The Student Room Group

How much do you want to earn in your 20s,30s,40s...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
Jesus some people have really unrealistic expectations and they're going to be very disappointed when they're older.

3rd typical response on these threads. Just give your numbers and get off your pedestal, cheers.
Original post by under8ed
What subject r u doing?:smile:

Data Science (Maths, CompSci and Statistics)
Original post by Xysoo
Link?

lol, that number is definitely wrong.

I have been interviewing for PE - applicants to offer ratio is like 1-2%. Most applicants come from IB, with ofc some from other industries like Big 4 / Consulting / Other finance related, but IB is lion share of applicants.

PE also only take cream of the crop. Most are biased towards BB applicants, and then even within that pool the people progressing through their rounds will be the top 10%.

edit: also depends on what they define as buyside. I am only referring to mid & large cap PE here. But their report might define buyside as WM, PE, asset management, pension funds etc

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/192835/goldman-morgan-stanley-juniors-rushing-buy-side/

It might just be an aggregate figure, definitely depends on class sizes/how many people choose to recruit for the buyside.
If i'm not earning 35-40k by the time i'm 30 i'll consider myself to have failed at life
Reply 64
Original post by Princepieman
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/192835/goldman-morgan-stanley-juniors-rushing-buy-side/

It might just be an aggregate figure, definitely depends on class sizes/how many people choose to recruit for the buyside.

Have seen that before. By "buy side" they dont just mean large/mid cap PE, but other investing roles too. I

Also buyside conversion at GS/MS is not representative of conversion at all banks. The large/mid cap PE market is heavily biased towards GS/MS.

Also, the data is from the US which has a much bigger PE industry than here in Europe.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wish: 50k, 100k, 200k
Ideal: 40k, 80k, 120k
Acceptable: 30k, 60k, 80k
Millionaire late twenties, multimillionaire for the rest of my life.
Nobody quote me.
Nobody ask me how.
Just know that it is going to happen, one way or another.
And everyone saying that people aren't being realistic, well we don't need to be. The forum is what do we want to earn not what do we actually think we actually will earn. nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Like no one here is actually going to be shocked if we don't end up earning 200k...
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
And everyone saying that people aren't being realistic, well we don't need to be. The forum is what do we want to earn not what do we actually think we actually will earn. nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Like no one here is actually going to be shocked if we don't end up earning 200k...

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cherryred90s
Millionaire late twenties, multimillionaire for the rest of my life.
Nobody quote me.
Nobody ask me how.
Just know that it is going to happen, one way or another.

A millionaire in your twenties *tut tut*
Now how exactly are you planning on doing that
Original post by HamzahPatel
A millionaire in your twenties *tut tut*
Now how exactly are you planning on doing that

You'll soon see my friend
People are being so unrealistic, I'd be happy with 30-45k.
Salary wise: 35k, 40k, 50k, and hopefully make good investment decisions along the way and retire asap.
Original post by xxVENUSx
People are being so unrealistic, I'd be happy with 30-45k.

Original post by Princepieman
3rd typical response on these threads. Just give your numbers and get off your pedestal, cheers.

Thats 4.
Original post by Daniel9998
Thats 4.

It's the truth though, why do you need so much money. Unless you're thinking of living in London then you don't need £500k a year.
It's the truth though, why do you need so much money. Unless you're thinking of living in London then you don't need £500k a year.

Not really, there are jobs out there that pay that much and aspiring to achieve that career path isn't unrealistic especially when you have no idea who I am?

And yes I do want to live in London.
Original post by Daniel9998
Not really, there are jobs out there that pay that much and aspiring to achieve that career path isn't unrealistic especially when you have no idea who I am?

And yes I do want to live in London.

Which jobs pay that much anyway?

Depends what you call need. If all you want to do is survive then, yeah, all you'll need is 10k. But if someone wants a lambo then they will need that much.

Finance once e.g. IB, top medicine ones, etc. They do exist and they're not impossible to get into

Investment banking is a main one, running your own successful business, CEOs etc etc.. there are quite a few ways to earn that amount of money.

Quick Reply

Latest