The Student Room Group

HELP!! Conditional Offers Impossible to Meet!!

Hi, I am currently in a huge dilemma. I have currently received 3/5 offers from my university applications, these are - Durham, Bucks New (UCFB) and Northampton (studied at UCFB - Wembley). All of these offers are conditional.

The condition for Durham is obtaining "DDD from BTEC Diploma" which applies to the Extended Diploma (QCF), and the other two are MMM with one specifying specifically "from BTEC Extended Diploma).

Here is where my problem lies, I am not studying on the Extended Diploma, my Diploma is the 120 Credit Diploma (worth 2 A-Levels) so therefore all of these offers are impossible for me to meet. On my UCAS application, there was no option (as far as I can recall) to choose which credit level Diploma I am studying so it simply states "BTEC Diploma" at Level 3, meaning that this was an assumption made by the universities.

Basically I am panicking here as I may not get into anywhere as my qualification has been misinterpreted by the 3/5 of my choices. Where do I stand with this? Does anyone have any recommendations for my next steps and how I approach this HUGE issue?

I really hope someone can help me here and simply give me some hope!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Daniel Callaghan
Original post by danny_cc
Hi, I am currently in a huge dilemma. I have currently received 3/5 offers from my university applications, these are - Durham, Bucks New (UCFB) and Northampton (studied at UCFB - Wembley). All of these offers are conditional.

The condition for Durham is obtaining "DDD from BTEC Diploma" which applies to the Extended Diploma (QCF), and the other two are MMM with one specifying specifically "from BTEC Extended Diploma).

Here is where my problem lies, I am not studying on the Extended Diploma, my Diploma is the 120 Credit Diploma (worth 2 A-Levels) so therefore all of these offers are impossible for me to meet. On my UCAS application, there was no option (as far as I can recall) to choose which credit level Diploma I am studying so it simply states "BTEC Diploma" at Level 3, meaning that this was an assumption made by the universities.

Basically I am panicking here as I may not get into anywhere as my qualification has been misinterpreted by the 3/5 of my choices. Where do I stand with this? Does anyone have any recommendations for my next steps and how I approach this HUGE issue?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Daniel Callaghan

Contact all of your choices and ask for clarification but as you normally need 3 a levels to get into university it appears they got confused .

Thanks a lot in advance,
Daniel Callaghan

Level three BTECs are either Award (equal to 1 A-level), Certificate (equal to 2) or Diploma (equal to 3) so I think the qualification you are studying is the BTEC Certificate. It's definitely possible to add this qualification on to a UCAS application. The BTEC diploma is shown on the list of popular qualifications, but you can search for the certificate and it comes up to add to your application.

This means you've completed your application showing a qualification you're not taking, and unis have given offers on the basis that you're sitting the qualification you said you were. It sounds totally unintentional, but this is actually considered fraudulent.

You need to contact UCAS and all the unis you've applied to ASAP and explain that you made a mistake. Unfortunately, this does mean unis can withdraw the offers they've given, and this is what's likely to happen given that you're taking a qualification worth less UCAS points.

There's no way around this- and being found out once you get your results could have worse consequences. In your shoes I would contact UCAS ASAP on Monday. It might also be worth speaking to your college on Monday as they should have checked your qualifications when your application was posted off.

I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Contact all of your choices and ask for clarification but as you normally need 3 a levels to get into university it appears they got confused .

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Level three BTECs are either Award (equal to 1 A-level), Certificate (equal to 2) or Diploma (equal to 3) so I think the qualification you are studying is the BTEC Certificate. It's definitely possible to add this qualification on to a UCAS application. The BTEC diploma is shown on the list of popular qualifications, but you can search for the certificate and it comes up to add to your application.

This means you've completed your application showing a qualification you're not taking, and unis have given offers on the basis that you're sitting the qualification you said you were. It sounds totally unintentional, but this is actually considered fraudulent.

You need to contact UCAS and all the unis you've applied to ASAP and explain that you made a mistake. Unfortunately, this does mean unis can withdraw the offers they've given, and this is what's likely to happen given that you're taking a qualification worth less UCAS points.

There's no way around this- and being found out once you get your results could have worse consequences. In your shoes I would contact UCAS ASAP on Monday. It might also be worth speaking to your college on Monday as they should have checked your qualifications when your application was posted off.

I'm sorry this isn't what you want to hear.

Thank you both for your advice, it really doesn't look good does it? The Qualification that I am currently studying is a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Enterprise & Entrepreneurship (The Peter Jones Enterprise Academy) and it is definitely listed as a Diploma and not an Award or Certificate but, from what I understand, there a three tiers of diploma (stated in my original post), this must be correct as one of my choices have contacted me to ask which credit Diploma I am studying (which is when the problem came to my attention).

