In terms of speaking record yourself going through your answers/presentation and listen back.

I got an A* so I help this helps
Reply 2
CIE iGCSE French...

Thanks!

I did this exact gcse and got an A*, so-

1) Practise your speaking at every opportunity. Speak French to your dog if you have to.

2) Listen to actual French people speaking French. Find a French radio or music; it will help both with listening and with speaking.

3) Do practise essays to practise actually applying your grammar. Same for the reading exam.

4) Make notes and flashcards on your grammar and vocab. Put them up around your house so you read them a lot.

5) Honestly, I can't emphasise enough how important being pro-active and actually practising your target language is. Keep practising every day, and if you come across vocab you don't know, then look it up.

6) Have a look into the duolingo app; it'll go back to the basics so they're secure and prompt you to practise a little bit everyday.

Good luck!!
Original post by Collinsino
I did Spanish as part of my GCSE but may help anyways. I listened to the radio and did lots of past papers with the listening recordings attached and would play them back if I missed bits out. I would then get the mark scheme and listen to it again to see where you can obtain the marks.

In terms of speaking record yourself going through your answers/presentation and listen back.

I got an A* so I help this helps

Thanks a lot that's a really good idea! I screenshotted your reply btw :wink:

I'm definitely gonna make notes for the oral answers but not sure whether it's worth making other notes for the reading/writing/listening papers for vocab/grammar/verbs or to just read/revise from the textbook and vocab books

Posted from TSR Mobile
for the writing you can also make modal answers which you can place at the beginning of any piece
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks a lot that's a really good idea! I screenshotted your reply btw :wink:

I'm definitely gonna make notes for the oral answers but not sure whether it's worth making other notes for the reading/writing/listening papers for vocab/grammar/verbs or to just read/revise from the textbook and vocab books

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha pleasure :smile:
Original post by rhensis
I did this exact gcse and got an A*, so-

1) Practise your speaking at every opportunity. Speak French to your dog if you have to.

2) Listen to actual French people speaking French. Find a French radio or music; it will help both with listening and with speaking.

3) Do practise essays to practise actually applying your grammar. Same for the reading exam.

4) Make notes and flashcards on your grammar and vocab. Put them up around your house so you read them a lot.

5) Honestly, I can't emphasise enough how important being pro-active and actually practising your target language is. Keep practising every day, and if you come across vocab you don't know, then look it up.

6) Have a look into the duolingo app; it'll go back to the basics so they're secure and prompt you to practise a little bit everyday.

Good luck!!

OK thanks a lot!! I think I will do all of that minus the notes; I think I may be wasting my time with notes becaus I'd just be copying them from the textbook so may as well just learn the vocab and grsmmar directly from the textbook instead -> though if you strongly advise making notes despite it taking longer then tell me and I will do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
OK thanks a lot!! I think I will do all of that minus the notes; I think I may be wasting my time with notes becaus I'd just be copying them from the textbook so may as well just learn the vocab and grsmmar directly from the textbook instead -> though if you strongly advise making notes despite it taking longer then tell me and I will do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really have to do notes if that doesn't help you, it's just that I find that writing notes helps absorb things more than just reading them from a textbook. It depends on how you think it's best to use your time really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest