The Student Room Group

Do you find London to be a depressing city?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivy.98
nw ldn

im waiting for u b :wink:

I'm coming from se ldn c u soon xoxoxo :wink:
Original post by oShahpo
I am only a student but London is the babe of all cities. I love it no matter how depressing it might be.

Amen to that
Not particularly depressing, just very exhausting.
Depressing.
I find it unpleasant mostly because of the level of immigrants and I don't like the architectural style much prefer that of Bath or York etc. Also it is over crowded.
Original post by 0xygen
I've lived in London for the past 22 years (born here) but i'm starting to seeLondon to have one of the most depressing atmospheres.

Reasons:

- The weather is always terrible. Its too dull. You have to wake up to cloudy skies and a hidden sun, then sleep to terrible winds and covered stars.

- Its too historic, you don't feel as if its really moving forward with anything. The houses are all the same red brick ugly style (unless you have real £). Its full of museums and dull rivers.

- Tax depresses you. You have a nice salary of £50k? Get ready to give 14k away. You can then try to save your pennies for the next couple of years till you manage to save enough to take a mortgage on a small house outside London.

- NHS is downgrading year after year.

The list goes on.

Any thoughts?

What part of London are you from? Personally I love central London. There's so much to do and there's a nice ambiance about the place but I hate how expensive some of the things are i.e. madam tussauds, London bus tour etc. Also when it gets busy the traffic is crazy!

As with the weather, it's like that in all parts of England. British weather is so crap that we're not getting enough vitamin D lol I guess we just have to live with it or move to Egypt lol

I'm not very fond of museums myself. There's a lot of them in London it's like the centre point of history.

Everything in life is difficult. I guess you just have to work hard cos no ones gonna do it for you. We just have to accept some things, there are people out there who don't even have a shelter to protect them from the storms of this life so that says a lot.
Reply 86
Original post by Andy98
Which uni you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queen Mary atm
Reply 87
Original post by thad33
Silicon Valley is one of the most expensive places to live. It is hardly cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Silicon Valley isn't in LA...
Not at all, go to the central areas, you'll be the who'll feel like you're too depressing for this city.
Original post by AmazingArry
Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not true. In all fairness, I do live in the second city for uni but I've lived in London most my life and Birmingham is far better. You get the beautiful period architecture in the business district and jewelry quarter, in fact there's whole areas of central Birmingham with beautiful architecture and history. The town house, where the council is based, is just spectacular and right next to a great museum and art gallery. Then a 5 minute walk away you've got the largest library in Europe, another 10 minutes in the opposite direction you have the largest train station in Europe and is, technically, the first grand central station. From there walk to the bull ring which is the largest shopping center in Europe. Birmingham is on par with London in terms of industrial development. From the bull another 20 mins walk and you've got the custard factory on digbeth... the center music happening of the UK, where recently in the past 3 years have had several Indie bands playing at Glastonbury and all the many other top notch festivals. There's so much **** to do up in Birmingham, plus housing is far cheaper than London. I've had friend who have rented and entire house for themselves with 4 bedrooms for 500pm with water and council tax bills included and fully furnished. Just saying. Bargain

iv been to birmingham although not for a great reason but the xmas market was good. dont come to northamptonshire though, its **** and theres nothing to do
I could never chose to live in London or the Home Counties.

Spoiler

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That's the deal breaker for me. I flat out refuser to live anywhere near London for this reason.

The countryside further North is far superior. If you like outdoor hobbies the south just doesn't compare. In North of England you have access to Peak District (rock climbers come from all over the place to climb here), Lake District, North Whales, Yorkshire Dales. Then throw in Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, York, Leeds and so on for your city life. You have easy access to amazing countryside and city life if you want it. I do like cities but being able to easily get out on my bike into somewhere like the Peak District is far more important. Where I live I have the Peaks on my doorstep and Manchester city centre is a 25min train journey away.

Living in London would really badly effect my mental health.

Yep, I want to get back to Derbyshire asap. Most beautiful place in UK imo and home.
Reply 91
Original post by 0xygen
I've lived in London for the past 22 years (born here) but i'm starting to seeLondon to have one of the most depressing atmospheres.

Reasons:

- The weather is always terrible. Its too dull. You have to wake up to cloudy skies and a hidden sun, then sleep to terrible winds and covered stars.

- Its too historic, you don't feel as if its really moving forward with anything. The houses are all the same red brick ugly style (unless you have real £). Its full of museums and dull rivers.

- Tax depresses you. You have a nice salary of £50k? Get ready to give 14k away. You can then try to save your pennies for the next couple of years till you manage to save enough to take a mortgage on a small house outside London.

- NHS is downgrading year after year.

The list goes on.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you would be terribly bored with living in the same city for the past 22 years

Perhaps that would explain why you don't like it so much now

Also I think your reasons for disliking the city could also apply to another big city in the UK
i quite admire how londoners go about their business. i like the tube in a masochistic way
Reply 93
I used to love London but after living here for uni, I'm not so keen. It's just too busy and big for me.
Reply 94
Its about perspective. There is a lot to do in London out of the ordinary, ofcourse it can be miserable sometimes but the weather will not change for anyone so you should do whatever you please!
Reply 95
Original post by 0xygen
Queen Mary atm

Ahhhh, I'm gonna be up north

Posted from TSR Mobile
the Yorkshire countryside is better tbh
I think your world as a whole is depressing.

Spoiler

Original post by 0xygen

Any thoughts?

personally i think the historic old buildings in london are incredible - people come from all over the world to see them still standing, and rich people pay stupid money to live in them
Reply 99
Original post by ivy.98
go to central.

i live in a shithole so i feel ya gurl

Part of london you from?

Quick Reply

Latest