Thanks a lot, I will be discussing this in length with my college as soon as I arrive tomorrow with regards to my next steps.
Daniel Callaghan
Reply 4
Although, looking at the entry requirements for Durham alone. Based on the UCAS points of their requirements, I have/will have 10 more points than they require including two of my AS levels. Would this be something to work in my favour??
Reply 5
Are you only doing the BTEC Diploma? Surely you would have had to do an extra A level or Subsidiary Diploma alongside the Diploma? As is is only worth 2 A levels where for most universities you need the equivalent of 3 A levels
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
Are you only doing the BTEC Diploma? Surely you would have had to do an extra A level or Subsidiary Diploma alongside the Diploma? As is is only worth 2 A levels where for most universities you need the equivalent of 3 A levels

I am currently studying on a 120 Credit BTEC Diploma. As stated in my last post, I studied AS-Levels which, given my best two, would make up the amount of UCAS points equivalent to the 'required' A-Levels.

Some/most Undergraduate Degrees give an option of the traditional A-Levels or some other qualification(s) that is/are equivalent. And some 'require' A-Levels but also review each applicant on an individual basis, holistically.

I have, 3 AS-Levels, a BTEC Extended Certificate at D*, all of my GCSE's at grade C or above (some BTEC Certificates/Extended Certificates/Awards amongst them), and will have a BTEC Level 3 120 Credit Diploma at D*D* by June (if I continue at my current level). So I don't (personally) think I am short of qualifications to get into University but they seem to have misunderstood my qualifications which is, if nothing else, rather annoying and slightly disheartening.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am currently studying on a 120 Credit BTEC Diploma. As stated in my last post, I studied AS-Levels which, given my best two, would make up the amount of UCAS points equivalent to the 'required' A-Levels.

Some/most Undergraduate Degrees give an option of the traditional A-Levels or some other qualification(s) that is/are equivalent. And some 'require' A-Levels but also review each applicant on an individual basis, holistically.

I have, 3 AS-Levels, a BTEC Extended Certificate at D*, all of my GCSE's at grade C or above (some BTEC Certificates/Extended Certificates/Awards amongst them), and will have a BTEC Level 3 120 Credit Diploma at D*D* by June (if I continue at my current level). So I don't (personally) think I am short of qualifications to get into University but they seem to have misunderstood my qualifications which is, if nothing else, rather annoying and slightly disheartening.

It doesn't really matter what you think about your qualifications (this isn't meant to sound rude, sorry!) because this is a mistake that needs to be cleared up. It may be that the universities don't think you are under-qualified either, but as it stands, you are going to get rejected in the summer when the results come out because they will not match your offer, and that will mean you'll have lost your place and be in Clearing before you even know your results yourself. You need to sort this out long before that, as a matter of self-protection as much as anything else.
Reply 8

I understand, that is certainly annoying, although universities as good as Durham sometimes will not accept 2 AS levels instead of one full A level and tend not to deal with UCAS points either, however, they do accept 2 AS levels in place of one full A level for some of their courses, what have you applied to study ?
Reply 9
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It doesn't really matter what you think about your qualifications (this isn't meant to sound rude, sorry!) because this is a mistake that needs to be cleared up. It may be that the universities don't think you are under-qualified either, but as it stands, you are going to get rejected in the summer when the results come out because they will not match your offer, and that will mean you'll have lost your place and be in Clearing before you even know your results yourself. You need to sort this out long before that, as a matter of self-protection as much as anything else.

I know that my view doesn't really count for much in the eyes of the admissions teams. But, according to the tariff tables on the UCAS website, the 90 credit diploma is known as "90 Credit Diploma", the 120 Credit Diploma is know as "Diploma" and the 180 Credit Extended Diploma is known as "Extended Diploma".

My qualification is listed as "Diploma" which is the 120 Credit diploma and nothing else so surely this is a fault on the side of the universities (I really hope that doesn't come across as me trying to push the blame off of myself) and not mine. Of course it falls to me to rectify this issue but I'm sure it is a misinterpretation of my qualification and nothing that I have done wrong.
I know that my view doesn't really count for much in the eyes of the admissions teams. But, according to the tariff tables on the UCAS website, the 90 credit diploma is known as "90 Credit Diploma", the 120 Credit Diploma is know as "Diploma" and the 180 Credit Extended Diploma is known as "Extended Diploma".

My qualification is listed as "Diploma" which is the 120 Credit diploma and nothing else so surely this is a fault on the side of the universities (I really hope that doesn't come across as me trying to push the blame off of myself) and not mine. Of course it falls to me to rectify this issue but I'm sure it is a misinterpretation of my qualification and nothing that I have done wrong.

I'm not making any comment on your qualifications. I am saying that until you rectify whatever mistake has been made, by whoever, you will be the loser, so you need to do something now.
Reply 11
Original post by yt7777
I understand, that is certainly annoying, although universities as good as Durham sometimes will not accept 2 AS levels instead of one full A level and tend not to deal with UCAS points either, however, they do accept 2 AS levels in place of one full A level for some of their courses, what have you applied to study ?

I have applied to study Business and Management with Business Placement (N203) so hopefully, when rectifying this issue, I can try to sway it more in my direction. Isn't it the case that (with regards to UCAS points) you can use a maximum of 3 qualifications? Or is that just something I've made up?
I'm not making any comment on your qualifications. I am saying that until you rectify whatever mistake has been made, by whoever, you will be the loser, so you need to do something now.
I fully understand and appreciate your concern and advice, I certainly hope I didn't sound as though I was implying that you were questioning my qualifications as I completely understand that you weren't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey, I've had to be in contact with universities a lot over my BTEC grades as I do business BTEC, and they have all been extremely understanding after I have emailed them, and have then proceeded to allow me to keep my offer. All I would suggest is email them, if there's no response in a week call them, and as long as you are polite and explain the situation I don't see why they wouldn't understand.
Reply 13
I have applied to study Business and Management with Business Placement (N203) so hopefully, when rectifying this issue, I can try to sway it more in my direction. Isn't it the case that (with regards to UCAS points) you can use a maximum of 3 qualifications? Or is that just something I've made up?

I have heard that but it totally depends on the university, for top unis, such as Durham, they dont deal with UCAS points, they specify specific qualifications for entry, this is usually A levels, IB, Highers or BTEC, and with some unis they only recognise the Extended Diploma (not sure if that applies to Durham) so wont take a mix of qualifications

You should call their admissions tomorrow and try and speak to someone, thats the quickest way you will get to sort something out
Reply 14
Original post by tarahghs
Hey, I've had to be in contact with universities a lot over my BTEC grades as I do business BTEC, and they have all been extremely understanding after I have emailed them, and have then proceeded to allow me to keep my offer. All I would suggest is email them, if there's no response in a week call them, and as long as you are polite and explain the situation I don't see why they wouldn't understand.

Thank you very much for your support, that has made me panic a little less now (maybe I shouldn't). I have no doubt that they will be understanding, I already have a contact with Durham's Admissions team as they had to contact me regarding one of my GCSE's so I will likely send an email to her tomorrow (in addition to the other two).

Thank you!!

Original post by yt7777
I have heard that but it totally depends on the university, for top unis, such as Durham, they dont deal with UCAS points, they specify specific qualifications for entry, this is usually A levels, IB, Highers or BTEC, and with some unis they only recognise the Extended Diploma (not sure if that applies to Durham) so wont take a mix of qualifications

You should call their admissions tomorrow and try and speak to someone, thats the quickest way you will get to sort something out

In the entry requirements for my course they state that they will only accept AAB from A-Levels so I was quite proud that they even considered me but I'm probably pushing it a little bit if I then tell them that I don't have an Extended Diploma (or I'm not studying one anyway) but it has to be done so I'll just have to wait and see. As stated above I will contact the lady who has previously contacted me and explain the situation to her in a very thought out email first as I'm almost sure that if I ring, I will forget to say something whereas with an email I can make sure it's perfect.
contact ucas call up the unis and explain the situation they may amend your offer they are however more likely to withdraw it you can always go through extra or clearing if this happens but at least you won't be in jail.
Original post by jonathanemptage
contact ucas call up the unis and explain the situation they may amend your offer they are however more likely to withdraw it you can always go through extra or clearing if this happens but at least you won't be in jail.

It is not Ucas which makes offers. It is universities. Ucas is the postman.
It is not Ucas which makes offers. It is universities. Ucas is the postman.

Yeah but UCAS can help with advice or even amend the application .
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah but UCAS can help with advice or even amend the application .

That is true, and the universities will have to send any amended offers to Ucas.
Thank you both for your advice, it really doesn't look good does it? The Qualification that I am currently studying is a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Enterprise & Entrepreneurship (The Peter Jones Enterprise Academy) and it is definitely listed as a Diploma and not an Award or Certificate but, from what I understand, there a three tiers of diploma (stated in my original post), this must be correct as one of my choices have contacted me to ask which credit Diploma I am studying (which is when the problem came to my attention).

Thanks a lot, I will be discussing this in length with my college as soon as I arrive tomorrow with regards to my next steps.
Daniel Callaghan

Although, looking at the entry requirements for Durham alone. Based on the UCAS points of their requirements, I have/will have 10 more points than they require including two of my AS levels. Would this be something to work in my favour??

Ok, it does seem like there has been some confusion over the exact name of the qualification. It seems like discussing this with your college would be a great first step and hopefully they can clarify if the qualification was definitely entered correctly on your UCAS form.

Without wishing to jump to conclusions, it does seem odd that three unis have come to the same wrong conclusion about the qualification you have taken. There are a lot of BTEC options on the UCAS form, and you say yourself you're not 100% sure you entered it correctly. After speaking to your college, I would speak to UCAS next to confirm the qualification you have entered is the qualification you think you have entered.

Once you've spoken to UCAS, you should then contact the unis who have given you offers and explain what has happened.

If you have made a mistake on the form, unis can chose to withdraw your offer. If you are also taking other qualifications, they could chose to change your offer to reflect this.

If the confusion has occurred for some other reason, I would ask UCAS what it's normal for unis to do in this situation.

I hope you get an outcome you want, and please do come back to the thread to update us once you've found out what happened, and we may be able to better advise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending