The Student Room Group

What A Level should I pick along with Maths, Economics and RS?

I have already handed in my A level options in which I put Maths, Economics, RS and Psychology down. However recently I've been having second thoughts about Psychology. Although it sounds very interesting (which I why I picked it), I don't think it will benefit me much compared to other A Level subjects, as universities don't tend to respect it as much. Also, Economics and Psychology are both brand new subjects in our school so 2 new subjects would probably be too difficult for me to handle.

I am now picking between Biology, Geography and Psychology. In my mocks I got an A* in Biology and an A in Geography. I quite like Biology (it is my favourite science) but the new AQA 2016 specification looks extremely boring and really difficult- I don't really like sitting in Biology lessons anyway. I've recently started to really enjoy Geography but I'm not sure. My friends told me Geography would be a really good option and they told me Psychology would be pretty useless. I want to have subjects that will get me a good grade at A Level and will be respected by unis.

I want to do degree based on Economics at a good uni like UCL, KCL, Warwick, LSE, etc. So which subject out of Psychology, Biology and Geography should I pick and why?

Thank you x
Original post by yiwenzhang
I have already handed in my A level options in which I put Maths, Economics, RS and Psychology down. However recently I've been having second thoughts about Psychology. Although it sounds very interesting (which I why I picked it), I don't think it will benefit me much compared to other A Level subjects, as universities don't tend to respect it as much. Also, Economics and Psychology are both brand new subjects in our school so 2 new subjects would probably be too difficult for me to handle.

I am now picking between Biology, Geography and Psychology. In my mocks I got an A* in Biology and an A in Geography. I quite like Biology (it is my favourite science) but the new AQA 2016 specification looks extremely boring and really difficult- I don't really like sitting in Biology lessons anyway. I've recently started to really enjoy Geography but I'm not sure. My friends told me Geography would be a really good option and they told me Psychology would be pretty useless. I want to have subjects that will get me a good grade at A Level and will be respected by unis.

I want to do degree based on Economics at a good uni like UCL, KCL, Warwick, LSE, etc. So which subject out of Psychology, Biology and Geography should I pick and why?

Thank you x

Psychology is classed as a science by some universities so it can be useful for certain things. Personally, I'd pick geography but that's just a preference I have (it also links with economics pretty well). Only you know what you're likely to enjoy studying.
Reply 2
choose what you like!
Reply 3
DO NOT PICK PSYCHOLOGY THE RESEARCH METHODS IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO IN MY LIFE (and I hated GCSE physics so that is saying something...)

I really like bio and all of my friends in my classes that do geo love it so you should do the one you perform better at in GCSE
Hi!

I'm doing the new spec and it's pretty boring ngl. I've always loved biology and now it's much less enjoyable. Of course, everyone is different but if you're already not loving a subject at GCSE, I wouldn't take it for A-Level. Personally, in your situation I'd choose Geography; it links better with Economics and if you're enjoying it more you should have more motivation to revise and therefore get higher grades. From what I've heard and seen, the AS Geography course is very similar to GCSE content wise so if you're enjoying GCSE, you'll probs like A-Level too. Geography will be getting a new spec in 2016 so I'd find out which exam board your college/sixth form will do (the most common is Edexcel at A-Level) and look at the proposed new specs and content.
Reply 5
Original post by AfcFob
DO NOT PICK PSYCHOLOGY THE RESEARCH METHODS IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO IN MY LIFE (and I hated GCSE physics so that is saying something...)

I really like bio and all of my friends in my classes that do geo love it so you should do the one you perform better at in GCSE

Thank you very much :smile: yeah I looked through the psychology spec and the research methods do look awful haha (I hate physics too, it's my least favourite subject!)
Reply 6
Original post by hoafanuk
Hi!

I'm doing the new spec and it's pretty boring ngl. I've always loved biology and now it's much less enjoyable. Of course, everyone is different but if you're already not loving a subject at GCSE, I wouldn't take it for A-Level. Personally, in your situation I'd choose Geography; it links better with Economics and if you're enjoying it more you should have more motivation to revise and therefore get higher grades. From what I've heard and seen, the AS Geography course is very similar to GCSE content wise so if you're enjoying GCSE, you'll probs like A-Level too. Geography will be getting a new spec in 2016 so I'd find out which exam board your college/sixth form will do (the most common is Edexcel at A-Level) and look at the proposed new specs and content.

Thank you so much!:smile: Yeah I looked at the new spec already (in which we're doing Edexcel) and it looks decent cos there's no rivers yay😂 I'm leaning onto geog rn, I'll just see if I can get an A* in GCSE lol
Reply 7
Original post by mscaffrey
Psychology is classed as a science by some universities so it can be useful for certain things. Personally, I'd pick geography but that's just a preference I have (it also links with economics pretty well). Only you know what you're likely to enjoy studying.

thank you! I was thinking the same about Geog linking to economics :smile:
If you want to do economics at a good university i would recommend doing Further Maths as your fourth AS and if your get good grades in it carry it on to A2 as top university love further maths . :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by pyxis
choose what you like!

thanks, I like/am interested in all of them- that's the problem 😭
Out of the options you listed, geography because it links relatively well with economics.

Although, if you're more mathematically inclined then I'd definitely recommend further maths since all the London units love it and it'll help you do better in your normal maths A level.
Reply 11
Original post by erfanullah
If you want to do economics at a good university i would recommend doing Further Maths as your fourth AS and if your get good grades in it carry it on to A2 as top university love further maths . :smile:

Thank you. However, in our school, if we do Further Maths, it means we have to still take 4 other A Levels, so 5 A Levels all together 😭 this girl who does further maths told me it's too much extra work, even though the content isn't too difficult
Reply 12
Thank you very much :smile: yeah I looked through the psychology spec and the research methods do look awful haha (I hate physics too, it's my least favourite subject!)

If you want to enjoy College do not pick psychology... It ruins my day and I cannot wait to drop it
Reply 13
I actually think they're all pretty good choices and are all respected by uni's. However, I chose Psychology as one of my AS level choices on a whim (my other chosen subject class was full) due to it sounding fairly interesting and I dropped in within the first three lessons. It definetly wasn't what I expected. I have a few friends who have taken both geography and biology and it generally seems that biology is the more difficult of the two. As for not wanting to choose a subject you haven't studied before - don't worry. I hadn't studied law or sociology before and I'm getting straight A's, and with English I'm struggling whereas I got a*s at GCSE. I'd honestly say chose whichever you think you would enjoy more.
Thank you. However, in our school, if we do Further Maths, it means we have to still take 4 other A Levels, so 5 A Levels all together 😭 this girl who does further maths told me it's too much extra work, even though the content isn't too difficult

Then drop something else i would highly recommed you pick Maths, Further maths, Economics and a fourth really easy a-level that you would drop after as and only carry on with the first 3 till A2 . :smile:
Reply 15

Thank you x

I personally would pick Geography based on my own interests. I think it goes really well with Economics and it's not too difficult in my opinion at AS Level at least. The jump between GCSE and AS really isn't too big at all compared to Biology.

I had similar subjects at AS Level with Maths, Economics, Geography and Spanish. I always felt that I would do Economics in some way at university most likely coupling it with a language for more skills. However, after AS Level, I found myself with the lowest grade in Economics meaning I ended up dropping subject of choice at uni. I will say that I wasn't too sad about dropping Economics because I didn't enjoy it as much as I had always thought I would. I think that because it's such a respected degree and I had never done it until AS Level, I mainly liked the idea of doing Economics rather than the work itself. I've now applied for Human Geography which I find more interesting.

My point is that you should definitely pick something that you find easy enough or think you will find doable enough next year to get the best grade possible. At the end of the day, if doing Psychology gets you the best grade, it really doesn't matter whether it's relevant to Economics or not (it might be but I don't really know) and I really don't think you should be worrying about what unis think about psychology cos it's really not that useless I don't think - the grade is more important I think. Although my university application has turned out okay in the end, you don't want to be in the same situation that I am in. As difficult as it may be to get through a year of a subject you may not like the most out of your 3, in the grand scheme of things, it's fine to get the best grade possible in that subject and then drop it after AS. I think with subjects like Psychology and Economics, you do need to be careful however, because they are so new to you (I assume your school doesn't teach them below AS Level), in the case that you don't like Econ for example it's wise to have another option as a backup.

Sorry for the lengthy and at times vague response. Hope you find it useful though.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by sskaria
I personally would pick Geography based on my own interests. I think it goes really well with Economics and it's not too difficult in my opinion at AS Level at least. The jump between GCSE and AS really isn't too big at all compared to Biology.

I had similar subjects at AS Level with Maths, Economics, Geography and Spanish. I always felt that I would do Economics in some way at university most likely coupling it with a language for more skills. However, after AS Level, I found myself with the lowest grade in Economics meaning I ended up dropping subject of choice at uni. I will say that I wasn't too sad about dropping Economics because I didn't enjoy it as much as I had always thought I would. I think that because it's such a respected degree and I had never done it until AS Level, I mainly liked the idea of doing Economics rather than the work itself. I've now applied for Human Geography which I find more interesting.

My point is that you should definitely pick something that you find easy enough or think you will find doable enough next year to get the best grade possible. At the end of the day, if doing Psychology gets you the best grade, it really doesn't matter whether it's relevant to Economics or not (it might be but I don't really know) and I really don't think you should be worrying about what unis think about psychology cos it's really not that useless I don't think - the grade is more important I think. Although my university application has turned out okay in the end, you don't want to be in the same situation that I am in. As difficult as it may be to get through a year of a subject you may not like the most out of your 3, in the grand scheme of things, it's fine to get the best grade possible in that subject and then drop it after AS. I think with subjects like Psychology and Economics, you do need to be careful however, because they are so new to you (I assume your school doesn't teach them below AS Level), in the case that you don't like Econ for example it's wise to have another option as a backup.

Sorry for the lengthy and at times vague response. Hope you find it useful though.:smile:

thank you very much, I think I'll go with geog :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest