The Student Room Group

Not doing a specific subject's exams.

EDIT: I've decided to do the exams anyway.

Thread can be closed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
So basically I have an offer from a uni that has AAB requirements on its website:
"Obtain grade B in an A-Level in addition to those already obtained"
My grades are AACa (a: AS Further Maths)

I'm currently on a gap year (ish - I still attend college)

Due to funding reasons I had to do at least 3 subjects.
I study
A2 Maths (retaking two exams in an effort to boost from A to A*),
A2 Further Maths (to complete the A-Level) and
AS Physics (Never done before, had to do this as I had no other choice, didn't want to retake Spanish - got C)

I put down that I was gonna do the Physics AS on my application.

Let's say I get an A*A in Maths and FM, my A-Level grades would be A*AAC

As you can tell the offer basically means "Obtain grade B in Further Maths"
So essentially, I could get B in F-Maths and an U in AS Physics and still get accepted.

I was wondering if I should kindly email the university and ask what they think about me not doing the Physics exams as there's no point anyway?
This email would have to be perfectly worded, the email would just consist of me asking for their advice on this matter rather than telling them I'm not doing the exam

I will still go to the lessons and learn, just not do the exams at the end of the year?

What do you guys think. I'm not planning to not do the exams, but I just recently thought of this as it would make my life easier. I wouldn't mind doing the Physics exams in May/June..

Your offers are made on the basis that what you say in your application is true. If that is no longer the case, then the universities have the right to remove your offer. You need to discuss their position with them, not take unilateral action. Some will mind, some won't, but you can't second guess.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Your offers are made on the basis that what you say in your application is true. If that is no longer the case, then the universities have the right to remove your offer. You need to discuss their position with them, not take unilateral action. Some will mind, some won't, but you can't second guess.

Yes of course I was definitely going to email them first asking this, I was just wondering if it would come across as "lazy" or whatever?
Yes of course I was definitely going to email them first asking this, I was just wondering if it would come across as "lazy" or whatever?

If you were an admissions tutor, what would you think?
Reply 4
If you were an admissions tutor, what would you think?

I mean yeah sure but it's not a part of my offer so as far as I'm concerned the grade doesn't matter anyway..
Should I just do the exams and forget about this idea lol
I mean yeah sure but it's not a part of my offer so as far as I'm concerned the grade doesn't matter anyway..

I would.

personally, i wouldn't email them bec it may come across as off key and i wouldnt wanna spoil my offer
they only want the B in FM, so i would just spend my time revising maths and FM and leave none for physics :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by chickenfoot
personally, i wouldn't email them bec it may come across as off key and i wouldnt wanna spoil my offer
they only want the B in FM, so i would just spend my time revising maths and FM and leave none for physics :smile:

Yeah that's true, thanks for you advice, I'm not gonna email them rather focus on FM :smile: Thank you!
Reply 8
I would.

One more question, say I end up with a B or higher for Further Maths but I get something dreadful for Physics (C-U); heck lets say I end up with a U. They can't reject me right?

Taken straight from the UCAS Track offer: "This offer is subject to you obtaining: By 18th August 2016 obtain grade B in one A-level in addition to those already obtained, excluding General Studies/Critical Thinking"
Reply 9
One more question, say I end up with a B or higher for Further Maths but I get something dreadful for Physics (C-U); heck lets say I end up with a U. They can't reject me right?

Taken straight from the UCAS Track offer: "This offer is subject to you obtaining: By 18th August 2016 obtain grade B in one A-level in addition to those already obtained, excluding General Studies/Critical Thinking"

You told them you would be taking FM to A2, so yes you can get the required B in that to satisfy the requirement.

But you should be aiming to get better than a U in Physics AS for the sake of your future CV...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
You told them you would be taking FM to A2, so yes you can get the required B in that to satisfy the requirement.

But you should be aiming to get better than a U in Physics AS for the sake of your future CV...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course I will be aiming for higher. It's just I will always prioritise FM over AS Physics so my grade might slack a bit. (Definitely not as low as U). I was just creating the worse case scenario
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Of course I will be aiming for higher. It's just I will always prioritise FM over AS Physics so my grade might slack a bit. (Definitely not as low as U). I was just creating the worse case scenario

In which case you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
In which case you'll be fine :smile:

Thank you btw! :biggrin:

If you meet the offer, it makes no difference how you make it. Although you might find yourself embarrassed in the company of your future peers.
Reply 14
If you meet the offer, it makes no difference how you make it. Although you might find yourself embarrassed in the company of your future peers.

As mentioned above I'm not aiming for a U. Just creating the worst case scenario as I wasn't sure how the offer worked. I'm predicted A*Aa :smile:.
Thank you for your help
As mentioned above I'm not aiming for a U. Just creating the worst case scenario as I wasn't sure how the offer worked. I'm predicted A*Aa :smile:.
Thank you for your help

You're welcome.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending