The Student Room Group

Law Universities? Bristol vs. QMUL vs. Warwick

So currently I have a conditional offer from Bristol, Queen Mary, Nottingham and Warwick for law, and I was wondering which uni I should firm.

Can someone explain things like
- employability

thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They are all extremely good universities and very similar in reputation/employability, but Bristol, I believe, has the edge. There was a report somewhere (that keeps being posted) showing what percentage of successful training contract applicants went to which uni, and Bristol appears the most of the three. Like I said, both are great unis, so take location into account too.

Congrats btw! Can I ask what you got at GCSE please
Thank you!

For my gcses, i did decently. One B and the rest As or A*s
Bristol for the rep, the location and the uni feel.
What would you say about Nottingham then? I haven't heard back from them but it was one of my choices
Original post by overeverything
What would you say about Nottingham then? I haven't heard back from them but it was one of my choices

Same sort of standard as the others you listed. Imo it goes as follows, from what I've read and researched (I like to think I'm spot on haha):

Oxford + Cambridge
----------------------------
UCL + LSE
----------------------------
KCL, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham (probably QMUL too)
-----------------------------
Manchester, York, Birmingham, Exeter etc

Bristol is seen by large City firms as a top uni to recruit from as it is like an Oxbridge post-interview reject uni, which is by no means something to be too upset about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by overeverything
So currently I have a conditional offer from Bristol, Queen Mary and Warwick for law, and I was wondering which uni I should firm.

Can someone explain things like
- employability

thank you!

In terms of reputation, I would go for QMUL, but Warwick and Bristol are really close behind. It would be better for you to study in London, given that a lot of events and workshops are usually held in London, but law firms usually go to the universities that you've just mentioned. All in all, in my opinion, I would go for QMUL, but you can't go wrong with either one of them.
Reply 7
Original post by zero_gravity
In terms of reputation, I would go for QMUL, but Warwick and Bristol are really close behind. It would be better for you to study in London, given that a lot of events and workshops are usually held in London, but law firms usually go to the universities that you've just mentioned. All in all, in my opinion, I would go for QMUL, but you can't go wrong with either one of them.

QMUL definitely does not have a better rep than Bristol or Warwick. Their entry requirements are simply very inflated.
Original post by *Stefan*
QMUL definitely does not have a better rep than Bristol or Warwick. Their entry requirements are simply very inflated.

Well, I'm only specifically referring to their law programme, not necessarily the overall reputation.
Reply 9
Well, I'm only specifically referring to their law programme, not necessarily the overall reputation.

That's what I'm referring to as well... :P
That's what I'm referring to as well... :P

Well, the fact that it is situated in London makes it a better option for law students, but then this is just my opinion. I do believe Warwick and Bristol are equally great schools. :smile:

QMUL does not have a better reputation for law than Bristol and Warwick.
Reply 12
Well, the fact that it is situated in London makes it a better option for law students, but then this is just my opinion. I do believe Warwick and Bristol are equally great schools. :smile:

Even if you factor the location, it still isn't in central London, unlike LSE/UCL/KCL. That is hardly an advantage.

And even if it were in central London, more firms actually visit Warwick and especially Bristol than QMUL.
Even if you factor the location, it still isn't in central London, unlike LSE/UCL/KCL. That is hardly an advantage.

And even if it were in central London, more firms actually visit Warwick and especially Bristol than QMUL.

Fair enough, but there are events that are usually held in London that would be more convenient for students from QMUL to attend. Not saying that it would be difficult for students from Warwick or Bristol to attend though. :smile:

For your information, we aren't discussing LSE, UCL, or KCL in this thread. We are merely looking at Warwick, Bristol, and QMUL.
Reply 14
Fair enough, but there are events that are usually held in London that would be more convenient for students from QMUL to attend. Not saying that it would be difficult for students from Warwick or Bristol to attend though. :smile:

For your information, we aren't discussing LSE, UCL, or KCL in this thread. We are merely looking at Warwick, Bristol, and QMUL.

Yeah but that doesn't add to the reputation of the unis at hand. And by events do you mean actual schemes, like first year insights and vac schemes and so on? Even people from Durham attend these.

I know, I'm just showing that the location of QMUL is hardly an advantage in London - it's away from all the fun.
Yeah but that doesn't add to the reputation of the unis at hand. And by events do you mean actual schemes, like first year insights and vac schemes and so on? Even people from Durham attend these.

I know, I'm just showing that the location of QMUL is hardly an advantage in London - it's away from all the fun.

Not just schemes, but events in general, like insight days as well as other third-party events which host law firms to do talks.

Of course other universities can attend them, but I'm just stating that it is more convenient for students in London. It gives you a slight advantage; I'm not saying that the reputation is better by a mile between QMUL and Warwick and Bristol per se, but I think it does give you somewhat of an advantage by being in London.

It also depends on OP's consideration of other factors, so it's not set in concrete that QMUL is the best choice.
bristol and warwick are too sick fam
Reply 17
Not just schemes, but events in general, like insight days as well as other third-party events which host law firms to do talks.

Of course other universities can attend them, but I'm just stating that it is more convenient for students in London. It gives you a slight advantage; I'm not saying that the reputation is better by a mile between QMUL and Warwick and Bristol per se, but I think it does give you somewhat of an advantage by being in London.

It also depends on OP's consideration of other factors, so it's not set in concrete that QMUL is the best choice.

I'm not really following you here so let's just agree to disagree...
I take IB so my offer was 36 points in total with 18 points with my Higher Level subjects
I'm not really following you here so let's just agree to disagree...

What I'm saying is that it is in my opinion that QMUL has better reputation than Bristol and Warwick, even though the difference is not too significant to justify whether or not the OP should choose QMUL or not, factoring in everything that he just stated (which includes employability and the overall course itself). Like I said, the OP can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned unis. Just my two cents here.

But yeah, let's agree to disagree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending