The Student Room Group

Handwritten notes vs typed notes

which is the best way to make notes by typing or writing them. I personally like writing notes but i feel like theyre too time consuming so thats why i type instead
I prefer to type all of my notes, because that way it's easier to edit/update them, and it also means that I can keep all of my notes together in documents/folders on my laptop, rather than having to search through heavy ring-binders and lever arch folders trying to find the notes I need :smile:
Typed notes are easier to read but I think you learn more when you write because you're thinking about what you're doing as you go.
Original post by honeydr
which is the best way to make notes by typing or writing them. I personally like writing notes but i feel like theyre too time consuming so thats why i type instead

Handwritten. They're much much better. When you type you usually don't learn while doing it. In handwriting you remember the stuff you write
HANDWRITTEN. You're not faffing around trying to highlight on the laptop, trying to draw diagrams. And seen as my subjects are fairly diagram based, handwritten notes are a necessity really.
Original post by honeydr

I do both
The more complex topics I write by hand but I print out diagrams and stuff
The benefit of typing up is that it looks much neater, I do this for simple topics.
Tables are love.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I find it easier to type and have done since A-Levels, but I know most people prefer handwritten notes. I assume my preference for typed notes is due to the fact that currently, at university, my notes for exams can (start out, before being condensed/edited) end up being at 10-15 (sometimes more :eek:) pages which would take far too much time to write out by hand. Additionally, I don't write in exams anyway due to my disability (I either type or have a scribe write for me), so that might be why I have a stronger preference for typed notes.

But, y'know, everyone's different.
Reply 7
Original post by honeydr

I heard at University lectures nowdays, students video their lectures ....
Original post by Pathway
I find it easier to type and have done since A-Levels, but I know most people prefer handwritten notes. I assume my preference for typed notes is due to the fact that currently, at university, my notes for exams can (start out, before being condensed/edited) end up being at 10-15 (sometimes more :eek:) pages which would take far too much time to write out by hand. Additionally, I don't write in exams anyway due to my disability (I either type or have a scribe write for me), so that might be why I have a stronger preference for typed notes.

But, y'know, everyone's different.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of disability do you have?
Original post by honeydr

I always used to write out notes summarizing text books

However now I use resources sheets our teachers give us and I highlight my CGP revision guide. Using these as a set of notes. Then lots of questions and past paper.
I study maths bio history chem

Remember recall and practice will help you remember.
Original post by Bubblewrap167
If you don't mind me asking, what type of disability do you have?

Well, I have access to a scribe/computer for my physical disability, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobile type. So if I've recently dislocated shoulders writing can be very difficult for example (I'm also ambidextrous, so sometimes I can just write with the other hand). Having said that, over the years it's gotten worse and writing for even short lengths of time (e.g. ~10 minutes) can be impossible. Sometimes typing can be hard to do as well (hence the scribe in exams) and then I don't type, I just talk at my laptop and it writes what I say.
Original post by Pathway
Well, I have access to a scribe/computer for my physical disability, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobile type. So if I've recently dislocated shoulders writing can be very difficult for example (I'm also ambidextrous, so sometimes I can just write with the other hand). Having said that, over the years it's gotten worse and writing for even short lengths of time (e.g. ~10 minutes) can be impossible. Sometimes typing can be hard to do as well (hence the scribe in exams) and then I don't type, I just talk at my laptop and it writes what I say.

It must be difficult but you're doing fine so I guess thats what counts :redface:
Original post by Bubblewrap167
It must be difficult but you're doing fine so I guess thats what counts :redface:

Yeah. :h: It's all about finding what works for you!
I do a mix; I have handwritten notes and then I make questions based on the handwritten notes in Word and save the questions in specific folders. Then when I revise stuff, I highlight my notes, re-write from memory and then answer the questions that I made on those notes (saving the answers in different folders).

Das what I do :biggrin:
For me there's something infinitely more satisfying about handwriting it, don't know what. But it feels more fufilling, and i can sort of clutch it and hold it and show it off (does that bit sound awkward? ;L) to other people [because i do creative writing in my notes!].

Best regards
Francis
Reply 15
Original post by Leviathan1741
I prefer to type all of my notes, because that way it's easier to edit/update them, and it also means that I can keep all of my notes together in documents/folders on my laptop, rather than having to search through heavy ring-binders and lever arch folders trying to find the notes I need :smile:

Thats what I like about it but everyone says you only remember stuff if you write them
Original post by honeydr
Thats what I like about it but everyone says you only remember stuff if you write them

There may be some truth to that, but I didn't have any trouble remembering the information from my typed notes. I handwrite things slowly, so it would've taken me far too long to write out all of my notes several times, which is why I chose to type them and read over them until I remembered them instead :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest